Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000.
May 25, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #31 of 51
Anedio D2 should be on your list. Somewhat similar to the Calyx (XMOS based asynchronous USB with Thesycon driver, ESS 9018 DAC) but no need for an external LPS to get the best performance out of it, and it has a volume control. Prime challenger for the NAD.

I don't see any reason not to get asynchronous. I've heard the argument that adaptive and asynchronous are just two peas in the same pod and sorry, but I don't buy it. There's absolutely no reason why the computer should be in charge of the timing, even asynchronous with clock synthesis is better than that. Not all asynchronous is created equal either (see Hiface at the bottom vs. Off-Ramp at the top). Everything I've ever heard about the W4S says it's implementation isn't that good. XMOS is the hot commodity right now. The Anedio uses an odd implementation, basically it's their U2 converter mounted inside the DAC and hard wired to the digital receiver with S/Pdif. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work though, and it achieves galvanic isolation which is important when a laptop is the source.

I just ordered a Wadia 121 yesterday. Seems to be one of cheapest ones with that XMOS chip. If I am not satisfied with the Wadia I will definitely consider that Anedio DAC. Thanks for the info.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 51
The Wadia 121 did not work out. Noise issues with the outputs.

Any other suggestions on DACs? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:
The Wadia 121 did not work out. Noise issues with the outputs.

Any other suggestions on DACs? Thanks.

The Anedio is probably still the best in the sub $2K range, though I've also heard good things about the Audiolab M-DAC which is very affordable, under $1K. There's also the Atoll DAC200 which I think is under $2K, and the Antelope Zodiac Silver is $1895.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 51
Erik, check out Mytek DAC 192. Supports upto 192 including DSD playback and there is volume control (you can either choose analog, digital or bypass the control). Read my review about it.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #37 of 51
^ this

Personally I've listened to w4s-2 and the eximus and I sometimes prefer the w4s, and sometimes prefer the eximus. I feel as if the w4s-2 delivers a more warm sound over the eximus, but I feel they are quite similar with the "filter" button.

Demoed both, plus 2 other dacs at home last week. my favorite without contest was the dp1. You will never know the best dac in your price range without listening.- its the only way

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:
Since I'm looking into something similar myself, I'm personally leaning towards the Grace Design m903. Async USB up to 24/192 and volume controls for each output.

This is what I ended up with after the issues I had with the Wadia 121. 100% satisfied. First time I can say that about my DAC and amp. And the DAC and amp just so happen to be in the same package this time. 
biggrin.gif
 The search is over for me unless I decide to try out some high impedance headphones again. And the only one I would considering buying again is the HD800. In that case I would buy the upcoming amp made specifically for the HD800.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #40 of 51
Hi i am upgrading my DACMAGIC PLUS and want to go eighter the Calyx or the Audiolab Mdac to hock it up via USB, i am just looking for someone who could help sharing his experience on how better is the Calyx above the AUDIOLAB, i would not like to spend almost double for the Calyx and find out that the performance is eighter equal or just a little bit better...

Thanks for reading

Cheers and help needed!

Miguel

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #42 of 51
I'm sorry but I would like you to ask is w5000 and m903 are good match?
I got my new w5000 few days ago and I am really having difficult with choosing amp for my w5000.
Do you prefer ha5000 or m903 for w5000? and what about wa6?
I was thinking wa6, asgard or m903.
I usually listen to jazz and classic and I like tight bass with great high freq. detail.
Do you think m903 and w5000 will be good for me? Or should I go with ha5000?

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #43 of 51
I'm sorry but I would like you to ask is w5000 and m903 are good match?
I got my new w5000 few days ago and I am really having difficult with choosing amp for my w5000.
Do you prefer ha5000 or m903 for w5000? and what about wa6?
I was thinking wa6, asgard or m903.
I usually listen to jazz and classic and I like tight bass with great high freq. detail.
Do you think m903 and w5000 will be good for me? Or should I go with ha5000?

Quote:
This is what I ended up with after the issues I had with the Wadia 121. 100% satisfied. First time I can say that about my DAC and amp. And the DAC and amp just so happen to be in the same package this time. 
biggrin.gif
 The search is over for me unless I decide to try out some high impedance headphones again. And the only one I would considering buying again is the HD800. In that case I would buy the upcoming amp made specifically for the HD800.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #45 of 51
Are you still enjoying the Grace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back