Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000.
May 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 51
I just got the Beyerdynamic T1 and MF M1 DAC yesterday. I would be equally interested to know the DAC that significantly outperforms the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. The MF is an interim solution for the headphone setup as music listening is mostly carried out in the main loudspeaker-based system. 

The Weiss units have been recommended by few friends. The mid-range models should be quite close to $2000, the higher models perhaps slightly more.

May 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 51
I forgot to add that a friend owns the Weiss Minerva and I've listened to it once on a pair of Wilson Sasha. The sound is glorious - sweet, detailed and refined with a tube-like glow to it.

May 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 51
And I went ahead and got the matching HA5000 for my W5000 headphones. The AD2000 also remains while the W3000ANV is on its' way out. The Beyer T1 was the worst offender for me as far as sibilance.

You could keep your rig consistent and get a flagship Audio Technica DAC?

Or sell your lesser favorite of the AD2000 / W5000, sell the HA5000, and try something like Fostex HP-A8 -> Fostex TH900, or Lite DAC-60 -> La Figaro 339 -> Shure SRH-1840.

If I was you, I'd trade in that SE535 for a FI-BA-SS or JH Audio JH11 too. :wink:

May 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

You could keep your rig consistent and get a flagship Audio Technica DAC?

Or sell your lesser favorite of the AD2000 / W5000, sell the HA5000, and try something like Fostex HP-A8 -> Fostex TH900, or Lite DAC-60 -> La Figaro 339 -> Shure SRH-1840.

If I was you, I'd trade in that SE535 for a FI-BA-SS or JH Audio JH11 too. :wink:

No thanks... 
confused_face.gif

May 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:
well you asked for options and advice, most people think those IEM's are clearly better than the SE535 so I was just putting it out there.

This thread is for USB DAC recommendations. Nothing about replacing my IEMs that I use on the go with my iPhone. 
confused.gif

May 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:
The Fostex has the advantage of DSD / .DSF support, which means you can rip SACD's and play them via USB or on an SD card in the device.

The high-end DAC's such as the Metrum Octave which lack USB require a seperate USB->COAX link unit.

Andare much cheaper, which means you can afford to buy a separate transport. And that also makes them more upgradable.

May 25, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #30 of 51
Anedio D2 should be on your list. Somewhat similar to the Calyx (XMOS based asynchronous USB with Thesycon driver, ESS 9018 DAC) but no need for an external LPS to get the best performance out of it, and it has a volume control. Prime challenger for the NAD.

I don't see any reason not to get asynchronous. I've heard the argument that adaptive and asynchronous are just two peas in the same pod and sorry, but I don't buy it. There's absolutely no reason why the computer should be in charge of the timing, even asynchronous with clock synthesis is better than that. Not all asynchronous is created equal either (see Hiface at the bottom vs. Off-Ramp at the top). Everything I've ever heard about the W4S says it's implementation isn't that good. XMOS is the hot commodity right now. The Anedio uses an odd implementation, basically it's their U2 converter mounted inside the DAC and hard wired to the digital receiver with S/Pdif. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work though, and it achieves galvanic isolation which is important when a laptop is the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back