Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #121 of 260
Quote:

TwoEars,  On this quest I'm not looking for enjoyable sound so to speak.  I'm looking for a revealing sound.

I understand what you're asking for - both the anedio and benchmark and very neutral and revealing.

But then there is a difference - where the Anedio is "open, musical, clear and flowing" the benchmark I find "compressed, harsh, tight and overly aggressive" in comparison.

The both do the same thing but in very different ways.

And don't get me wrong - the benchmark is not bad, it would do for studio work if you want to find every single thing that possibly could sound bad on a recording. But it would never be my choice for personal use.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #123 of 260
Quote:
*****Recommendations Please*****
 ​
 ​
I'm looking for what I call a listeners DAC for critical listing.  What you might call Analytical or Transparent.  I want it be be highly revealing and very detailed.  Any Ideas?

Does the Benchmark DAC1 still fit this bill?

The JKenny Dac32 is worth a listen and wont break the bank
https://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #124 of 260
Quote:

TwoEars,  On this quest I'm not looking for enjoyable sound so to speak.  I'm looking for a revealing sound.

The M2Tech DAC is also very revealing if thats what you are looking for http://www.m2tech.biz/young.html

It may depend on what you are looking in terms of features inputs/outputs so a pro DAC like the Metric Halo might be more appropriate? 

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #127 of 260
The old generation Esoteric offerings may suit your needs - say, P-01 / D-01.
Quote:
*****Recommendations Please*****
 ​
 ​
I'm looking for what I call a listeners DAC for critical listing.  What you might call Analytical or Transparent.  I want it be be highly revealing and very detailed.  Any Ideas?

Does the Benchmark DAC1 still fit this bill?

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #129 of 260
Quote:
The old generation Esoteric offerings may suit your needs - say, P-01 / D-01.

where can you find a 01 setup at a reasonable price?

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #132 of 260
Quote:

Yes Dave,

I've been looking at this.  For this particular rig I guess it's come down to:

Master 7
Lavry DA11
Banchmark DAC1:  what's the benefit of this high current op-amp?

DAC1  DAC1 USB   DAC1 Pre

State-of-the-art LME49860/LME4562 high-current op-amps NO Ouput stage only Throughout entire analog stage  

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #133 of 260
The Yulong D18 has AES/EBU; perhaps not expensive enough to qualify however.

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=236&S_id2=37&s_id=38

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #135 of 260
Quote:
where can you find a 01 setup at a reasonable price?

In Hong Kong, the price is more or less fixed at distributors. There are rarely used ones for sale - the last set I saw on the Hong Kong market was around US$50,000 (UV version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back