Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Sep 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #95 of 260
Quote:
O I'll pass.  As I also passed on the 5K Alpha DAC.

Big difference. The Aesthetix Pandora and the Empirical Overdrive are both $6K, and both include asynchronous USB to 24/192. Both can challenge DACs up to the $10K level. Spending the same amount of money overall on a $3K DAC and an Alpha USB just doesn't make sense.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #97 of 260
Quote:
O I'll pass.  As I also passed on the 5K Alpha DAC.

If your budget could be extended, that's exactly the DAC I'd recommend (the second iteration).

PWD MK2 is the other <$5k.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #98 of 260
The Antelope Zodiac Gold (with Voltikus power supply) can also be had for around $5K or less (second hand) now.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #99 of 260
I think Antelope Eclipse will surpass Zodiac easily it is end DAC and it is similar priced $5K. And if I had this money on DAC I wold consider even unknown Casea Orion Lite ($2500) could be with sychro USB soon or in a few months from what I know. And Forssell MDAC-2 but it is without sychro or one diy dac by name BB DAC which is absolutely unknown. But unknown things without reviews here is lost time 
bigsmile_face.gif

Important is personal experience as all knows.. better is buy DAC which could be end in system without possible future change!

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #100 of 260
At that price range, I would go for Antelope, Weiss, AN or PS Audio rather than the other brands mentioned above. These are long known audiophile brands - the other contenders certainly may have better C/P value, but when you try to resell them, you will probably get a big discount, if you are able to resell them at all;  whereas for the four brands mentioned above, you pretty much get back the full price, if you bought it second hand or had a good deal in the first place. At least it is how it goes in the Hong Kong market. Note that the DAC technology is evolving fast - there is something better coming out almost every year, so it is almost inevitable that one will have to upgrade - an in that regard, DACs offering upgrade options such as PS Audio, Linn or MSB are recommended.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #101 of 260
The Antelope Zodiac Gold (with Voltikus power supply) can also be had for around $5K or less (second hand) now.

They're available for $4800 new and $3200 used.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #104 of 260
The ones on Audiogon appear to only be US models.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #105 of 260
I see. The 220V ones seem to be a bit more expensive in the local market. I had mine (second hand) for around 28K HKD which is around US$3.5K. I haven't tried hooking it up to the BHSE/009 yet (currently using the Esoteric K-01 for them), but I would imagine that my Weiss DAC202 would be a better match than the Antelope since it has a fuller mid range. However, if I feel that the difference with the K-01 is still huge, the BHSE will be staying with my main rig and my Weiss and Antelope will have to stick with the LF/LCD3 in my study room. I was almost at a point of selling both Weiss and Antelope to fund a dCS Debussy, but the Debussy's maximum support at 96/24 via USB really held me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back