Best closed headphone for electronic based music
Sep 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 23
I switch between the denons and LCD 2's for electronic music. I haven't had any luck with ultrasone either, and those fostex are just silly expensive. I know you want closed but I have a good feeling the HE-6 is really for electronic, total personal speculation though. If I had the right amp I would try that out. Why didn't you like the denon D7000, I understand the mids are a bit recessed, but I can't find anything better for EDM and I'm not going into the thousands to find out. Those JVC's also come to mind, I really wanted a pair badly a few months ago but again stupid hard to find a good pair/decent price. I think I'm going to try the Mr.Speakers next, heard the new pads add more thump and many are comparing them to the LCD 2's.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 23
You make some valid points DefQon.  Admittedly the DX-1000 is a hard one to track down, more of a Japanese market specialty, same goes for the TH-900.  I hate to say it but sometimes if auditioning is impossible you have to bite the bullet, do your research and base your decision on those opinions that you respect / trust. 

Agreed that some Ultrasones may have been a tad wonky, however the Sig Pro breaks the curse.  You owe it to yourself to give them a listen. 

Final Audio is a real polarizer especially at 8k, no doubt.  I havent been following the Final Audio thread much lately, I beleive MF was thinking about pulling the trigger on them at one time .... I need to do some research myself it would appear..lol.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
I know you want closed but I have a good feeling the HE-6 is really for electronic, total personal speculation though. If I had the right amp I would try that out. Why didn't you like the denon D7000, I understand the mids are a bit recessed, but I can't find anything better for EDM and I'm not going into the thousands to find out. Those JVC's also come to mind, I really wanted a pair badly a few months ago but again stupid hard to find a good pair/decent price. I think I'm going to try the Mr.Speakers next, heard the new pads add more thump and many are comparing them to the LCD 2's.

The HE-6's are meant to be neutral aren't they? I've eliminated them out of the question due to their power hunger driven by a proper amp. Even if I get a cheap vintage amp and run it off the speak taps through a dummy load of so, I simply don't have the space on my audio rack/stack shelf for any more amp's. If I go the headphone amp route to drive the HE-6, I'd be looking at about $2.8k + to drive them properly.

The Denon D7000 have recessed mid's, slight rolled off treble, the mid's extension isn't that great, certainly can sound bloated at times with the bass the music is asking for, a lot of sub-bass rumble but the bass extension on the D7k aren't something to die for. 

My current cheap MDR-CD950 + my E11 eq'd with FLAC source has a brighter more forward signature with heap's of sub-bass rumble and bass extension. There are plenty of basshead can's out there perfect EDM in a way but it either has too much of a warm signature, too much bass that bleeds into the mid's and treble or too laid back and dark. My CD950's imo are a balance when amped with the E11, the synergy between the two is just phenomenal and it doesn't need to cost **** loads of money to sound good. The reason for my request for the best closed can for EDM is I want something that would sound both a bit warm, forward and engaging mids, that provides powering bass when called for with plenty of extension and well rendered soundstaging which doesn't have to be perfect in this aspect.

Quote:
You make some valid points DefQon.  Admittedly the DX-1000 is a hard one to track down, more of a Japanese market specialty, same goes for the TH-900.  I hate to say it but sometimes if auditioning is impossible you have to bite the bullet, do your research and base your decision on those opinions that you respect / trust. 

Agreed that some Ultrasones may have been a tad wonky, however the Sig Pro breaks the curse.  You owe it to yourself to give them a listen. 

Final Audio is a real polarizer especially at 8k, no doubt.  I havent been following the Final Audio thread much lately, I beleive MF was thinking about pulling the trigger on them at one time .... I need to do some research myself it would appear..lol.

I'll take your word's as advice and I'll try to audition the Pro Sig sometime soon.

The Muramasa was apparantly called off production by FA, so MF never got her's judging from the Muramasa thread. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 23
HI DQ,

Go down to Addicted to Audio in Kew - they have the sig pro and _did_ have the TH900 out on demo - Audiophile in Fitzroy also stock the fostex.. I think if you haggle you could pay a fair bit less than the ebay price!

I am on the quest for a decent set of closed cans for electronic stuff too - a friend has the TH900 but is o/s for over a month so it will be a while before I can have a lend and a decent listen.

I am basically after the sound of the LCD-3 with a bit more sub bass and some isolation.. :)

gav.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #20 of 23
I spent a few nites listening to electronic music on the HM5....
This is not my genre, but I just wanna know why u guys loved these marshmallows.
it's not 2000bucks...
But the comfort n spacey-ness of the sound is intoxicating on the hm5...I zoned out.

:cool:

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The trouble is, you're not making the suggestion process very easy for anyone

If I go the headphone amp route to drive the HE-6, I'd be looking at about $2.8k + to drive them properly.

B.S. You can drive them with almost anything that is capable of outputting 1 watt.  Orthos are very easy to drive, since their impedance curves are flat

The Denon D7000 have recessed mid's, slight rolled off treble, the mid's extension isn't that great

What is "mid extension?"  Bass extends down the frequency spectrum, and highs extend up.  The mids dont extend, and besides moving iron headphones from 1920, all current headphones (even $0.50 models that come with happy meals) cover the entire midrange completely

My current cheap MDR-CD950 + my E11 eq'd with FLAC source has a brighter more forward signature with heap's of sub-bass rumble and bass extension. There are plenty of basshead can's out there perfect EDM in a way but it either has too much of a warm signature, too much bass that bleeds into the mid's and treble or too laid back and dark. My CD950's imo are a balance when amped with the E11, the synergy between the two is just phenomenal and it doesn't need to cost **** loads of money to sound good. The reason for my request for the best closed can for EDM is I want something that would sound both a bit warm, forward and engaging mids, that provides powering bass when called for with plenty of extension and well rendered soundstaging which doesn't have to be perfect in this aspect.

Brightness is typically a strong presence in the highs, broadly associated with the 4-9khz range.  Heaps of bass extension would mean a strong presence in the low end.  Warmth is defined as a strong midrange presence relative to other frequencies.  A headphone with all of these attributes cannot exist - this is akin to asking to find a man who can support more weight on his left foot, while also supporting more weight on his right foot.  The closest you can get to this scenario is a neutral headphone with great treble and bass extension. 

All this being said, have you considered giving the LCDs a try? 

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
HI DQ,

Go down to Addicted to Audio in Kew - they have the sig pro and _did_ have the TH900 out on demo - Audiophile in Fitzroy also stock the fostex.. I think if you haggle you could pay a fair bit less than the ebay price!

I am on the quest for a decent set of closed cans for electronic stuff too - a friend has the TH900 but is o/s for over a month so it will be a while before I can have a lend and a decent listen.

I am basically after the sound of the LCD-3 with a bit more sub bass and some isolation.. :)

gav.

Thanks I probably will soon, but travelling there is a PITA. I might give George a call and see if he has the TH900 out on for demo before going there in person.

Quote:
I spent a few nites listening to electronic music on the HM5....
This is not my genre, but I just wanna know why u guys loved these marshmallows.
it's not 2000bucks...
But the comfort n spacey-ness of the sound is intoxicating on the hm5...I zoned out.
cool.gif

I have the FA-003's which is pretty much the same as the HM5's.

Quote:
The trouble is, you're not making the suggestion process very easy for anyone
What more information do I need to provide to make the process easier for other's? I've listed down my budget, what genre it is for, the form factor of whether or not I want closed or open, my previous past experiences with few other closed headphones, what type of sound sig I'm looking for and the technical sound aspects I would like the headphone to retain. 

If I go the headphone amp route to drive the HE-6, I'd be looking at about $2.8k + to drive them properly.

B.S. You can drive them with almost anything that is capable of outputting 1 watt.  Orthos are very easy to drive, since their impedance curves are flat

The HE-6 is $1.2k, if I get the EF-6's which is designed in mind to provide enough power and synergies greatly with the HE-6, that is $1.2k + 1.6k = $2.8k. Or I can go by Jude's recommendation he made when he heard the HE-6 and the Dark Star which supposedly sound's unbelievably good. If I was going the HE-6 route and spending that much money, I may as well buy one of the best if not the best amp that goes with it.

The Denon D7000 have recessed mid's, slight rolled off treble, the mid's extension isn't that great

What is "mid extension?"  Bass extends down the frequency spectrum, and highs extend up.  The mids dont extend, and besides moving iron headphones from 1920, all current headphones (even $0.50 models that come with happy meals) cover the entire midrange completely

Oh my, I did write mid extension, it's obvious that I meant Treble extension.

My current cheap MDR-CD950 + my E11 eq'd with FLAC source has a brighter more forward signature with heap's of sub-bass rumble and bass extension. There are plenty of basshead can's out there perfect EDM in a way but it either has too much of a warm signature, too much bass that bleeds into the mid's and treble or too laid back and dark. My CD950's imo are a balance when amped with the E11, the synergy between the two is just phenomenal and it doesn't need to cost **** loads of money to sound good. The reason for my request for the best closed can for EDM is I want something that would sound both a bit warm, forward and engaging mids, that provides powering bass when called for with plenty of extension and well rendered soundstaging which doesn't have to be perfect in this aspect.

Brightness is typically a strong presence in the highs, broadly associated with the 4-9khz range.  Heaps of bass extension would mean a strong presence in the low end.  Warmth is defined as a strong midrange presence relative to other frequencies.  A headphone with all of these attributes cannot exist - this is akin to asking to find a man who can support more weight on his left foot, while also supporting more weight on his right foot.  The closest you can get to this scenario is a neutral headphone with great treble and bass extension. 

You never know, which is why I made this thread. But from what it looks like the TH900 has a unique signature that might be what I'm after.

All this being said, have you considered giving the LCDs a try? 

Yes I have, I own the rev.1's and have extensively listened to the rev.2's, for certain fast song's, it can sound congested and slow. Haven't heard the LCD3 but I would like to stick with a closed headphone. I have way too many open can's 
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #23 of 23
You can order the TH-900's at Headroom for just under $2K.  Right now they are out of stock but I was talking with them a couple days ago and they said they have a delayed shipment on the way.  Due to the cost of those phones they don't order a lot at once for inventory.  Usually they just say 1 to 2 weeks to get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back