Best choice for Headphones under 100$
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #17 of 41
Tdockweiler's DJ100 thread and the S500 appreciation thread should give you an idea of how they sound relative to other headphones. Most consider the DJ100's to be more neutral, and the S500's to be more fun. I only have the DJ100's, but I'm pretty impressed with them for the price. And most importantly for me, they're pretty well-built and will work well as beater cans. The Shures have a lot of problems with the plastic cracking apart.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 41
I agree with the DJ100/TBSE1, a very good headphone for the price. For 100 bucks, the best sound I have heard has to be the Takstar Pro80. It's comfortable, portable, but most of all, it sounds amazing. Look in the takstar, Gemini, technical pro, Greathon thread for more details. I'd recommend the Brainwavz pad mod for them. Ups the comfort and makes it look that much better. Definitely look into them.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 41
Do keep in mind, the SRH-440 sound veiled to a few of us here including me. Other than that, it's a very neutral, non bassy and creamy mids kind of headphone. Very easy to listen to. Comfort might as well be an issue for long term listening. The padding is very thin and hard. However, changing it to SRH-840 pads or some mods would help. 

Billson :)

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
Do keep in mind, the SRH-440 sound veiled to a few of us here including me. Other than that, it's a very neutral, non bassy and creamy mids kind of headphone. Very easy to listen to. Comfort might as well be an issue for long term listening. The padding is very thin and hard. However, changing it to SRH-840 pads or some mods would help. 

Billson :)

I tried the Shure SRH-440 and 840 at our big headphones store today. In my opinion they have this weird ''radio'' sound, as if their source is a high quality radio if you know what I mean.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:
 Any Suggestions for Shure SHR440. Those seems to be pretty good considering the price range.

They're very rigid headphones preventing much "wiggle room" for adjustment. They're fairly heavy compared to other headphones, especially the m50, and their soundstage is somewhat congested for heavy/involved music (such as trance or rock).

I'd say +1 for the m50. They don't excel in a particular music genre because they are great for a wide range of music. They offer a balanced frequency (they ARE studio headphones, after all) that can handle your preferences of EQ very well if you wish. They have surprisingly good soundstage (better than the Shure), and decent isolation without sacrificing comfort.

Someone mentioned the Shures have a "veiled" sound. Almost any GOOD studio headphone will have this "veiled" sound because they are balanced/flat. That means the highs aren't prominent. In contrast, the mids and bass aren't prominent, either. Everything is flat. Balanced. Like I said, though, if you want more treble, EQ it and the m50 will respond very well.

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 41
Do consider "refurbished" or used headphones as well. I got my Sennheiser HD 558s through Amazon for $105, regular price $179. Someone recently posted that they got them for $95. Some people might not like the idea of used equipment but I have had great luck with the refurb route.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #24 of 41
Hey

I was asking same question here one year ago, since I tried lot of headphones lost some money to buy and then sell them. from that I have learned it is - I strongly suggest Sennheiser HD518 + plastic grill removal mode = 200$ headphone,

Very good sounstage, nice mids and decently extended treble. BUT keep in  mind it is OPEN headphone like grado.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #26 of 41
 Any Suggestions for Shure SHR440. Those seems to be pretty good considering the price range.

Check out shr240A....this one sounds like the creative life...
But in a modern looking headset.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #27 of 41
-1 SHR440, +1 ATH-AD700

Bought a pair of SHR440 2 years ago as my first "serious" headphones, loved it a lot but it's a pair of flawed headphones that leave you wanting more.

Got my AD700 for almost half a year now and I prefer it better than SHR440.

First off, SHR440 comfort is far from being good, the head band does not have enough padding and leave my head hurting for extensive use. The earcups are initially comfy but the leather wears off after 1 year or so of use. Some people may find the cups not thick enough thus having your ears push against the drivers. These problems are non-existent for AD700.

Sound-wise, I think SHR440 only advantage is it has better EQ than AD700 in a sense that it plays a lot more genres better than AD700 especially the ones' requiring more bass response. But in AD700 defense, the EQ is can easily be tweaked. Clarity wise, you'll find the AD700 easily beating the SHR440, especially in higher range. Consider the only advantage of a closed back design is the added bass response (and portability), the open back design of AD700 gives a more airy sound thus giving it a larger soundstage and more natural, clearer sound.

If portability is not a concern, I strongly recommend the AD700 over the SHR440 otherwise SHR440 should be a fine choice, just be prepared to pay for a new (and better) pair of ear pads down the road.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #29 of 41
-1 SHR440, +1 ATH-AD700

Bought a pair of SHR440 2 years ago as my first "serious" headphones, loved it a lot but it's a pair of flawed headphones that leave you wanting more.

Got my AD700 for almost half a year now and I prefer it better than SHR440.

First off, SHR440 comfort is far from being good, the head band does not have enough padding and leave my head hurting for extensive use. The earcups are initially comfy but the leather wears off after 1 year or so of use. Some people may find the cups not thick enough thus having your ears push against the drivers. These problems are non-existent for AD700.

Sound-wise, I think SHR440 only advantage is it has better EQ than AD700 in a sense that it plays a lot more genres better than AD700 especially the ones' requiring more bass response. But in AD700 defense, the EQ is can easily be tweaked. Clarity wise, you'll find the AD700 easily beating the SHR440, especially in higher range. Consider the only advantage of a closed back design is the added bass response (and portability), the open back design of AD700 gives a more airy sound thus giving it a larger soundstage and more natural, clearer sound.

If portability is not a concern, I strongly recommend the AD700 over the SHR440 otherwise SHR440 should be a fine choice, just be prepared to pay for a new (and better) pair of ear pads down the road.

AD700's sound far from natural, lows are very hollow and almost no impact at all. I like open headphones in general and my DT990 open headphones have more bass impact than any closed can I ever purchased.

If you like to listen to electronic music you'll most certainly find yourself fatigued from the AD700, the piercing treble can ruin the experience sometimes.

I too like the airy sound the AD700 produces, very nice with female vocals and wind instruments. They are also amazing for competitive gaming.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #30 of 41
+1 on the Koss DJ-100.  Tuesday Morning has the Tony Bennett version of them (with case and removable cable, making it similar to the DJ-200) on clearance now for $50 if there is a store near you.  Then get the M50 earpads for another $20 to improve the comfort.  I got this combo last week and I'm liking it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back