Best cans for POWERFUL and RATTLING bass?
Dec 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm still planning my headphone pathway, but I just realized that the SA5000s won't have impactful and powerful bass, the kind of bass that I like when watching movies or sometimes playing games. So, I'll use the SA5000s for music, but I need a complementary pair of cans for games/movies. Which can, under $300, provides the strongest, deepest, most powerful bass (Not necessarily ACCURATE; I want the kind of bass I get with my A500s, but more powerful. I guess it's called "bloated")? All I can think of are the DT770 Pro, but there might be a better headphone out there for my purpose.

Thanks in advance
basshead.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 63
General Kenobi reporting for Team Basshead

DT770-250
Grado PS-1 (does not have the soundstage for movies and games but great bass!)

If amped I also thought that the HD650 had nice bass for movies and games. It did not have the quantity of the DT770 but it was tighter and explosions and the likes sounded better IMO.

end report

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 63
What about some BOSE headphones? I know they aren't very well regarded around here, but wouldn't they have a lot of bloated and powerful bass that would suit well with movies?

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
What about some BOSE headphones? I know they aren't very well regarded around here, but wouldn't they have a lot of bloated and powerful bass that would suit well with movies?

don't say that, they might hear you

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 63
No, seriously. I know BOSE headphones are supposed to really be crap quality, but isn't part of that due to bloated bass? They may not have crystal clear highs and accurate bass, but they'd have extremely bloated and innacurate bass, won't they?

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
No, seriously. I know BOSE headphones are supposed to really be crap quality, but isn't part of that due to bloated bass? They may not have crystal clear highs and accurate bass, but they'd have extremely bloated and innacurate bass, won't they?

But isn't there more to movie watching than bloated bass? Like soundstage and dynamics?

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 63
DT770. DO IT!
basshead.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 63
The closest you'll get with headphones is the dt700-250. While they have tons of bass, they won't come close to the feeling of a good subwoofer. I'm assuming that's not an option (neighbors, late night gaming, etc) but if it is, you may want to look into a speaker option.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
But isn't there more to movie watching than bloated bass? Like soundstage and dynamics?

Well, I figured that BOSE headphones must have a decent soundstage and okay dynamics. I can easily stand listening to non-audiophile headphones any time (I'm listening to my cheapo MDR-101s right now), so I don't think that'd be a problem. The biggest difference I think I'd notice would be bass.

Aren't BOSE headphones designed for commercial use like movies and stuff anyways? I know that the DT770s are known to be the traditional bass head headphones, but along with that package comes features that'd suit well for music. So, I just figured that since BOSE headphones are marketed for the average guy that thinks more bass = higher quality, that BOSE would be the way to go. I mean, BOSE headphones have got to have some purpose, don't they? Maybe it's very loose, innacurate, and bloated bass?

I seem many people recommend PS-1s and IEMs, but there's a subconscious mentality that has me thinking that it just isn't possible for them to produce thumping bass. I know that there's a HUGE gap between the SR-80s and the PS-1s, but there's virtually no powerful bass with the SR-80s (It may be accurate, but it DEFINETLY isn't even close to being powerful). As for IEMs, it's just very hard to comprehend that such a small, little thing can produce thumping and thunderous bass.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 63
The DT770 is an AMAZING headphone to use for gaming. I have had countless times where they have saved my life in counter strike source. The soundstage really gives me the upper edge on everyone else. PLus the bass in nice for explosions and shooting. They are really comfy for long hours and are durable enough to bring to lan parties and stuff like that.

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by bum
The closest you'll get with headphones is the dt700-250. While they have tons of bass, they won't come close to the feeling of a good subwoofer. I'm assuming that's not an option (neighbors, late night gaming, etc) but if it is, you may want to look into a speaker option.

Skullcandy Skullcrushers would like to have a word with you.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back