Best cans for POWERFUL and RATTLING bass?
Dec 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #46 of 63
Well, I was aware that the DT770s were known to be the best for high quality and powerful bass before I created the thread, but I wanted to know if there were other headphones out there other than the DT770s. I discovered that I actually have a few options - DT770s (Traditional bass cans; need an amp though, so it'd take a while to get), super.fi 5 EB (Should be easy to drive; very intriguing as they are so small and are supposed to have powerful bass. Might consider as I still haven't tried an IEM and they could be perfect for listening to music in bed), skullcrushers (A really cheap pair of headphones that I might try as experimental cans first because they are so inexpensive), Ultrasone HFI-700 (Wasn't aware of them until now; I'll have to do some research on them to learn more).

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #47 of 63
if you are going to take the plunge and get skullcrushers, please give us your impressions. they have a silly name but it might be interesting to hear actual sonic impressions compared to something you are familiar with.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #48 of 63
I am on a crusade for the ATH-A900LTDs this week...don't forget to check these out. Great base...less than the head crushing DT770 though.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #49 of 63
I've only read the first page, but the SA5000 do relatively speaking have the rather bloated and uncontrolled bass that cheap cans are known for.
evil_smiley.gif

If you want actual rattling, you could try the Skullcandys or the Medusa 5.1. The caveat with the Medusa is that you have to feed them a true 5.1 signal (i.e. a separated subwoofer signal) before they rattle, and is far more effective than the DT770 in 'feeling the lows'. I find the shaker with games is perfect on the Medusa. Of course, music quality isn't hot... but you can't have everything
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #50 of 63
I've been looking into some DT770's for awhile to use at work. I listen to mostly rock, punk and metal. My source is an iPod and a PocketAmp2v2. I currently use PortaPros and HD497's. Would I see a dramatic sound improvement with the DT770's?

What are the pros & cons between the two ohm versions: 80 vs. 250? Looks like the DT770-M is the 80 ohm version? The 80 ohm version seems hard to find.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
if you are going to take the plunge and get skullcrushers, please give us your impressions. they have a silly name but it might be interesting to hear actual sonic impressions compared to something you are familiar with.

I purchased the Aopen HP-590's which are the original SkullCandy Crushers. I even e-mailed SkullCandy and they said they bought the rights to the headphones and re-painted them. I cannot recommend these to someone even if they really like bass. Here's what I posted earlier in the thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
I got the Aopen version (I guess Aopen sold them before SkullCandy bought them out and repainted them), and they really SUCK. It's hard to explain how bad they are. They do not have a lot of bass, they have vibrators for your ears, and not in a good way.

It is basically just a second driver mounted back-to-back with the normal driver which acts as a vibration unit. It's not loud thumping bass, it's just being able to feel vibration on your outer ear. It is quite strange and different from any other heapdhone experience. I didn't really like the build quality or fit, but they had pretty decent midrange. If you turn down the bass (vibration) you hear literally no bass at all.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #52 of 63
I defintely vote for an alternative to the bose tri-farts

HD485 baby!! if you dont mind an open phone, these things have much much cleaner bass than the triports when I tested them out at sam's club vs the bose. and they cost less than half of the triports.

these things are
basshead.gif
, and they definitely are not bloated one noted bass either.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt_Core
I've been looking into some DT770's for awhile to use at work. I listen to mostly rock, punk and metal. My source is an iPod and a PocketAmp2v2. I currently use PortaPros and HD497's. Would I see a dramatic sound improvement with the DT770's?

What are the pros & cons between the two ohm versions: 80 vs. 250? Looks like the DT770-M is the 80 ohm version? The 80 ohm version seems hard to find.

Portapros give you a nice big ol bass, but nothing like an amped DT770, which fire bass cannons, be careful. Never heard a Pocketamp, but even a cmoy can amp a 80 ohm DT770 to rattle level so you should be ok.

The DT770M is NOT the same as the DT770 Pro 80. The DT770M is made for drummers i believe, and have a volume control in the cord and are super isolating, but owners here have said they think it's muddy. The DT770/80 can be had at Musician's Friend (saw some here in NYC, i'm certain you can call any store and they'll ship it to you) but make certain to price match against amazon's cost for the 250 version.

BTW, if you like rock, punk and metal, why not go Grado instead of bass cannons? Grados have better slam and attack, unlike the BOOM of the beyer.

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
BTW, if you like rock, punk and metal, why not go Grado instead of bass cannons? Grados have better slam and attack, unlike the BOOM of the beyer.

From what I've read, Grado's are very open and I'm in an office environment. Can't have too much Slayer leaking out of the ol' phones
wink.gif

I'm also a huge PC gamer and have read that 770's are great for gaming. I'm guessing they're pretty good for rock, too. Any other closed phones for rock that aren't over $200?

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc
Grado SR80 would prolly work well. I'm planning on getting a pair just for movies and games.

I have the SR-80s right now and I find the bass quite disappointing. It may be accurate and tight, but it has absolutely no punch/power at all.

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt_Core
From what I've read, Grado's are very open and I'm in an office environment. Can't have too much Slayer leaking out of the ol' phones
wink.gif

I'm also a huge PC gamer and have read that 770's are great for gaming. I'm guessing they're pretty good for rock, too. Any other closed phones for rock that aren't over $200?

Ah IC you need the isolation and do PC gaming too. The DT770 is good for that (and movies too, good soundstage) and it will do rock in a pinch!

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #59 of 63
I'm surprised that the Sennheiser HD-212pros haven't been mentioned. Those things have ridiculous amounts of bass relative to mids and highs, and is deep and impactful. They're also cheaper than dirt.

As a final word on the matter, if you like a crapton of midbass (you know, the kind of bass you can get out of a 4" paper cone 'subwoofer'), the Triports are for you. They seem to roll off very quickly below 100hz or so.
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #60 of 63
Do you want overwhelming deep bass for a reasonable amount of money? 770/80. Forget about other cans and get 770s. NOW. You can feel your skull rattling with these bass monsters. Can't be said clearer. Oh, and they are very good for movies too
smily_headphones1.gif

Bose Triports? You must be joking...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back