Best cans for ~$100?
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #34 of 34
The most popular headphone here isn't always best. People should try other headphones that are less known sometime. I guess you  just have to find out what type of sound signature you want for a headphone. That's what I do and I almost never go by just reviews anymore.

For me, the absolute best under $100 is the Koss Pro DJ 100. It's only $80. I prefer it to pretty much everything I've tried under $200. I've tried a few dozen by now. The only thing that comes close is the SRH-840, KRK KNS-8400 and the K240 Studio. Of course I prefer a headphone with very good or even slightly forward mids. I think the only headphone I like almost as much as the DJ100 is the HD-598. That thing has really impressed me and I'm not a huge Sennheiser fan. I could probably even give up my ATH-AD2000 and just live with that...maybe.

DJ100 has pretty good bass, but the mids are what make it so good. They're especially good for female vocals, but not so good for classical or metal I'd imagine. The highs are very slightly rolled off, but not too badly. Their sound signature reminds me of a K240 Studio with slightly more bass with more forward mids. Call me crazy, but they almost remind me of my new Sextett LP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back