Best can for up to $300 ?
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #109 of 148
Quote:
This thread's been all over the place, no offense... There's a difference between portable and transportable IMO.

The Beyers and MD are transportable, i.e. reasonably rugged so as not to get destroyed in a bag even without a case; but I'm not sure they're something you'd be comfortable wearing around your neck for more than a a few min and they're gonna fill up half a backpack...

Don't get me wrong, I love my DT 880 and I find them incredibly comfortable to actually wear. They're open tho, forget that semi-open nonsense, you're right to steer away from them for portable use... Whomever called them closed on the 1st page can't have ever used them. The Beyers are relatively compact for full size headphones so if you're after a transportable setup the 770 are a good value. I'm actually looking at the Mad Dogs myself for living room use, for the sound signature they seem to deliver as well as the isolation factor...

Not quite sure if the MD are any more compact than Beyers (doubt it), but I'm not sure I'd ever travel with either anyway. Maybe if it's a long trip or whatever and I'm mainly using them in a hotel or wherever I'm staying...

For portable on the go use, walking around town or short trips etc I'm much more at ease with something like my V-Moda M-80 (or something like the UE600 or Momentum, tho the latter are larger), they're much smaller than you'd think from looking at pictures. I can slip them into a messenger bag next to a laptop and still have plenty of room for other crap, no real need for an amp, perfect degree of isolation vs awareness for me, very durable, can leave them around my neck if talking with someone, great overall package tbh.

Completely different category and class of headphones tho. If you find on-ears uncomfortable or you want something that's more transportable then the MD seem like a strong value, can't wait to try them myself. You could try the M-80 at any Radio Shack or Microsoft store. You could try the Momentum at Apple stores or Magnolia Best Buys, you could try the UE6000 at any Best Buy. Guitar Center should have the DT 770, and finally Dan has a pretty good return policy on the MD. You can find the M-80 online for as little as $150...

I'd recommend at least taking a look at some of the more portable alternatives to see if you really wanna go with full size circumaurals or whether you'd be satisfied with something lighter even if it's a step down.

Doesn't seem like you know where this thread has gone, because the OP clearly stated where, when, and his preferences for the headphones he wants to buy. Transportable is debatable depending the on the person, portable is the same. To reiterate what the OP has already said, the headphone will not only be for traveling, but also for home use, at least until he has purchased a proper home listening rig. He never said these headphones would be used for on-the-go uses, so those points you made are irrelevant. In addition, all the place you mentioned that he could audition might not be available in his area. Plus, even if he blindly bought the headphones online, most reputable retailers have return policies, and some have money back guarantees.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #110 of 148
My 2 cents = reconsider the Yamaha PRO 500 and don't rule them out. There's one on the FS thread going for $280 and that's a steal for the SQ. No amp required and I'll just say they have the most natural timbre I have heard yet in a headphone.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #112 of 148
JUST KIDDING :) I just ordered a pair of Mad Dogs & a iBasso T5 amp with ipod line out dock from iBasso. Also I just picked up a new 7 gen. Ipod Classic 160gb so I can store a good amount of lossless songs on it ! Sooo stoked about this, I think it should be a good setup.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #113 of 148
Quote:
JUST KIDDING :) I just ordered a pair of Mad Dogs & a iBasso T5 amp with ipod line out dock from iBasso. Also I just picked up a new 7 gen. Ipod Classic 160gb so I can store a good amount of lossless songs on it ! Sooo stoked about this, I think it should be a good setup.

cool, report back how you like it. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #114 of 148
Doesn't seem like you know where this thread has gone, because the OP clearly stated where, when, and his preferences for the headphones he wants to buy. Transportable is debatable depending the on the person, portable is the same. To reiterate what the OP has already said, the headphone will not only be for traveling, but also for home use, at least until he has purchased a proper home listening rig. He never said these headphones would be used for on-the-go uses, so those points you made are irrelevant. In addition, all the place you mentioned that he could audition might not be available in his area. Plus, even if he blindly bought the headphones online, most reputable retailers have return policies, and some have money back guarantees.

He never stated his location either and I was just giving him some options, no need to get hostile, just trying to make sure he knew what he was getting into. It's always nice to try something before buying even if it isn't exactly what you're looking to get, if only to have a rough baseline (not just on sound but size, fit, etc.).

The fact that the thread meandered isn't a negative... I don't see how more suggestions and options are ever a bad thing.

I mean, I even mentioned MrSpeaker's return policy; I wasn't trying to steer him in any particular direction unlike some. Aren't you the one that said DT 880 are closed an would be fine on a plane? Hah, gimme a break... I guess calling you out on that is why you took issue with my post.

They also have better treble, which is the major plus over the DT770. They are never harsh, and really are a great headphone for a tremendous value. I've seen them as low as 150 used, in excellent condition here on FS forums. I think you love them, if you like acoustic music. They do isolate noise some because they are closed, but no as well as some. I would say that you should be fine on an airplane as long as you don't listen to your music at very high volumes. Good luck!

@OP Let us know how the Mad Dogs work out! I think Dan recently ran out of Alpha pads and he's been shipping them out with Shure pads or his previous custom pad but he's shipping the Alphas later and you get to keep both. I'm sure he's made note of it on his emails (saw it on the site too).

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #115 of 148
Quote:
He never stated his location either and I was just giving him some options, no need to get hostile, just trying to make sure he knew what he was getting into. It's always nice to try something before buying even if it isn't exactly what you're looking to get, if only to have a rough baseline (not just on sound but size, fit, etc.).

The fact that the thread meandered isn't a negative... I don't see how more suggestions and options are ever a bad thing.

I mean, I even mentioned MrSpeaker's return policy; I wasn't trying to steer him in any particular direction unlike some. Aren't you the one that said DT 880 are closed an would be fine on a plane? Hah, gimme a break... I guess calling you out on that is why you took issue with my post.
@OP Let us know how the Mad Dogs work out! I think Dan recently ran out of Alpha pads and he's been shipping them out with Shure pads or his previous custom pad but he's shipping the Alphas later and you get to keep both. I'm sure he's made note of it on his emails (saw it on the site too).

You mistake my intent, which was really a statement directed towards your first sentence of your post. Indeed, the thread has been all over the place, but it has been "brainstorming" throughout the process. The OP seemed very excited to get a pair of headphones, so I think he might have taken suggestions a bit to easy without doing his own research, but that's fine. In fact, this is one of the only places, online, that I would be comfortable taking advice from other users, because a lot of people on here are well educated in this particular area, and are not just consumer-grade buyers. If I came off as hostile or snobbish, please accept my apologizes, wasn't trying to put down your suggestion either. Furthermore, my comments about your suggestion being irrelevant was uncalled for as well. That is what makes Head-Fi great, so again my apologizes.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #116 of 148
No sweat man, tone gets clouded when posting online all the time... :)

FWIW, I tried to make that distinction between portable/transportable/etc because I've seen one or two people returning their Mad Dogs within the last couple pages of the MD thread precisely because they didn't consider them portable enough.

Hence why I tried to give the OP a sense of what packing some different headphones for a trip would be like...

Ultimately what's portable (or transportable) and what isn't is obviously subjective and it comes down to how much of a die hard you are and how much luggage you travel with. :p I'd totally take something like the MD with me on any week+ long trip.

Alpha pads are apparently going to be back in stock by next week so yay, OP might even get his shipped out with them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #117 of 148
Yeah I think I kinda lucked out actually with the Aplha pads being out of stock. I talked to Dan over the phone and he will be sending mine with either the shure 840 pads or the Dog pads & when he gets the Alpha pads in he will ship a pair out to me which should arrive just in time for my trip. I read some reviews on the iBasso T5 and people were saying the construction quality was very poor and that it chipped after the first few days of use, so I decided to just upgrade to the iBasso D6 that Dan reccomend for his Mad Dog headphones.

Also the reason I rely so much on other people knowledge and opinions is because I dont know much about headphones or amplifiers. This is my first high quality pair of headphones soley for music. I own a pair of Astro A50s for gaming and those are very nice but my only complaint is the ear pads. My ears just start to hurt after a couple of hours so I was very disapointed about that because they were about $350, so for that kind of money I would like some comfortable headphones. So I knew with my next pair of headphones needed to be comfortable & I think the Mad Dogs definetely look it but I will have to see for sure when I get them.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #118 of 148
The MD will be comfortable and lucky you he has new stickers now that are simpler which I think looks better for the MD.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #120 of 148
I think the new ones are just a simple black background with white lettering and no logo, he posted pics on the MD thread. If there was any more detail to it I might've missed it due to looking at it on my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back