Best can for up to $300 ?
Mar 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #92 of 148
Quote:
Yeah its hard to say. I know im getting carried away with recomendations but its really all I have to go by, I dont really have any stores nearby that carry any of these headphons. I went to best buy today and half their selection was Beats by Dre haha .

you need to go to a best buy w/ a magnolia home theater center to find a demo section w/ all the audiophile/studio stuff. UE 6000 is in the fashion section though.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #93 of 148
Quote:

Agree with you on the level of differences in headphones (and hype on Head-Fi 
wink.gif
) - but if you ever get the chance, you should try a simple abx (using Foobar).  It's really enlightening, and it does make you think twice about immediately recommending lossless for a DAP.  I see you have a 160 Gb iPod classic.  Even with level 8, you're still going to get to eventually get to a stage where you have too many songs to fit comfortably (I'd already be over that limit).  When you realise that there isn't going to be an audible difference (ie human discernable) between aac256 and lossless, it kind of makes more sense then to recommend ripping to lossless (for archive), but using a good lossy format for your actual player.

Anyway - I'm taking this off topic, so I'll cease now.  I've already had a quick pm exchange with the OP, and have been thinking about writing a how-to for a while (setting up an abx with Foobar) - so it'll give me something to do this weekend :) 

i dont have the ipod classic 160gb anymore, gave it to my brother. im now experiencing no-fi, meaning no music at all 
frown.gif
 i upgraded from ipod classic+fiio e17 to ibasso dx100 but now my dx100 is broken and i have to send it back. as for my dx100, i have 64gb on board memory with a micro sd card slot, thats enough for me

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #95 of 148
I think im going to go with the Mad Dogs. They just seem like they put a lot of time and effort to ensure an excellent sounding headphone. I mean there are literally houndreds of headphones to choose from in this price range with most of them being a well known brand name like pioneer, sony, bose, sennheiser, beyerdynamic ect. I like that Mad Dogs are a pretty small company and family owned. I just sent them an email asking about their headphones and I got an email back in 20 mins haha I mean come on thats customer service !!

You'd be surprised just how much of that there is in the enthusiast community! I can't think off-hand of a single instance where I felt ignored by one of the little guys.

Now, I wouldn't expect the folks at Sennheiser to hit me back immediately, but that's sort of expected. Even if they wanted to answer each email personally - I'm sure it'd take a day or so just to get to the appropriate person.

Being able to ask a manufacturer a technical or even noob-ey question and get a personal response really gives a sense of connection in a world where a family member or coworker will look at you like you're a nutjob for spending $500-$1,000 on headphones.

IMHO.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #96 of 148
Also good choice on the mad dogs, they are easily driven any Fio amp will do it even e5/e6 and they can work without one fine.

Even an E7? I thought I'd have to wait for the E12 to drive these buggers for portable use.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #98 of 148
i messaged dan before when i had an e17 that if the e17 can drive the mad dog, he said yes

I don't have an E17, I have an E7.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #100 of 148
Quote:
Even an E7? I thought I'd have to wait for the E12 to drive these buggers for portable use.

Yes the Mad Dogs can be run from a E7. It works fine with some of the lowest power outputs like the E5/6, so your E7 should be fine.

Quote:
I wouldn't say the Mad Dogs are portable.

Overall the Mad Dogs are quite efficient for being a ortho design. I think they are superb for a portable setup, especially for when the OP plans on using them. They isolate decent, they are comfortable, and they aren't terrible hard to drive. Not a bad looking headphone either.

Quote:
hey bro,

i think you might be getting kinda carried away by people's recommendations. yea, the mad dogs are supposed to be a great pair of headphones, but they don't really fit your original goal of a portable (non-amp required) headphones.

I think you should legit go and try the multitude of great closed portable headphones that don't need an amp, and if you think that there is still something missing & you can tell what change in sound signature you want in comparison to the headphones you tried, come back & research to see if Mad Dogs or whatever else fits that change.

I mean, what happens if you go to the store and find that you like the additional bass of something like the Ultrasone Pro 900 over the AKG K550?

I think that the OP is taking what he has and thinking on it, which is fine. Obviously take all of what we recommend with a grain of salt, do your own research, and get more than one person's review/opinion on a particular headphone. When I started out, I did tons of readings, but not much auditioning because there isn't a huge presence of Hi-Fi where I live. A few consumer shops with high end brands, but they are all swayed more towards speakers... so many of my purchases where through reading and testimonies of people that have owned or extensively heard the products I was interested in. Best Buy or any other retail store more than likely won't have huge selection and their workers know nothing and aren't educated to answer any real questions... so to me reading on these forums are much more informative and helpful.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #101 of 148
Quote:
Yes the Mad Dogs can be run from a E7. It works fine with some of the lowest power outputs like the E5/6, so your E7 should be fine.

Overall the Mad Dogs are quite efficient for being a ortho design. I think they are superb for a portable setup, especially for when the OP plans on using them. They isolate decent, they are comfortable, and they aren't terrible hard to drive. Not a bad looking headphone either.

I think that the OP is taking what he has and thinking on it, which is fine. Obviously take all of what we recommend with a grain of salt, do your own research, and get more than one person's review/opinion on a particular headphone. When I started out, I did tons of readings, but not much auditioning because there isn't a huge presence of Hi-Fi where I live. A few consumer shops with high end brands, but they are all swayed more towards speakers... so many of my purchases where through reading and testimonies of people that have owned or extensively heard the products I was interested in. Best Buy or any other retail store more than likely won't have huge selection and their workers know nothing and aren't educated to answer any real questions... so to me reading on these forums are much more informative and helpful.

i also think auditioning can only go so far, one has to actually own the headphone so he can do extensive listening

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #102 of 148
Quote:

i also think auditioning can only go so far, one has to actually own the headphone so he can do extensive listening

+ ∞

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #103 of 148
I think im pretty much sold on the Mad Dogs. I am doing a little research on an amp now. iBasso looks like they have some really good ones, I have no clue what to look for so if you guys have any suggestions that would be great. I know the E11 is supposed to be good but what would I be benifiting from if I got the iBasso T5 for example or the D6 ?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #104 of 148
I think im pretty much sold on the Mad Dogs. I am doing a little research on an amp now. iBasso looks like they have some really good ones, I have no clue what to look for so if you guys have any suggestions that would be great. I know the E11 is supposed to be good but what would I be benifiting from if I got the iBasso T5 for example or the D6 ?

Just got these in the mail. I won't comment on the sound but these are definitely the most comfortable cans I've ever worn! That spot used to only belong to the DT770s, but they've been replaced.

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #105 of 148
This thread's been all over the place, no offense... There's a difference between portable and transportable IMO.

The Beyers and MD are transportable, i.e. reasonably rugged so as not to get destroyed in a bag even without a case; but I'm not sure they're something you'd be comfortable wearing around your neck for more than a a few min and they're gonna fill up half a backpack...

Don't get me wrong, I love my DT 880 and I find them incredibly comfortable to actually wear. They're open tho, forget that semi-open nonsense, you're right to steer away from them for portable use... Whomever called them closed on the 1st page can't have ever used them. The Beyers are relatively compact for full size headphones so if you're after a transportable setup the 770 are a good value. I'm actually looking at the Mad Dogs myself for living room use, for the sound signature they seem to deliver as well as the isolation factor...

Not quite sure if the MD are any more compact than Beyers (doubt it), but I'm not sure I'd ever travel with either anyway. Maybe if it's a long trip or whatever and I'm mainly using them in a hotel or wherever I'm staying...

For portable on the go use, walking around town or short trips etc I'm much more at ease with something like my V-Moda M-80 (or something like the UE600 or Momentum, tho the latter are larger), they're much smaller than you'd think from looking at pictures. I can slip them into a messenger bag next to a laptop and still have plenty of room for other crap, no real need for an amp, perfect degree of isolation vs awareness for me, very durable, can leave them around my neck if talking with someone, great overall package tbh.

Completely different category and class of headphones tho. If you find on-ears uncomfortable or you want something that's more transportable then the MD seem like a strong value, can't wait to try them myself. You could try the M-80 at any Radio Shack or Microsoft store. You could try the Momentum at Apple stores or Magnolia Best Buys, you could try the UE6000 at any Best Buy. Guitar Center should have the DT 770, and finally Dan has a pretty good return policy on the MD. You can find the M-80 online for as little as $150...

I'd recommend at least taking a look at some of the more portable alternatives to see if you really wanna go with full size circumaurals or whether you'd be satisfied with something lighter even if it's a step down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back