CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #15,272 of 31,832
They sound good (above average), and the cashew shape fit my ear nicely.

However, here’s the build quality problems that plagued mine:

1. Right out of the box I heard something physically rattling around loose in the left side. There was zero bass on that side too. I opened it up and found the dynamic driver was not even glued in place - it was just loosely flopping around inside the shell. Once I glued the driver in place, it sounded normal including bass.

2. The cable is a 2-pin, but not like KZ/TRN. I think it’s a common plug that was developed by Audio Technica, but don’t quote me on that. The shape is trapezoid; similar to a mini-USB (the larger precursor to the micro-USB). Anyways, both of mine were very loose and it would cause annoying random sound cutouts. I smooshed and deformed the trapezoid-shaped male 2-pin plug with pliers, which allowed it to fit tightly and solve the cutout problems. In their defense, I believe this was not an unheard of complaint even with genuine Audio Technica IEM. I guess it’s just a crappy design, which could explain why hardly any company uses that style of plug. Again, I could be wrong though.

3. My right shell fell apart on the 2nd day, with only about 4 hours of total listening time. I was able to glue the 2 halves back together.

Vidal (the now defunct Aproear) also had similar problems with his. I know for a fact his shell fell apart. I am not sure if he had other QC issues though.

I think @HungryPanda has a pair. Again, not sure if he had problems with his.

In any event, as much as some people pick in KZ, their build quality and QC reliability is 10xs better than MDK-ESS (at least the few models that came out at the end of 2017 ie ASK etc).

Hopefully they’ve made a conscious effort to improve the build quality. It at least appears that way with this new model.

Jeez, MDK-ESS ASK scored off the list then!

Whatever happened to VIDAL? He was so helpful to me getting in to this hobby, always willing to help (like many other old timers on here tbh)... plus his eBay had great Asian brands that he never exploited price wise.

Jan 9, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #15,273 of 31,832
Jeez, MDK-ESS ASK scored off the list then!

Whatever happened to VIDAL? He was so helpful to me getting in to this hobby, always willing to help (like many other old timers on here tbh)... plus his eBay had great Asian brands that he never exploited price wise.

Well soundwise, it’s a very capable IEM.

I just think the build quality issues turned a lot of people off. And those build quality issues were pointed out on a popular review sites, such as audiobudget and Aproear.

As far as what happened to @Vidal, I think he just got busy with life. I’m not sure though. I wish he’d pop in and let us know he’s ok.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #15,274 of 31,832
Hi guys what's a good Chi-fi headphone to get on Amazon now? Something in the realm of $20-50 with good isolation?

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #15,275 of 31,832
TinAudio T2 fits right in your budget at $49.99 with neutral sound signature and if you want something lower priced, take a look at KZ ZSN at $23 with slight V-shaped tuning, both on Amazon.com
Both perform equally good in their territories.

Jan 10, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #15,276 of 31,832
You can find the ZSN for less than $20 on ebay & ae if you're willing to wait on shipping. I got mine for $14 off ebay. It is surprisingly good, especially for the price. I find it better than my old SE215 (which was pretty dark sounding & mid-centric). It is a fun v-shaped IEM.

Otherwise as @Hercules40k said, the Tin T2 is a pretty safe choice (based on reviews) for a neutral IEM.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #15,277 of 31,832
I totally agree with it. I own both of them. The banned one really shines with JVC Spiral dot ear tips.

Okay. Now I MUST TRY THESE!!!!!!!!!

Can you talk a little about the imaging and if the mids are open and natural? Wonder if treble is smoothbut revealing too...I should have buyt these instead of TRN V80 or KZ ZS10, feel dumb because planar is the new tech to check out in chifi, since the Toneking BL1 it incredibly go down in price, one year ago the only in ear planar was the Audeze isine. Man, SF really revolutionize audio world this time, just amazing!

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #15,278 of 31,832
AS06 is very good iem again.
More soft treble. More elevated treble so less agressive.
Lot of detail, globally near of as10. It's a good choice for the disappointed year of AS10 and the high peak in high mid/treble

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #15,279 of 31,832
@Hercules40k @assassin10000 thanks a lot for recommendations! I was looking at ZS6 but may go with T2 now! I definitely want something neutral. Any reason to reconsider ZS6 in that regard?

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #15,280 of 31,832
Actually, ZS6 have quite an emphasis on higher end (too sharp treble, almost ear piercing highs), and sound sibilant unless you play with Eq. I do like how good the soundstage is on the ZS6's but if you're treble sensitive, I would say better pick other alternatives.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #15,281 of 31,832
AS06 is very good iem again.
More soft treble. More elevated treble so less agressive.
Lot of detail, globally near of as10. It's a good choice for the disappointed year of AS10 and the high peak in high mid/treble

AS06 costs approx $30 on AE while AS10 costs roughly $44. I would easily pick AS06 over AS10 because there is not much difference in SQ, just a very slight more details in AS10 but that does not makes much sense as both have elevated bass and slightly pushed back vocals with slightly dark sound tonality.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #15,282 of 31,832
Received the CCA C10 and i've gotta say they are pretty damn good. The build quality is so much better than the KZs and the bass is very present.The faceplate is metal too which makes it nicer.

Like it so far and i have to say i'm on clear's camp to advocate the C10. Thanks! @1clearhead

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #15,284 of 31,832
CCA has now released an 8 BA In-Ear driver. Of course there is KZ under the hood, but I wonder why they released this model via CCA and not via themselves. It seems as if KZ wanted to stay under the 100 € with their in-ears. The same housing as the AS10.

You can buy the C16 here: Store

CCA C16 2.jpg
CCA C16 1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #15,285 of 31,832
Received the CCA C10 and i've gotta say they are pretty damn good. The build quality is so much better than the KZs and the bass is very present.The faceplate is metal too which makes it nicer.

Like it so far and i have to say i'm on clear's camp to advocate the C10. Thanks! @1clearhead
Build quality better than KZ? In my case i've got both ZSN and CCA. CCA does not have nozze lip (big eartips fall) , it doesn't seal as good as ZSN (small differences in the nozzle) and the bass -compared to ZSN- is way less prominent... Unfortunately I can't get used to CCA C10 sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back