CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #15,256 of 31,833
The D4 has piercing treble to my ears, hopefully the TRN is better in that respect.

I had the same feeling while listening to these :/ And I'm also treble sensitive & I would've loved a more punchier bass. I use these with Cayin N3 & I feel this combination doesn't really work. I covered the "holes" with paper tape & punched a hole but this seems to have made the bass a bit boomier. But I guess it's still not too bad for a cheap iem. Also, I find it difficult to get a better seal with the included tips & other tips that I have. Are there are any cheap tips that go well with the D4?

Jan 7, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #15,257 of 31,833
the MDK-ESS MD01x

2 pin, dual-DD, 25 bux-ish (info courtesy of Hill Sonic Audio)
49491021_1329663680508773_8049349873318756352_n.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #15,258 of 31,833
the MDK-ESS MD01x

I sure hope they have made serious gains in the QC department. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust an MDK-ESS IEM.

Too many of us got screwed by the horribly sub-par build quality.

It's a different story if they've cleaned up their issues. Other than the build quality and 3 different QC defects, I liked the fit and sound of my MDK-ESS ASK

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #15,259 of 31,833
I sure hope they have made serious gains in the QC department. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust an MDK-ESS IEM.

Too many of us got screwed by the horribly sub-par build quality.

It's a different story if they've cleaned up their issues. Other than the build quality and 3 different QC defects, I liked the fit and sound of my MDK-ESS ASK

plus with the 3D-printed shell, I can't imagine end-users being able to open them up to fix whatever QC issues that could arise.

but, along with the blue TRN IM1, I really dig the sparkly design. Reminds me of the qdc Neptune.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #15,260 of 31,833
Hi

Can anyone recommend an over-ear headphone from aliexpress? Preferably bluetooth/wireless...

I searched the thread and did not find a single over-ear headphone - it seems to be mostly in-ears, right? Or did I miss the right expression? (Non-native english speaker, maybe over-ear is not right?).

I mostly listen to electronic stuff like Aphex Twin. But anything with decent sound quality would be good...

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
Flavio

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #15,261 of 31,833
Hi

Can anyone recommend an over-ear headphone from aliexpress? Preferably bluetooth/wireless...

I searched the thread and did not find a single over-ear headphone - it seems to be mostly in-ears, right? Or did I miss the right expression? (Non-native english speaker, maybe over-ear is not right?).

I mostly listen to electronic stuff like Aphex Twin. But anything with decent sound quality would be good...

Thanks for any help!

Cheers
Flavio

Those are discussed in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...ead-on-or-over-ear-headphones.822184/page-343

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #15,263 of 31,833
the MDK-ESS MD01x

I love the colour, very striking. I always wanted to try the MDK-ESS ASK as they looked cool but the QC build issues on Audiobudget put me off. I had no idea how big a problem this was for others.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #15,264 of 31,833
I love the colour, very striking. I always wanted to try the MDK-ESS ASK as they looked cool but the QC build issues on Audiobudget put me off. I had no idea how big a problem this was for others.

They sound good (above average), and the cashew shape fit my ear nicely.

However, here’s the build quality problems that plagued mine:

1. Right out of the box I heard something physically rattling around loose in the left side. There was zero bass on that side too. I opened it up and found the dynamic driver was not even glued in place - it was just loosely flopping around inside the shell. Once I glued the driver in place, it sounded normal including bass.

2. The cable is a 2-pin, but not like KZ/TRN. I think it’s a common plug that was developed by Audio Technica, but don’t quote me on that. The shape is trapezoid; similar to a mini-USB (the larger precursor to the micro-USB). Anyways, both of mine were very loose and it would cause annoying random sound cutouts. I smooshed and deformed the trapezoid-shaped male 2-pin plug with pliers, which allowed it to fit tightly and solve the cutout problems. In their defense, I believe this was not an unheard of complaint even with genuine Audio Technica IEM. I guess it’s just a crappy design, which could explain why hardly any company uses that style of plug. Again, I could be wrong though.

3. My right shell fell apart on the 2nd day, with only about 4 hours of total listening time. I was able to glue the 2 halves back together.

Vidal (the now defunct Aproear) also had similar problems with his. I know for a fact his shell fell apart. I am not sure if he had other QC issues though.

I think @HungryPanda has a pair. Again, not sure if he had problems with his.

In any event, as much as some people pick in KZ, their build quality and QC reliability is 10xs better than MDK-ESS (at least the few models that came out at the end of 2017 ie ASK etc).

Hopefully they’ve made a conscious effort to improve the build quality. It at least appears that way with this new model.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #15,265 of 31,833
Jan 7, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #15,266 of 31,833
I'm listening to Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express with the Ask's in at the moment, nothing wrong with mine

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #15,267 of 31,833
I'm listening to Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express with the Ask's in at the moment, nothing wrong with mine

Glad yours are problem-free :)

I saw Kraftwerk in concert at Moogfest in 2014. I’ve wanted to see them in concert my whole life. It was epic!

Have you ever heard Basskraft (a Kraftwerk tribute band)? It’s like Kraftwerk on steroids! I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I might just like them more than the original lol

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #15,270 of 31,833
I have bought the trn mmcx cable for tin t2's and one side puts on, off and spins very easy, is there a way to fix that?

Using a sharp pocket-knife or small screwdriver blade, and being careful not to poke yourself, try spreading the GND Split-Ring a little bit on the MMCX plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back