CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,328 of 31,832
Anyone try these 5 bucks earphone? FSL Zinc Zn30

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #2,330 of 31,832
I am also one of those people who is not very impressed with the MEMT X5s. They are built well, but they should be when they cost $19- they are twice as expensive as something like a KZ ZS3. I love how small they are and their non-fatiguing sound signature. I can sleep with them and can use them when I want something that will not give me headaches (I am treble sensitive). They also have good bass. But their midrange is weak and imaging and soundstage qualities are not good at all. They also have awful microphonics. 

I've been testing some of the IEMs I have with my Cayin N3. It's surprising to see that I keep going back to the ZSTs over other IEMs I have like KZ ZS3, MEMT X5, etc. I never really liked the ZSTs as I thought they are too bright for my taste. I still cannot listen to the ZSTs for an extended period, but I feel they are the only IEMs I have that can bring out all the details well when using with my N3. I am thinking of trying the Somic V4 or the Urbanfuns next. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #2,331 of 31,832
  I am also one of those people who is not very impressed with the MEMT X5s. They are built well, but they should be when they cost $19- they are twice as expensive as something like a KZ ZS3. I love how small they are and their non-fatiguing sound signature. I can sleep with them and can use them when I want something that will not give me headaches (I am treble sensitive). They also have good bass. But their midrange is weak and imaging and soundstage qualities are not good at all. They also have awful microphonics. 

Agreed 100%, i like X5s size and build quality, however when compared to identically priced XE800 they only win on bass quantity. Imaging and soundstage is very much their achilles heel imho. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2,332 of 31,832

Agreed 100%, i like X5s size and build quality, however when compared to identically priced XE800 they only win on bass quantity. Imaging and soundstage is very much their achilles heel imho. 

Backlash is inevitable in this game. Almost without exception, we go through a cycle where some obscure, inexpensive IEM is annointed as the next big thing, garners uniform, gushing praise, then gets widely panned--we've seen it with the Shozy Zero, **** 4in1, KZ ED9, LZ A2S, Vivo and even the Urbanfun. It seems like it's now the X5's time in the bucket. Like most of the foregoing I find the X5 to be neither as great as its fans proclaimed nor nearly as bad as its detractors are now claiming. It's a <$20 piece, which like almost all <$20 piece will have its pros and cons (although I still find it hard to find flaw with the Urbanfun).

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,333 of 31,832
Backlash is inevitable in this game. Almost without exception, we go through a cycle where some obscure, inexpensive IEM is annointed as the next big thing, garners uniform, gushing praise, then gets widely panned--we've seen it with the Shozy Zero, **** 4in1, KZ ED9, LZ A2S, Vivo and even the Urbanfun. It seems like it's now the X5's time in the bucket. Like most of the foregoing I find the X5 to be neither as great as its fans proclaimed nor nearly as bad as its detractors are now claiming. It's a <$20 piece, which like almost all <$20 piece will have its pros and cons (although I still find it hard to find flaw with the Urbanfun).

We need to move up the $ scale so that most of the weak points can be improved all around . $150 ?

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,334 of 31,832
We need to move up the $ scale so that most of the weak points can be improved all around . $150 ?

You could sure put K3 Pro and Sendiy M1221 in that category IMO
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,335 of 31,832

You got it man. They're a perfectly solid earphone with both positive and negative qualities. Worth the ~20 bucks imo.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2,336 of 31,832

You got it man. They're a perfectly solid earphone with both positive and negative qualities. Worth the ~20 bucks imo.

Exactly @B9Scrambler , ones worth of these products is as subjective as the products themselves
wink_face.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,337 of 31,832

not sure--one of the great things about chifi is that cost has such an unpredictable correlation to quality. i will agree that while my best $50-100 iems (e.g. pmv, moni) are excellent, i can't say they're flawless, while with my best $100-150 iems (e.g. d2, tk13) it's tough to find maqterial weakness.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,338 of 31,832
To be clear, I am not completely regretting my purchase of the X5s. They have their pros & certain unique features, especially at this price, as I mentioned above. I do love how non-fatiguing their sound signature is, how small and comfortable they are. They also sound good with the kind of music I listen to. But sometimes, I do like a little bit more warmth and detail in the mids and a better sound stage. 

I guess we are spoilt by KZs and Monks, which provide so much value for money that we expect other Chifi brands to do the same at a very low price. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,339 of 31,832
To be clear, I am not completely regretting my purchase of the X5s. They have their pros & certain unique features, especially at this price, as I mentioned above. I do love how non-fatiguing their sound signature is, how small and comfortable they are. They also sound good with the kind of music I listen to. But sometimes, I do like a little bit more warmth and detail in the mids and a better sound stage. 

I guess we are spoilt by KZs and Monks, which provide so much value for money that we expect other Chifi brands to do the same at a very low price. 
Yep, that's what happens when you've tried many ear buds and burin-in. What the average consumer considers "amazing" will be decent by our standards. :joy:. Cheers!

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,340 of 31,832

My theory is everyone has a true 'type' even in earphones, my earphone 'type' is typically bright, detailed, slight lower on bass and with a big soundstage.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy another style of earphone from time to time.

I have a lot of earphones, some I will probably never listen to again because they don't appeal and some like the Memt X5 that will get an outing every once in a while. If your type is the sound signature of the Memt X5 then you'll love them if not they might end up being a something for the weekend pair like mine are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back