Best android music player app?
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #572 of 633
In the end I settled on AIMP and musicolet; they are free, no ads, and they are the only ones (to my knowledge) to support multiple queues with automatic bookmarking. Spotify music player also works that way. I really like the features of neutron, hyby, rocket player, black player , poweramp but they miss this feature of the multiple queues, which for me is invaluable.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #573 of 633
@tuxx - Sorry for the late response. As far as I can remember (long ago), I downloaded JetAudio and then uninstalled same day. :beyersmile: That's the thing for me, man. If it feels even a little bit buggy or gives you notifications you do not need, I'm not keeping it. The main purpose of having a player in a smartphone is convenience. If it gives you headaches, uninstall, then try something else (like Stellio, of course). Best of luck! :wink:

For me JetAudio works best, especially with the Bongiovi DPS feature turned on. It sounds more like DSEE HX, which is what new Sony phones has. (except for mine!)

I also purchased Neutron and it sounds really good with the 64-bit digital processing, despite the lack of a digital signal enhancement engine or any fancy shmancy enhancer. For now i'll keep both apps as my disk storage is still plenty.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #576 of 633
Any app that does music AND audiobook support? Failing that any with a bookmark option?

Thanks

JetAudio can playback podcasts that you have downloaded online. Maybe it could playback audiobooks as well. (I don't know if m4b is supported on the player)

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #578 of 633
Jet Audio is my go to music app on my fiio x5ii, simply love it and all the possibilities it provides.
Just checked it again, still does not support full replaygain implementation (track/album modes, don’t know which mode it implements by default but I guess track).

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #579 of 633
I'm using Rocket Player (the paid for version), 99.9% of the time with 16/44 FLAC files. I'm currently considering taking my first steps into using a DAC/Headphone amp (investigating buying the Schiit Asgard 3, and also seeing if I'd benefit in better headphones than my current Sennheiser HD595) and am wondering a) how I physically wire it up (assuming it's just USB OTB) and b) how it's possible to apply EQ assuming that Rocket Player is decompressing the FLAC file and squirting it down the USB lead. Would I need to get an EQ unit post amplification?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #580 of 633
anything better than neutron ?

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #581 of 633
Streaming DSD128 music from the Diskstation DS414 works fine via the computer/laptop diskstation browser. But when I am trying to use the DS Audio android app it crashes when browsing the DSD files!

May 6, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #582 of 633
I find UAPP USB dac driver is worse than Android driver. USB dac has narrower soundstage. Volume is too loud and the melody/beat is too forward. It sounds too in your face. Android sounds better, even though there's resample. Everything blends in and nothing is too forward. Music is more relaxing and emotional. Is it just me that hear this?
Hey, after using UAPP with the Meizu dongle for a couple of months, I tried android driver with the AINUR NARSIL mod, and i've found the sound to more open and natural, just like you said. I am using "vinyl music player" from f-droid which I believe is a pretty basic music player that uses the standard android libraries from android 10.
(Also converted my flac to opus 160kb/s to save space on the phone since I've found out I hear no differences with proper ABX tests)

May 6, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #583 of 633
Hiby Music and also an update about players. First, I'm suspicious of really bulky players like JetAudio, and for me it did not offer any real benefits. I previously bought Stellio and find it disappointing now. My phone (Xiaomi) does not seem to like it, and it takes forever to rescan collections. Rocket Player seems worth owning if you like their way of displaying music, but I'm not sure it otherwise offers more than the best free players. Those seem to me Musicolet, AIMP, and the two sisters Pulsar and Omnia.

But I best like playing through an external DAC (I have an FXaudio). Though I bought UAPP, and have no real complaints about its audio quality (I sure do think it is better than Androids own resampling), I seem to like Hiby Music more, and it is FREE (lord knows why). Hiby's interface is very powerful and attractive, but it is also very non-standard so it has a definite learning curve. I've not seen it mentioned here, but I suggest checking it out. One nice feature is that you can control a playing instance of Hiby (playing through a DAC to speakers) with another instance of Hiby (with me on the other side of the room on a couch), for example.

The adventurous might like to know that Chromebook's linux subsystem can output ALSA audio pretty close to bit perfect it seems through USB-C for example to either HDMI or optical outputs into a DAC. The touchscreen makes a good music control system. Several linux players work, but good old GMusicbrowser is one with the layout options that best suit the different ways I like to have my music organized, and it also has clear configuration control.

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #585 of 633
I don't really like Poweramp how I sound. I've been trying again in a few players with my new BTR5 and for now my favorites are Neutron, Stellio and Fiio Music sounds pretty good too. All three quite warm without overdoing it and with a more natural sound than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back