Best android music player app?
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #602 of 633
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #603 of 633
https://github.com/AdrienPoupa/VinylMusicPlayer

This one has replayGain, gapless and many other features. It's libre/open source so no tracking or other shady stuff happening in the back:)

the player on my hidizs ap80 is pretty good. it has the key features that i want
1- dark mode
2- play directly from sd card folder structure
3- play through folders option
4- replaygain

except when i power it on it takes like 5 clicks before i get to the sd card folder structure, which is stupid. they need an option so i can set the default power up page to the sd card. so soon as i turn it on i see my folders of music. omnia android player has that option, but it doesnt have play through folders option. the playback literally stops once it reaches the last song in a folder. forcing you to build a queue first before you play files.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #604 of 633
the player on my hidizs ap80 is pretty good. it has the key features that i want
1- dark mode
2- play directly from sd card folder structure
3- play through folders option
4- replaygain

except when i power it on it takes like 5 clicks before i get to the sd card folder structure, which is stupid. they need an option so i can set the default power up page to the sd card. so soon as i turn it on i see my folders of music. omnia android player has that option, but it doesnt have play through folders option. the playback literally stops once it reaches the last song in a folder. forcing you to build a queue first before you play files.
Hiby has play through folders and everything else you listed. It's actually very rich in term of features but I find the app to be a bit slow and bloated. Might be fine to use on a dedicated device i guess.

Feb 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #605 of 633
Hiby has play through folders and everything else you listed. It's actually very rich in term of features but I find the app to be a bit slow and bloated. Might be fine to use on a dedicated device i guess.

ya hiby makes the software for hidizs devices

i would actually like to get a hiby r3 because the screen and battery are a bit bigger then my ap80

or maybe i will just use a phone eventually. you can always buy one of those high res dongles to get better sound qualtiy

i would probobly use omnia android player

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #606 of 633
Just tried omnia player. It does a lot indeed (artist picture, artwork fetching, extensive playlist, tagging, files info..). And it's fast. Very pleased. I still stick to auxio because I like the UX and the simplicity but omnia deserve more recognition !! It's miles ahead of most music apps, free and paid combined.
i will just use a phone eventually
Yeah dongle/mini dac is the real deal since a couple of years now.
I suggest get a phone you can root and install vanilla android on it. So no weird DSP from OEM (like xiaomi seems to like to do)
And you can have system wide parametric EQ with magisk modules for the price of free.

Also tried replayGain. It took me 3 hours to scan my library and apply the tags on foobar2K. But I guess it's a nice feature when some records are mastered way too loud.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #607 of 633
Just tried omnia player. It does a lot indeed

i only like it if its setup properly. i think the default setup i dont like

also i wish it would play through folders when playing directly off the sd card instead of stopping

I suggest get a phone

im using a free online phone right now. i dont even have a physical phone atm

Also tried replayGain. It took me 3 hours to scan my library and apply the tags on foobar2K. But I guess it's a nice feature when some records are mastered way too loud.

i think replaygain sets every track to 89DB

stuff in the 70's was mastered to around 85DB and new stuff now is about 105DB

but the main point is getting it alll the same without interfering with the song itself

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #608 of 633
overcomplicated for most people

and if it doesnt have replaygain its useless garbadge

most of these players dont even know how to play through folders and keep playing haha.

my hidizs ap80 does. it has replaygain and play through folders options

best player is simply one that plays the file structure directly and doesnt stop playing. amazing how something simple is so hard to find in todays overcomplicated neurotic world
While you don't have the best way of describing the advantages to others, I do appreciate someone who appreciates the features we pushed to have implemented :)

You're more likely to lose your hearing by accidentally turning the volume knob to max, than because the player doesn't have replay gain.
First thing I do when I'm trying a new player is to deactivate the RG or any kind of normalisation.
I don't need that.
I don't want that to mess with the original signal.

Your requirement are not everyone's requirements.
While he doesn't have the best way of describing the situation, a player not having replay gain is one reason why you might have your "volume knob to max by accident", simply by listening to a quiet classical and then a loud pop track one after the other (especially if that song order was the result of an accident or shuffle).

Some variant of Replaygain is now implemented in every major streaming service, Hi-Res or otherwise, at least as an option, if not the default...

On an offline player, it is as simple a matter as finding the tag and adjusting the volume accordingly and I would certainly consider it low hanging fruit for a player developer...

i think replaygain sets every track to 89DB

stuff in the 70's was mastered to around 85DB and new stuff now is about 105DB

but the main point is getting it alll the same without interfering with the song itself

"Getting it all the same" does sound a bit off. For one thing, dynamics differences are preserved, which is why less compressed albums get to shine again compared to their "radio edit" competitors when Replaygain is applied on files or something like that is applied on streaming.

For another, different tracks in the same album usually have some volume differences, which are as intended. Selecting the album gain instead of track gain as the Replaygain reference (as you can do) lets you preserve those differences, when listening to an album in order.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 5, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #609 of 633
For another, different tracks in the same album usually have some volume differences, which are as intended. Selecting the album gain instead of track gain as the Replaygain reference (as you can do) lets you preserve those differences, when listening to an album in order.

i never liked this feature. i always use track gain not album gain

mind you i also delete any songs from albums i dont like. so many of my albums are massacred

when im out and about listening to music i need good songs only. and i dont want to touch the volume knob

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #610 of 633
i never liked this feature. i always use track gain not album gain

mind you i also delete any songs from albums i dont like. so many of my albums are massacred

when im out and about listening to music i need good songs only. and i dont want to touch the volume knob
Perhaps a good feature enhancement in the future would be for us to automatically choose track gain when the player is in shuffle mode and/or when the next track in the temporary playlist is not the next track from the same album.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #611 of 633
Perhaps a good feature enhancement in the future would be for us to automatically choose track gain when the player is in shuffle mode and/or when the next track in the temporary playlist is not the next track from the same album.

technology is complex and therefore attracts complex minded people. these types suck at simplicity and often overcomplicate everything

look at musicolet player:

Multiple Queues
Now it is possible to create/manage one Queue while listening songs from another Queue. Musicolet is the only music player in android market which supports multiple Queues. You can create maximum 20 Queues.

what the fck do i need 20 queues for? haha. and the stupid player probobly cant even simply play off the sd card directly and without stopping

i guess i need 20 queues to compensate for the fact that it lacks basic functionality

just like metadata. you dont even need that complicated mess if you organize your folders properly: genre > subgenre > band > year-album > tracks

i just want to play directly from my sd card without any hassles. when i turn my player on i want to see my sd card. and it should keep playing without stopping and forcing me to use 100 queues and database indexing and 100 other things poeple who overcomplicate things use

the world is stupid. look at all these extra bass headphones. they ruined the whole headphone market. the only good headphones are the monitors but they all have crappy shallow ear pads. and every developer is copying every other stupid developer. facepalm. capitalism = one million crappy choices to pick from

omnia android player just needs a play through folders option

and hiby just needs an option to show the sd card files page by default when u power on

then those two players would be the best ive seen so far

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #612 of 633
technology is complex and therefore attracts complex minded people. these types suck at simplicity and often overcomplicate everything

look at musicolet player:

Multiple Queues
Now it is possible to create/manage one Queue while listening songs from another Queue. Musicolet is the only music player in android market which supports multiple Queues. You can create maximum 20 Queues.

what the fck do i need 20 queues for? haha. and the stupid player probobly cant even simply play off the sd card directly and without stopping

i guess i need 20 queues to compensate for the fact that it lacks basic functionality

just like metadata. you dont even need that complicated mess if you organize your folders properly: genre > subgenre > band > year-album > tracks

i just want to play directly from my sd card without any hassles. when i turn my player on i want to see my sd card. and it should keep playing without stopping and forcing me to use 100 queues and database indexing and 100 other things poeple who overcomplicate things use

the world is stupid. look at all these extra bass headphones. they ruined the whole headphone market. the only good headphones are the monitors but they all have crappy shallow ear pads. and every developer is copying every other stupid developer. facepalm. capitalism = one million crappy choices to pick from

omnia android player just needs a play through folders option

and hiby just needs an option to show the sd card files page by default when u power on

then those two players would be the best ive seen so far
Unfortunately the world is a little more complicated than that. One complication is different people wanting different things, as other people pointed out. Dismissing everyone else's wishes does not win us a lot of friends or users.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #613 of 633
One complication is different people wanting different things,

more like ignorant people wanting different things

like extra bass headphones which destroy the mids

if you have proper headphones you dont even need equalizer

my ap80 has two equalizers. more uneeded overcomplications. one problem to fix another problem

equalizers and metadata indexing are both based on ignorance

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #614 of 633
more like ignorant people wanting different things

like extra bass headphones which destroy the mids

if you have proper headphones you dont even need equalizer

my ap80 has two equalizers. more uneeded overcomplications. one problem to fix another problem

equalizers and metadata indexing are both based on ignorance
1. Everyone hears different, especially when using headphones. The MSEB is very well received. Maybe yours are the outlier ears, depending on what you consider "extra bass". Sean Olive's extended target curve research shows a general tendency for there to be "extra bass" required in headphones compared to speakers before their sound is considered neutral to the average ear.
2. You ARE aware that metadata allow you to sort down multiple levels on different attributes each time? I suppose you have folders in artist->album order. What if for a certain subset of your music the relevant order is composer->performer (say the orchestra)->conductor?

You might appreciate metadata better if you knew that e.g. mp3tag is able to automatically sort any number of songs immediately into any subfolder structure you want if your tracks are tagged. That was actually my recommendation for overcoming the db limit on small R players / the AP80. Unfortunately that's only 1 specific folder structure. If the programming chops / hardware grunt existed, one could totally ask for music to be sorted into folders on the fly according to any desired tag attribute (artist, composer, album artist, album, release year, genre...), dig into a folder, then ask for the folder to be subsorted any way you want (again, artist, composer, album artist, album, release year, genre...)

I'll have you know that your attitude to others is condescending enough that I chose to point out something HiByMusic can't do right now (multilevel metadata virtual foldering) over staying in your good books being one of the best players in your consideration. "With friends like these..." comes to mind.

Last edited:

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #615 of 633
Everyone hears different

everyone hears the same. but they interpret what they hear with their ignorant beliefs

You ARE aware that metadata allow you to sort down multiple levels on different attributes each time?

i listen to 1500 hours of music a year and have never once needed metadata

shuffle is another feature that should simply be removed

remove shuffle
remove equalizers
remove metadata

just play directly off the sd card and dont mess with anything

with all the bloat removed maybe the player will load faster and crash less lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back