Beginner: Currently testing Denon AH-D2000, but is there better for classical music?
Oct 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 86

Quote:
Look even Sennheiser HD800 which is often praised among classical listeners have a V-shaped response.

WOW.

I'll assume you're not pulling information from your rear end so I would appreciate it if you could show me some objective scientific measurements that demonstrate this V-shape response of the HD-800.

I have heard many different HD800's and they are definitely not V-shaped. Obviously my ears must be lying to me, so please, prove that statement to me.

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #17 of 86
Well pretty much any frequency response graphs of HD800 shows it and I remember many people here on head-fi saying the same in various threads especially topics touching the subject how many audiophiles sees emphasized highs as neutral cuz it sounds "good" to them.

Don't bother replying as I won't waste my time in this thread anymore but to OP, your Denon D2000 will be fine for this purpose. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #18 of 86

Quote:
Well pretty much any frequency response graphs of HD800 shows it and I remember many people here on head-fi saying the same in various threads especially topics touching the subject how many audiophiles sees emphasized highs as neutral cuz it sounds "good" to them.

Don't bother replying as I won't waste my time in this thread anymore but to OP, your Denon D2000 will be fine for this purpose. 

I'll bother replying so that people aren't misinformed about these graphs due to your failure to comprehend them. Seriously, RPGWiZaRD, this thread might benefit you quite a bit.

For everyone else, open the links in neighboring tabs. Don't move them and just cycle between them.

Here is a typical V-shape sounding headphone:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf

Here is the HD-800 (not exactly neutral but far better than the M-50):
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

See the difference?

Anyway, back on topic....OP, Denon2000 should be ok but I would highly recommend a more neutral headphone like the HD600 or FA-003.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #19 of 86
We audio engineers have a saying. It goes like this:

"The best EQ is no EQ."

Yes.

If a recording can actually be improved through EQ, it has already been done by the mastering engineer on equipment designed to otherwise do no harm. This last consideration is not trivial. The typical consumer EQ (software or hardware) does much more harm than good.

The EQ that is applied to a classical recording is typically very small and in one or two frequency ranges, literally 1/2 or 1/4 dB is all it generally takes to sweeten a well-engineered recording.

Moreover there is no "standard" EQ setting that can be applied to any recording of a given genre to make it sound better. EQ is specific to each recording - if it is even needed.

My next classical recording gig is of a double 'cello concerto with full orchestra. I expect to use no EQ, some precise editing to address audience noise between pieces, judicious gentle limiting to tame the occasional errant high level sample (you would be surprised at the number of exceedingly short high level sections that occur) and that's it. Off to the client.

I have worked in the space before and know the orchestra. The art is in selecting and placing the mics.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 86
I wouldn't dream of speaking for LFF, but I can't master to headphones.

I use HD600's to edit as one can easily hear flaws, low level background changes, etc. with headphones. Then listen on studio monitors in a prepared room for any sound related editing, and finally real world testing on the big rig and even the car.

LFF, great list of reading suggestions in the other thread. I have most of them sitting on a bookshelf now, although I don't have the latest edition of Bob Katz's book.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 86

Quote:
LFF, I'm curious, do you use HPs for re/mastering, or do you stick to flat monitors?

I do use them but they are secondary tools used for careful edits and spot checking. Among my primary tools are flat monitors. My workflow for a typical master or remaster is this:

1. Listen to material and take notes.
2. Proceed to EQ if needed followed by other processing (if needed).
3. Fix any errors such as tape drop outs, thuds, breathplosives, etc. Sometimes done on headphones.
4. Noise reduction if really needed or client insists. Done on headphones.
5. Listen to finished material on speakers.
6. Listen to material on headphones.

If all ok, prepare pmcd and PQ sheet and send off to plant.

Quote:
I wouldn't dream of speaking for LFF, but I can't master to headphones.
I use HD600's to edit as one can easily hear flaws, low level background changes, etc. with headphones. Then listen on studio monitors in a prepared room for any sound related editing, and finally real world testing on the big rig and even the car.
LFF, great list of reading suggestions in the other thread. I have most of them sitting on a bookshelf now, although I don't have the latest edition of Bob Katz's book.

Like you, I use headphones for edits and spot checking. The ONLY time I master exclusively on headphones in when I am doing dummy head recordings.

Glad you liked the list of reading material. I think it should be on every hardcore audiophile's and engineer's shelf. A lot of problems audiophiles and engineers have can easily be solved if you have read those books and understand the material. It's priceless and I wouldn't be where I am today had I not taken the time to learn that material well. You also learn to avoid all the snake oil and BS that is perpetrated by companies in the hi-fi audio world.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #24 of 86
k701 would definitely be some of the best.

grados are also good. sr 325s are awesome, definitely not neutral but very good mids and i love that they sound the most natural out of any headphones i have. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 86

Quote:
k701 would definitely be some of the best.

grados are also good. sr 325s are awesome, definitely not neutral but very good mids and i love that they sound the most natural out of any headphones i have. 

K701's are a decent choice.

Grado's are better for rock than for classical. To really monitor classical music properly you need a headphone with good extension on both ends of the spectrum that manages to preserve a neutral presentation as well as accurate tone and soundstage. FA-003, FA-002W, HD-600 all excel at these tasks. The HE-500 is another excellent choice but way out of the OP's price range. In fact, the HE-500 would be my #1 recommendation.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 86
akg701 are great but for such setup? I doubt but who knows...srh940 are also not bad and safer. but first try at least to fill current pads with something if you dont mind little modding. curiosity is first step to never ending system rolling :D

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #27 of 86
Oct 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #28 of 86
Thanks everyone for your input in this thread!

I have been listening a lot to the D2000 which I have to go and return to the store now. It has been an eye (ear?)-opening week-end since I have got to hear aspects of the music I love in a very new way, closer and more life-like. I have never heard a stroke on the cello come to life like this, except for in the concert hall. Nor Brünnhilde for that matter. I like the sound very much although sometimes I think it sounds a bit muffled, but since most of the time it is very clear I am leaning towards the explanation that it is the recording of the CD in question that is not top-notch. The bass seems very appropriate for opera and symphonies.

I am having an issue, though, with them getting a bit hot over my ears after say 45 minutes or so which lowers the comfort, and also, although they are very comfortable when first put on the head, they are quite loose and move around when I tilt my head.

I am not ready for purchase yet, and even though they are not closed I am getting curious about these phones that are mentioned over and over again, so I will go and listen to a pair of DT880, a HD600/650 and possible also a K701. FischerAudio seems not to be sold in Sweden where I live, so I have to discard that one straight off, regrettably.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated!
/g

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #29 of 86
d2000 are indeed very interesting HP if you sacrifice some time to "cure" them :D cable and pads are first things to change. as for mentioned HP like akg or beyers which are IMO better technically than stock denons youll have to improve your setup to make them shine.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #30 of 86
Sorry for stealing the topic for a quick question...

Quote:
I have worked in the space before and know the orchestra. The art is in selecting and placing the mics.

Wapiti,
Ha! Perhaps you can help me with this. If I only have 1 stereo mic (H4N for example), where would be the best place to place it for recording orchestra?

Mostly piano concerto / symphonies.

I might beable to pull out another mic from H4N for soloist too, but not sure if that will cause any echo or bad effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back