Beats
Oct 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #61 of 80
I've never heard the Dr dre beats but I doubt they're as horrible as people on these forums make them out to be. So what if they're marked up? Damn near everything in society is "marked up". This Dr.Dre beats headphone hate just sounds to me like a bunch of angry nerds mad that their $1400 Sennheisers aren't the "cool" headphones and they get no "cool" points. Also comes from hiphop haters in general. If people enjoy the beats, then its worth it.... whos to say they will like the sound of the headphones you're comparing them to? Who said they're "audiophiles" and give a **** about your charts, statistics and other ****? They just want a nice looking headphones thats in style and sounds good and I see nothing wrong with that. If they enjoy the headphone then that's what matters. If they want more from some headphones then they will find what they're looking for, period.

The thing is, when compared to other headphones made by reputable manufactures the Beats come up waaaay short. There is no value to be had in Beats.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #62 of 80
I have a pair of Beats Pro headphones. They sound great with certain modern music. But they sound absolutely awful with classical, jazz or connected to my digital (Clavinova) piano. They are headphones with a particular purpose and music genre in mind. They are not audiophile, but that does not mean they are not enjoyable with the right music and equipment. In fact for those with mobile phones etc that are light on bass, the headphone can make up for it and provide a more pleasing sound, particularly for modern R&B, Urban and Electronica. The pros are not particularly comfortable for long periods as they really clamp on the head. They are also partly a fashion statement, and there is nothing wrong with that either. If you want some fun with sound, to be part of a fashion statement, I have no issue with those that buy them. But I am sorry to say, that they are absolutely not an equivalent, or price value item for those seeking more neutral, acurate, revealing headphones for a wide genre range of music.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #63 of 80
I have the Pros as well, and I'm getting ready to sell them (picked up a pair of Pro 900s). These were my first set of expensive headphones and for the most part I was extremely happy with them. But now that I'm working full time and generally listening to music for about 8 hours a day, I'm looking for a more comfortable set with a better sound.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #64 of 80
Listened to some pro yesterday out of curiosity, not bad at all for the money. Strong coherent presentation! Was listening to Faithless No Roots which seems to be one of those albums that brings out the best in a good headphone. I could live with them for a while.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #65 of 80
I didn't mean to start a whole new ****storm against beats. Just was glad someone got my humor on the previous page of this thread....

So I will in turn say something nice about beats. One thing you have to acknowledge is that the headphone industry has more than doubled since the release of Beats. And while I shutter when I think of some poor kid saving up 300 dollars just to have a (b) printed on the side of his head, it also opens up a lot of people to the world of audio.

Now it is so much easier to start that conversation with someone about trying something knew you know? Like "hey I see you have the new beats can I hear? Why don't you take a listen to these 200 dollar Beyers I have here..." or better yet, "Hey I see you have the beats solos, why don't you take a listen to my $25 JVC S400's. You spent how much again?"

I mean getting co workers to ditch their Bose for the likes of the $7.11 Monoprice or getting someone to upgrade is always somewhat rewarding.

All I am saying is, that they are popular yes, but they have also popularized the hobby in general.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #66 of 80
Sorry to jump in on an old thread but I want to put in my two cents.  I am a lifelong musician (jazz, classical, hiphop) producing for a few years.  The big beats are a rip off for sure. 

If you can get a good deal on the lightweight solo HD they have a nice bass response.  Fragile yes, my pair broke a month after warranty ended (13 months) and were replaced for free. 

I love these for dog walking, I can still hear noises from cars that would kill me (this last walk with the AT770s I almost died!!!

The original solo did suck and I think they are all HD now...not sure, but they have the perfect ON-EAR cushion, great bass and mids.

Behyrdynamic (sp always) makes a GREAT set of lightweight headphone around $250....they are the only smallish on ear cans I would want to mess with, though their design tangles some peoples hair.  

I love my solo HDs...I can put a ball cap on and have phones on with the top at back of my neck still getting my bump on.

This Beats Bashing I feel has been so good for music.  Its making people thinking about what they listen to their music on, which gets people thinking about the quality of the sound file, then the quality of their playback equipment, etc.  

But ultimately I don't think we should have to buy bass bumpers (my word for the Z0 thing) and super expensive headphones to hear either accurate music or Bass Thumping music.

And by analyzing these things as consumers we gain power.  I guarentee the next rapper to put out headphone will talk to a company like
Behrydynamic or Senheiser instead of a cable company first. 

But this is all good......I'm ok with digital music but we need to up the quality of the original source files or all these amps and cans are turd polishing.  

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #67 of 80
Sorry to jump in on an old thread but I want to put in my two cents.  I am a lifelong musician (jazz, classical, hiphop) producing for a few years.  The big beats are a rip off for sure. 

If you can get a good deal on the lightweight solo HD they have a nice bass response.  Fragile yes, my pair broke a month after warranty and were replaced for free. 

The original solo did suck and I think they are all HD now...not sure, but they have the perfect ON-EAR cushion, great bass and mids.

This Beats Bashing I feel has been so good for music.  Its making people thinking about what they listen to their music on, which gets people thinking about the quality of the sound file, then the quality of their playback equipment, etc.  

But ultimately I don't think we should have to buy bass bumpers (my word for the Z0 thing) and super expensive headphones to hear either accurate music or Bass Thumping music.

And by analyzing these things as consumers we gain power.  I guarentee the next rapper to put out headphone will talk to a company like
Behrydynamic or Senheiser instead of a cable company first. 

But this is all good......I'm ok with digital music but we need to up the quality of the original source files or all these amps and cans are turd polishing.  

Beats isn't owned by monster anymore and the new beats for 2012 are now an independent brand. They are actually quite nice and not muddled with bass like they used to be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #69 of 80
The Pros's and the Mixr's are not too bad for what they are- bass cans. However, they are slightly overpriced for the level of SQ, but they're worth it for build quality. They clamp too tightly to the ears though.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #70 of 80
People i know act as if beats were te best thing that ever happened to music. I dont get why they admire overpriced, muddy headphones. They tell me how amazing the sound quality is and how i neeeeed a pair. I dont get it. Why do people like beats so much?

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #71 of 80
Hi, first of all, why say "how bad" ? Ok, Beats are very tendance for fashion conscious people which has played a huge role in their popularity. That said, the beats mxr is good sound wise
  1. middle and highs are clear
  2. deep and powerful bases: handles them better than many headsets of the same range.
  3. good exterior sound insulation

A few pitfalls, though:
  1. predominant bases
  2. arch a little too tight
  3. a little heavy for a supra

For those who understand any French there's a review of the beats solo and company on my website.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #72 of 80
I offered to design a quality pair of headphones for them based on 3 drivers per ear and a unique electronics, I even built a prototype. Testing showed 1hz to 22,000. And the amp and equalizer (would come with the headphones) made response flat, if you wanted it to be. 
I called them Dynamic Duos, I never heard back from Dr. Dre. or Sony. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #73 of 80
Quote:
I offered to design a quality pair of headphones for them based on 3 drivers per ear and a unique electronics, I even built a prototype. Testing showed 1hz to 22,000. And the amp and equalizer (would come with the headphones) made response flat, if you wanted it to be. 
I called them Dynamic Duos, I never heard back from Dr. Dre. or Sony. 

Can't imagine why they turned you down. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #74 of 80
I just tried the beats executive...urg. They do look great, and they feel really solid! The earpads are small for a full-sized model but the campling pressure was pretty strong and it got uncomfortable after a few minutes. They are heavy but that didn't bother me while wearing them. Now comes the sound: muddy, distorted bass, and the hiss that is common with most ANC headphones is very very annoying. Really, how can they sell these and have to guts to charge $300 USD?! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back