Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Nov 11, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #286 of 444
I've tried the Solo 2, and I would have to concede it is better than say, B&W P5 (series 1, never heard the series 2). But I still don't think it is an impressive headphone, granted I hate bass and I like cans with little bass - but I'd still pick the say, Beyers T51p than the Solo 2.

Though I am quite happy Beats are upping their game - my little sister has been asking for a Beats headphone for more than a year now - and now I can (and have) bought her a pair of Beats. I can buy her a Beats headphone consciously with my dignity still intact now as I know I'm not buying her a completely rubbish headphone - not that expensive as well compared to my headphones 
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #287 of 444
  I've tried the Solo 2, and I would have to concede it is better than say, B&W P5 (series 1, never heard the series 2). But I still don't think it is an impressive headphone, granted I hate bass and I like cans with little bass - but I'd still pick the say, Beyers T51p than the Solo 2.

Though I am quite happy Beats are upping their game - my little sister has been asking for a Beats headphone for more than a year now - and now I can (and have) bought her a pair of Beats. I can buy her a Beats headphone consciously with my dignity still intact now as I know I'm not buying her a completely rubbish headphone - not that expensive as well compared to my headphones 
tongue.gif

With the fidelity they have achieved with the solo 2, I am excited to see what they can do with the Beats Pro and next studio iteration now that apple is in the equation. Things are looking good for the consumer market so its win win for everyone :)

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #288 of 444
  Hmmmm…..  Didn't see them on the wall, but it looks like it has only been an hour or two?  I won't buy them, can't stand on ear headphones.  I'd consider something closed, over ears that didn't suck and wasn't a combination of ugly and bling, in the $200 +/- range.  something that plays well from an iPhone and won't break my heart if I kill it accidentally.  Basically great sounding, closed over ear beaters.  If Beats makes 'em, I'll try 'em.  Not the Solo2, but only because of the form factor.  Well, and the beatsbling look….  I haven't been cool enough to pull off that look for at least 25 years….

Same here, I can't justify paying 200$ for on ear headphones when you can go with SOL republics for 99$. I heard the new Beats Studios and they seem to have improved the sound quality slightly but it only shined with edm music, classical and hip hop didn't sound that great. With edm it was pretty clear and bassy and was fun to listen to. Still a high price tag and apparently the bands have a tendency to break apart easily.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #289 of 444

Same here, I can't justify paying 200$ for on ear headphones when you can go with SOL republics for 99$. I heard the new Beats Studios and they seem to have improved the sound quality slightly but it only shined with edm music, classical and hip hop didn't sound that great. With edm it was pretty clear and bassy and was fun to listen to. Still a high price tag and apparently the bands have a tendency to break apart easily.

I don't think the new Solo 2s will break as easily as the old ones. The new design feels like a great improvement in terms of durability.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #290 of 444
  I don't think the new Solo 2s will break as easily as the old ones. The new design feels like a great improvement in terms of durability.

Just to clarify I was referring to the old beats which had that tendency. I am sure these won't break with good care. Sound quality has improved but I don't know if I can compare it to those in same range since I'm new to all of this. I don't see myself purchasing Beats anytime soon as I just purchased Monster Npulse's and I plan on trying the Sound Magic Hp100's for my second pair as I'm discovering the audio tech world. Once I become slightly an audiophile then I'll make harsh judgements. :)

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #291 of 444
  Just to clarify I was referring to the old beats which had that tendency. I am sure these won't break with good care. Sound quality has improved but I don't know if I can compare it to those in same range since I'm new to all of this. I don't see myself purchasing Beats anytime soon as I just purchased Monster Npulse's and I plan on trying the Sound Magic Hp100's for my second pair as I'm discovering the audio tech world. Once I become slightly an audiophile then I'll make harsh judgements. :)

Oh, the way it was phrased led me to think you were referring to the Solo 2s when saying they had the tendency to break easily.

Just go for what you like! Different strokes for different folks.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #292 of 444

Having tried the Sol Republics, I find them to be subpar sq wise and they don't have that great a build quality either. Before the solo 2 released, Sol republic were great in comparison, but I don't think are as great as anymore.

Historically, a lot of anti beats people hyped up r lesser priced brands to point out how overpriced Beats are, hence why republics have a good reputation. SOL republics need to step up their game to keep up with the big boys now seeing as how the Solo 2 is actually good lol (As much as it pains me to say :p jking ).

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #293 of 444

Having tried the Sol Republics, I find them to be subpar sq wise and they don't have that great a build quality either. Before the solo 2 released, Sol republic were great in comparison, but I don't think are as great as anymore.

Historically, a lot of anti beats people hyped up r lesser priced brands to point out how overpriced Beats are, hence why republics have a good reputation. SOL republics need to step up their game to keep up with the big boys now seeing as how the Solo 2 is actually good lol (As much as it pains me to say :p jking ).

I am not an anti-Beats activist. :D

Sols like you said offer alternative to Beats but also for people who seek to assoiciate themselves with mainstream brand other than Beats but similar in approach. I never had a listen in one the SOL headphones, although a friend recommended that I purchase a pair. Of course I prefer doing my research on my own and this forum has largely been responsible for me informing me, lol.

Nevertheless I did purchase from a mainstream brand but I heard the specific ones are good for the price. And because I am still doing more research on the audiphile preference so I need to consider also getting an amp with a new pair of headphones maybe from Sound Magic or Grado, not sure yet. Right now I will try the Npulse's out, I'm supposed to have them arrive pretty soon.

I wouldn't mind purchasing Beats but in a later stage in life, right now I'm in phase of getting to know about these top notch headphones, lol. Just curious though, what stands out in the new Solo's? Did they improve clarity and reduce bass? Is that enough for most people or do they prefer the other stuff like soundstage and so on which I'm still getting familiar with? :)

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #294 of 444
I have always looked at Beats users with some disdain and sympathy for their consumerist wh-re ways. It is good to see that they are improving the sound quality of the brand. It makes me wonder how my treasured pair of Fischer Audio FA-011s stack up. I bought them for their uncompromising sound - lovely sparkly treble with no sibilance, warm smooth and delicious mids with bass that hits hard, fast and accurate. On top of it all, a massive and accurate sound stage. They are everything I wanted except that darned headband. Both clips have now broken off. The cups could be deeper for better comfort, but I know that changes the sound.
Has anyone tried out both of these and can offer some words of comparison?

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #295 of 444
After reading this thread and Tyll's review I picked up a pair of the Hello Kitty solo 2 for my wife. I've only listened with them for a few hours and am pretty impressed with the sound. Obviously for 250 I can find better cans but they won't have hello kitty on them lol.

Anyone got the Solo 2 wireless yet? I'm tempted to get them. Great iphone and Mac integration and decent SQ over Bluetooth would be sweet as my casual cans. Also my USB amp been skipping like crazy since Yosemite so I want something that sounds decent unamped.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #297 of 444
  The thing about beats is it's heavily marketed brand.  Which means there is a certain image associated with it.  The image is built with  hip-hop artists and celebraties to wearing them.  Also the looks of the phones targets a certain age group IMO.  

I don't fit the profile of a beats guy.  I don't like the styling, it's too trendy looking and I don't want to be one of the millions of those beats guys on the streets that for sure.  Just the image they have developed puts me away from even trying them.

My main focus is sound, and don't care for image or styling as long as I don't look like I have beer can on my ears. :)

You've contradicted yourself in the same post

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #299 of 444
  I have always looked at Beats users with some disdain and sympathy for their consumerist wh-re ways. It is good to see that they are improving the sound quality of the brand. It makes me wonder how my treasured pair of Fischer Audio FA-011s stack up. I bought them for their uncompromising sound - lovely sparkly treble with no sibilance, warm smooth and delicious mids with bass that hits hard, fast and accurate. On top of it all, a massive and accurate sound stage. They are everything I wanted except that darned headband. Both clips have now broken off. The cups could be deeper for better comfort, but I know that changes the sound.
Has anyone tried out both of these and can offer some words of comparison?

they probably view you the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back