Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Oct 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #271 of 444
Had a listen to the Solo 2 today and have to say they are not bad headphones at all! Only issue I have with them is the price which I think is slightly over the mark, but they do look pretty cool and they aren't uncomfortable. The sound signature reminded me of the Sennheiser HD449 (which I demo'ed very quickly) minus a bit of grain, not totally as mid centric and definitely more comfortable and better looking. Only problem is the HD449 retails for about 40% of the price I can get the Solo 2 for. The Solo 2 would make for a nice all round headphone for people starting out in Head-Fi or who are more concious of their headphone styling. I definitely think they are better than the Beats.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #272 of 444
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I seek some wisdom. It has come down to the Solo2 or Sennheiser's Urbanite on-ear. I'm gonna need opinions on both. I travel a lot and am mainly going to use them for EDM.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #273 of 444
Sorry for reviving this thread, but I seek some wisdom. It has come down to the Solo2 or Sennheiser's Urbanite on-ear. I'm gonna need opinions on both. I travel a lot and am mainly going to use them for EDM.
after comparing both, I liked the solo 2 more.

Edit: My main genre is EDM also.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #274 of 444
Sorry to bother you, but would you mind sharing your opinion about the Solo 2's build quality? I began considering the Urbanite in the first place because the Beats seemed a bit flimsy and easy to break, and also 'cause people praised the Sennheiser can's liquid smooth mids and high quality bass (even though the highs are a bit rolled off)

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #275 of 444
  Sorry to bother you, but would you mind sharing your opinion about the Solo 2's build quality? I began considering the Urbanite in the first place because the Beats seemed a bit flimsy and easy to break, and also 'cause people praised the Sennheiser can's liquid smooth mids and high quality bass (even though the highs are a bit rolled off)

These new Solo 2's build quality has considerably improved compared to the old 1st gen Solos. The former has a heavier build that also feels heavier than the latter. The Solo 2 also has hinges that click into place better, and has a thicker, broader headband cushion. It doesn't rattle as much when you shake it, either. It is by no means "cheap plastic"; I've found that many other consumer headphones' plastic is worse than the Beats'.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #276 of 444

I've got a pair of Solo 2's that I use every day since I got them.The build quality is really good, despite the fragile appearance. I believe the frame is made of metal on the inside. These things can take a small amount of abuse. I've thrown them into my backpack and no scuffs here! Granted, I do take good care of my electronics, but these cans feel pretty solid. Do you have a Best Buy or Apple store or anything near you where you can see them in person? That would give you the best judgement.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #277 of 444
Yeah, I'm going to test them out at my local Apple store. I just needed some counseling since I'm not the best judge of durability. That's why I needed the opinion of somebody who has owned them for some time. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to give 'em a good listen.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #278 of 444
momentum is a built like a tank, but the sudden drop in the treble instead of a gradual roll off wasn't my thing. I'd put them behind all the cans I currently have tbh. After a side by side comparison of my friends solo2 and the urbanite when I auditioned them for a week, the solo2 won hands down for me. Smoother treble roll off and looks a LOT better. Build on the solo2 is pretty great by the way. Oh plus, I think the Logitech UE6000 is another great choice. They can be had for 80$. Fantastic bass texture and lots of impact. Great midrange. The treble isn't as recessed as the Urbanites. About the same amount of isolation, and is a heck of a lot more comfortable. EDIT: Also pretty durable. Just adding more options... :D but yeah I suggest solo2 hands down over the urbanite.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #279 of 444
Thanks for the heads up. I'll most likely be picking up the Solos. By the way, the lowest price I can find the UE6000 here (Norway) is $260, so I doubt it will be worthwhile, considering that you placed them at the $80 mark.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #280 of 444
Thanks for the heads up. I'll most likely be picking up the Solos. By the way, the lowest price I can find the UE6000 here (Norway) is $260, so I doubt it will be worthwhile, considering that you placed them at the $80 mark.
umm... They came out for 200$ and dropped to 80$ after being discontinued.
They were well worth it. Imo, better than the solo2, but the solo2 is 60$ cheaper so go for it instead. Besides, for 260$ there's the thinksound on1 and a few other cans that are better than any of these imo.
EDIT: The OP of this thread is a beats fan boy, yet even he liked the thinksound on1 more. He said its one of the only cans that made him smile the moment he put them on.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #281 of 444
Wait not the OP. I meant cb3723.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #282 of 444
umm... They came out for 200$ and dropped to 80$ after being discontinued.
They were well worth it. Imo, better than the solo2, but the solo2 is 60$ cheaper so go for it instead. Besides, for 260$ there's the thinksound on1 and a few other cans that are better than any of these imo.
EDIT: The OP of this thread is a beats fan boy, yet even he liked the thinksound on1 more. He said its one of the only cans that made him smile the moment he put them on.

The UE6000 aren't as good as the Solo 2 IMO. I have the UE6000 and have extensively auditioned the Solo 2s and imo the Solo 2s are a better buy at any price. Granted I would still eq the Solo 2 bass down, but ergonomics and portability goes a long way. Lately I have been noticing a lot of smearing of freq with the UE6000. Just my 2 cents :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #283 of 444
The UE6000 aren't as good as the Solo 2 IMO. I have the UE6000 and have extensively auditioned the Solo 2s and imo the Solo 2s are a better buy at any price. Granted I would still eq the Solo 2 bass down, but ergonomics and portability goes a long way. Lately I have been noticing a lot of smearing of freq with the UE6000. Just my 2 cents :)
hey I didn't say it was perfect, but imo the mids are better than the Solo2's.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #284 of 444

I found the UE6000s to have a really weird fit. The earcups didn't quite sit properly against the ears.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #285 of 444

The UE6000 aren't bad by themselves of course, it still is quite capable in it's own regard. It used to be quite good at its price point but too many good contenders now :)

I found the UE6000s to have a really weird fit. The earcups didn't quite sit properly against the ears.

I agree, I had some issues with the fitting and the clamping force could be tighter as well, as I think it's the main cause of the fit and seal issue for me as I prefer a more snug fit. But it is a capable headphone nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back