Beats for Studio or something else?
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

funkatopia

New Head-Fier
:)After much bitching and moaning, I finally got some Beats headphones, but they're the middle Solo HD ones. I primarily need them for studio work and also for some DJ work I do.

I Need headphones that are going to give me the true sound and sound really good. But the biggest thing is hearing the actual instrumentation without any bass overload which is why I'm a bit concerned about these Beats. I'll sometimes mix a song and then get In the car and it sounds totally different. I need real, true audio.

I've heard that AKG's are good and some of the Sennheisers. Can someone suggest some good serious headphones that will also be good for DJ work around the $200 mark? I saw an article recently about some that were like $79 and amazing and even better than Beats.

Should I open these or get something else?

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm having a hard time believing this isn't flame-bait ("in the studio, I need real audio" ("the way Dre does, the way the artist intended") :rolleyes:), but assuming good-faith that it isn't, the Beats Solo are a dreadful choice for everything described. They sound like you're listening through a woofer run FR - it's just pathetic. I don't normally like to bash products based on "value" but honestly there's not a single redeeming quality about the Beats Solo. I would suggest literally anything else over them for what you're describing - the Koss KTX-Pro would be a good starting point for example.

That having been said, why are conventional studio monitors apparently out of the question? E.g. ATH-M50 (inb4 "but obob, you don't like the M50" - true, but for what they're meant to do, they do fine), MDR-V6, PRODJ100, etc I mean, if you need studio monitoring, get a studio monitor...

For DJ'ing, I'd say many of the studio monitors will also suffice. For much the same reasons.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 13
Sennheiser HD25 1 ii..best headphone monitoring and very much dj's use it..more a very good isolation and removable left..my opinion...and Dr beats are a **** headphone..

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Just for the curious, this has nothing to do with "trolling" or "flame bait".  I was simply looking for good suggestions on a decent pair of headphones. It looks like I've narrowed to down based on the very few suggestions here to three. But I looked at reviews and capabilities and saw;

Sennheiser hd25
ATH-M50's
or the Sony MDR V6 Monitor Series

The Sony's are the least expensive, but I'm having a hard time finding a bad review anywhere. The German Maestro's that were suggested (the 8.35 D's) were also highly, highly reviewed as well as "revered".  My only concern is the support for them (returns, warranties), if that's even a legitimate concern. Are there any stores that sell them in the states?

Or are there others you would suggest?

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Just for the curious, this has nothing to do with "trolling" or "flame bait".  I was simply looking for good suggestions on a decent pair of headphones. It looks like I've narrowed to down based on the very few suggestions here to three. But I looked at reviews and capabilities and saw;

Sennheiser hd25
ATH-M50's
or the Sony MDR V6 Monitor Series

The Sony's are the least expensive, but I'm having a hard time finding a bad review anywhere. The German Maestro's that were suggested (the 8.35 D's) were also highly, highly reviewed as well as "revered".  My only concern is the support for them (returns, warranties), if that's even a legitimate concern. Are there any stores that sell them in the states?

Or are there others you would suggest?

about support and all, There is a user Acix, who already reviewed them very nicely and detailed. If I am not mistaking, he purchased them in the states too, you should send a pm to him and learn how German Maestro manages support in the states. But I have to say, these things are indestructable. You might want to purchase ear pads (See Acix's review) but apart from them I don't think you will need further support. Basically they can survive armageddon day :) in youtube German Maestro has a channel, watch the videos at there. There is a dj guy explains about the headphones, how amazing and durable they are. Both for monitoring and djing, it is hard to beat German Maestro at its price level.

I highly suggest them, but it is all up to you of course. If you ask me, forget about the headphones everyone knows and talks about them. 8.35d's are the hidden hero in the story.

ps: sorry for the late reply, I have been working on my master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back