Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 31, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #181 of 621
LOL what a post yashu, but yeah I know the feeling. My cables are more expensive than the XB700, too! Hahha!

I also agree on a lot of your points, the XB700s certainly sound like a vintage Marantz, and hey hooking them up to a vintage Marantz is heaven!! They have so much power to give, enough juice for the XB700s to be happy with, and the sound is really powerful and detailed this way, all the while keeping that analogue warmth. It's a beautiful match.

The XB700 on tubes also sounds wonderful, as you mentioned. It's not as powerful as the Marantz but the smooth enveloping sound, even at low listening levels, is excellent. And despite being a basshead, I actually usually listen at low levels and it's here where you can see if a system has really good bass; like any headphone can boom you into hell if you raise the volume, the really good setups can surround you with bass bliss even at low listening volumes.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #182 of 621
Any of you with XB700 got experience with Ultrasone HFI-580? I think this may be the only contender which could possibly overtake a new fav place, it seems to have rather punchy but also quite deep bass, especially at 50Hz.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #183 of 621

Please try out Ultrasone HFI 580.  They are what you describe. They have bass impact that rivals the Monster Beats Studios and Sony XB700s but with out the bass encroaching on the mids and highs of the other two. XB700s have even more head shaking bass impact but it is far too much even for a bass head. The bass is sloppy and runs all over. The 580s have really tight, impactful, and high quantity bass, but still maintains decent mids and highs.

I am thinking of giving the Ultrasone HFI 580's a try. I got my XB700's in yesterday and started listening to BassHead by BassNector. It blew me away. The XB700's are great for this. I did feel that it was not as punchy as the Beats by Dr. Dre. Also I started listening to some rock and other genres and there just seemed to be way to much muddy bass. They did not seem to do great unless it was with techno, rap, etc...

I don't know if I can have my cake and eat it too but I want more punch, tighter base, more impact. But I want clarity as well when listening to rock or other genres that are not focesed on bass. Believe it or not the Beats were a bit more like what I am describing. I actualy think the beats are pretty good. The XB700's have way more bass and sounded much better when listening to techno, but they have less punch, impact. They also just don't seem to be as good for an all around set due to sounding way too muddy and unclear for non bass centric music.

I am looking for something though that is a much better value than the Beats. It sounds like the Ultrasone HFI 580's may fit the bill.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ultrasone HFI 580's and the XB700's?

I am tempted to just keep the XB700's and get the Ultrasone HFI 580's. I also just bought some KOSS PortaPros for $30 and love them. All three sets can be had for less than the Beats, now that's value!

I am defenetly returning the Beats though. They are just not worth the money. That said I do thing they sound great and get ragged on for all the wrong reasons. The price is the only down side if you ask me.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #184 of 621

Quote:

Please try out Ultrasone HFI 580.  They are what you describe. They have bass impact that rivals the Monster Beats Studios and Sony XB700s but with out the bass encroaching on the mids and highs of the other two. XB700s have even more head shaking bass impact but it is far too much even for a bass head. The bass is sloppy and runs all over. The 580s have really tight, impactful, and high quantity bass, but still maintains decent mids and highs.

[size=x-small]I am thinking of giving the Ultrasone HFI 580's a try. I got my XB700's in yesterday and started listening to BassHead by BassNector. It blew me away. The XB700's are great for this. I did feel that it was not as punchy as the Beats by Dr. Dre. Also I started listening to some rock and other genres and there just seemed to be way to much muddy bass. They did not seem to do great unless it was with techno, rap, etc...

I don't know if I can have my cake and eat it too but I want more punch, tighter base, more impact. But I want clarity as well when listening to rock or other genres that are not focused on bass. Believe it or not the Beats were a bit more like what I am describing. I actually think the beats are pretty good. The XB700's have way more bass and sounded much better when listening to techno, but they have less punch, impact. They also just don't seem to be as good for an all around set due to sounding way too muddy and unclear for non bass centric music.

I am looking for something though that is a much better value than the Beats. It sounds like the Ultrasone HFI 580's may fit the bill.

I am tempted to just keep the XB700's and get the Ultrasone HFI 580's. I also just bought some KOSS PortaPros for $30 and love them. All three sets can be had for less than the Beats, now that's value!

I am definitely returning the Beats though. They are just not worth the money. That said I do think they sound great and get ragged on for all the wrong reasons. The price is the only down side if you ask me.[/size]

[size=x-small]Does anyone here have any experience with the Ultrasone HFI 580's and the XB700's? Will they be what I am looking for?[/size]

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #185 of 621
I've said it many times, the Beats Studios are a good set of cans, they are just a little overpriced for my tastes. I am also not a fan of the battery requirement. Other than that, I loved it. I haven't heard the 580s yet and would really like to sometime.

As a basshead I didn't have any issues with the XB700 being too muddy for non-bassy genres. I listen to jazz and alternative just fine with it. Should do this on a nice amp though like the MP5 to tighten up the sound.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #186 of 621
Same, I was more impressed in non bass centric music with XB700 than with bass-centric taking into account what it costs. Pink - I don't believe you and Celine Dion - Aun existe amor are two tracks that just blew me away, the vocals and instruments sounds just perfect. Would be nice if it also had a tad more punch to the bass for my tastes but I did EQ 125Hz quite high on it and it gives me a rather big boost in punchy bass but had been better if it from start had been like that of XB500 IMO, always easier to EQ something out if it's too much than adding what it lacks.

XB500 have more punchy bass but overall sound quality a tad lower, not much though, it's like 80% of what XB700 is and main difference is highs are more non-existant on XB500 and needs serious EQing but won't sound perfect after EQing either but I found some music sounds good on it nonetheless while others sound maybe slightly worse. XB700 is still my fav between those two but I keep using both, gonna give the XB500 some 30hr burn in like XB700 have had to see if anything would change.

HFI-580 is like the plausible only option left for me worth checking out, I've already tested AKG K 518 DJ, Sennheiser HD 212 Pro, XB500 & XB700, ATH-M50, Beyer DT770 Pro/80 which all are bass monsters and I'm looking for headphones that have this quantity in bass (preferable slightly more than that of M50 tho). Denon D2000 would also be interesting if it had more closed nature, I need headphones that damp ambient noise at least a bit, XB500 & XB700 are on the barrier, it's not perfect but it's decent. I'm so satisfied with the Sony XBs so I'm not really in a hurry but it's always exciting to try out new headphones. :p I like the bass to have a bit of both, I don't want it to be only punchy nor only deep/soft and the full/realistic sounding mids & highs of XB700. What would be the perfect headphone for me would be XB700 but with XB500's bass. :p

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #187 of 621

Quote:
Wow, I just got the XB700. You guys weren't kidding when you said it had BASS.  The impact isn't hard hitting, it's very soft and full, almost massaging you. But it has significantly more bass than any other headgear I have ever had in my entire life. That includes the GS800XB, the DT770, the M50, and IEMs like the Turbines, Golds, IE8, Hippo Boom, you name it. These are the monster kings of bass. And they have far more bass than the Pro 900s if memory serves me correctly.

It has so much bass, that this is actually the first set of cans I had to EQ the bass out because it was too fatiguing! I am thinking the XB500 is the perfect mix for me.... but I am happy with these XB700s because it's always good to have that extra headroom. You can always take something out with EQ but it's not as effective to put something in.

But the great thing about the XB700 is that it isn't just a bass can. It's surprisingly very capable in the mids, and has really smooth beautiful highs, just the way I like them. The highs remind me a lot of the HD650 actually, and the mids have detail and clarity to them, far beyond what I was expecting.

Another surprise is the massive width of soundstage these have. I wasn't expecting it to have such a wide space. I need to listen more to check out the imaging and soundstaging but these far exceed my expectations and are a lot better than the M50, for instance. I can't believe you can actually buy these for about $50. They seem to be worth far more. I paid about $80 for them plus shipping (which was about $40) and I still think they're a steal at that price.

In fact... I think these cans will replace the HD650 in my lineup. They're that good.

Thank you !! I knew my ears weren't playing with me. They are THAT AMAZING right? Everyone should get one. Best bang for your buck, seriously.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #189 of 621
I'm going to mention UE Triple.fi 10, through a good amp. Through my phones01, the bass goes low, rock solid and lightning fast. Bass doesn't overwhelm the music but has masses if impact.

I find many "bass heavy" iems/cans to be slow and sloppy, not so the tf10 :)

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #190 of 621
OK guys I need your help. I am really starting to like my XB700's. A while back I posted and said that in non bass centric music the sound seemed muddy to me and unclear. I think I was just getting use to a totally new sound. Remember this is my first set of non crapple-earbuds minus some Dre Beats I had for a week, so I think my ears were going through some kind of shock as they heard what music is supposed to start sounding like.

I am finding these headphones to be great overall. I like the sound in all genres. Lots of bass, good mids and highs. The base is not as tight or impactfull as I would like but overall I like them.

My problem is that my wife is starting to complain that they are too loud. I stay up at night till around 1-3am she goes to bed around 10pm. We have a small house I would call it apartment sized. She swears she can hear me listening to music in the bedroom while I am in the kitchen. At first I thought she was full of crap but then she started telling me what song I was listening to!

I like these phones but I stay up late and do most of my listening during that time, also I want to take these with me on a flight I will be going on soon and I think I am going to be told to turn them off because they are too loud.

So my question is this; What other set should I try. I liked the sound of the XB700's but I need more isolation just as a courtesy to others. I like the bass though. I was thinking of trying m50s or hfi-580's as they are closed back but that may not mean much.

What do you all think.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #191 of 621
Out of the 2 headphones that you mentioned, I would have to recommend the M50. They seem to have a bit more bass, if that is what you are looking for. Here, take a look:

Besides, they are very well known around the internet for being excellent cans. Go take a peek over at HeadRoom, it's in their top 10 favorite! My vote goes to the M50.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #192 of 621
Wow, if she can hear them in another room, she has bionic ears. The XB700s don't leak out THAT much. Play them a little lower? Honestly, a pair of AD700s or K701s are inaudible enough to not be an issue in another room.

Quote:
OK guys I need your help. I am really starting to like my XB700's. A while back I posted and said that in non bass centric music the sound seemed muddy to me and unclear. I think I was just getting use to a totally new sound. Remember this is my first set of non crapple-earbuds minus some Dre Beats I had for a week, so I think my ears were going through some kind of shock as they heard what music is supposed to start sounding like.

I am finding these headphones to be great overall. I like the sound in all genres. Lots of bass, good mids and highs. The base is not as tight or impactfull as I would like but overall I like them.

My problem is that my wife is starting to complain that they are too loud. I stay up at night till around 1-3am she goes to bed around 10pm. We have a small house I would call it apartment sized. She swears she can hear me listening to music in the bedroom while I am in the kitchen. At first I thought she was full of crap but then she started telling me what song I was listening to!

I like these phones but I stay up late and do most of my listening during that time, also I want to take these with me on a flight I will be going on soon and I think I am going to be told to turn them off because they are too loud.

So my question is this; What other set should I try. I liked the sound of the XB700's but I need more isolation just as a courtesy to others. I like the bass though. I was thinking of trying m50s or hfi-580's as they are closed back but that may not mean much.

What do you all think.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #193 of 621
Yeah I need to have a friend put them on so I can see what it sounds like in the other room. She is one of those people who can stand outside of a house and tell you whether their TV is on or not. She says she can hear/feel that it is on whatever that means.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #194 of 621
^ Haha, I know exactly what she means. I can feel when the TV is on as well. You can slightly hear/feel a very high pitched frequency, even if the sound is all the way lowered.

Anyway...

Do a few tests with the XB700 like you mentioned, and test to see for yourself, how much they leak. And if you didn't want to buy new headphones, and you liked your XB700's enough, just turn the volume down a bit.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #195 of 621
Yeah, I know the exact same thing. Electronics have a really high frequency that some people can hear even if they're not close to it. But headphones? I dunno. You definitely have to test it out. She just HAS to have some amazing ears. If it bothers her, I'd say she's the one with problems, not you. In any case, I doubt 90% of headphones won't get to her. You'll have to turn it down, or get IEMs.

Quote:
^ Haha, I know exactly what she means. I can feel when the TV is on as well. You can slightly hear/feel a very high pitched frequency, even if the sound is all the way lowered.

Anyway...

Do a few tests with the XB700 like you mentioned, and test to see for yourself, how much they leak. And if you didn't want to buy new headphones, and you liked your XB700's enough, just turn the volume down a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back