Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Aug 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #211 of 621
You and your wife must have bionic ears, no make that Bionic Mk VIII Ears, my hearing is good but I can barely hear the leak in the same room a few meters away from these cans, much less in the next room.

You do seem to play really loud, though, 70% on iTunes is really loud for me. I usually only play at about 30-40% in iTunes unamped. Still, I just tried at your listening volume and it's still not audible outside the room.

I think someone suckered you into buying an XB700 but they actually swapped the drivers with loud speakers hahah.

Quote:

You guys are nuts. These things leak big, not as bad as the Beats but still a lot. I am just playing iTunes from my computer volume half to 70% depending on the song. I had my wife put them on and I went into the bedroom and it is just like she said. I can hear very clearly what song is playing. There is no way I will be able to take these on a plane. On a side note I did the same test with the KOSS PortaPros and they are not quite as loud but not quieter by much.

I can't see how you can claim that the XB700 headphones can't be heard in another room unless you listen at such low volumes that you would not ever need an amp anyway. Or you have such bad hearing in which case you should just sell your good headphones cause you cant hear worth a heck, lol.

Anyway I like them but I will have to use the Klipsch S2's for the flight as well as at night I think. I did order the M50's and the HFI-580's today so I will see how those work out when I get them.

There should be a spec for this, kind of like isolation but in reverse. Just because your phones isolate and you can't hear ambient noise does not mean that other can't hear your tunes with the same dampening as isolation. It would be a good spec I think. Say if you wanted headphones that you could use in a library or something.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #212 of 621
The leak is minimal on these. Are you sure you guys have an original Sony headphone and not the many fakes out there? The XB700 is known to have fakes.

And again, I've never met a headphone that leaked so badly that it could be heard in another room. Even open cans like Grado's don't leak that much. 

Quote:

To my ears the XB700 just doesn't have that deep impact like the Q40 and I find the subbass superior as well. I know part of this is because the XB700 starts to distort when the volume gets too high on my voyager and clip+ while the Q40 can still sound clean even with the volume almost all the way up causing it to really feel like having subwoofers on your ears.

D7000! Now that's an expensive headphone. How does it compare to the XB700?

I agree with the sound leakage of the XB700. I had to leave the living room and continue my listening outside in another room today so my family wouldn't have to listen to my music. There is no isolation whatsoever with these things imo and I can definitely see how it could be a problem if you didn't want to bug the people around you.

Regarding the D7000, here are my quick notes:

XB700 vs. D7000
This was a surprisingly matchup. It seems the XB700 has more bass than the D7000. The main diff in sound sig is a softer tone to the XB700 all around while the D7000 has a crisper feel to it. The mids on the D7000 are also a bit better and more forward, compared to the laidback mids of the XB700. The XB700 also has a wider soundstage.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #213 of 621
Wow. Comparing Denon D7000? Such a huge difference... The D7000s have sibilance at the highest of treble. The XB700 has the most distortion IMO but tries to hide it with humongous bass. The Sonys just has bass leaking all over. The D7000s still have leaky bass compared to Ultrasones, but far much more controlled than the Sonys.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #214 of 621

Quote:
The leak is minimal on these. Are you sure you guys have an original Sony headphone and not the many fakes out there? The XB700 is known to have fakes.

And again, I've never met a headphone that leaked so badly that it could be heard in another room. Even open cans like Grado's don't leak that much. 

Regarding the D7000, here are my quick notes:

XB700 vs. D7000
This was a surprisingly matchup. It seems the XB700 has more bass than the D7000. The main diff in sound sig is a softer tone to the XB700 all around while the D7000 has a crisper feel to it. The mids on the D7000 are also a bit better and more forward, compared to the laidback mids of the XB700. The XB700 also has a wider soundstage.

There is nothing physically odd on my XB700 and they sound great so I highly doubt they are fakes. I made sure not to buy them from Japan for $60 as I've read those are most likely fake.

As RPGWiZaRD mentioned; the sound leaks from the 3 bass-ports on each side. I listen to music quite loud and this obviously makes the leakage more pronounced. But unlike today I usually listen when I'm alone so this doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the quick notes comparing the XB700 and D7000. I'm really enjoying the wide soundstage on the XB700.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #215 of 621
I'm actually also enjoying these XB500 quite a lot after a bit burn-in, the mids and bass are more forward but it's got a bit smaller soundstage I think. The bass is for my tastes just the right amount between deep&soft / punchy, it's both, well if I'd have to be critical about it perhaps it's slightly too punchy. The lack of presence of the highs just makes them kinda sound more smoother which actually have a good affect for some songs. I'd describe the XB500 as a more "fun" version and XB700 more like a critical listening studio headphone. I have a hard time deciding which I like more but I don't think it's possible to say cuz in some regards I like XB500 better and in others XB700 depending what I listen to or do with them. I find the smaller pads to be slightly more comfy too.

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #217 of 621

Quote:

I doubt they are fakes. I bought them at walmart.com not that that means much. They have amazing bass! Shake your head crazy bass. I think If they were fake they would probably just be plain old head phones.

I am thinking of doing a video to show the leakage. I bet my camcorder can pick it up in the other room as well. Also a friend of mine has a decibel meter I am going to borrow and see If I can get any real numbers. I think his meter may be out of range though for what I want. We shall see.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #218 of 621
Well I also heard the music (barely) from the room next to mine and at normal volume around 60~65dB or so when I put them down on the table, so it's not only him & his wife when I just gave it a quick try. This was tested with XB500 tho as it was currently plugged in.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #219 of 621

Quote:
I realize that HFI-780's dont seem to have as much bass as the HFI-580's or XB's but how about sound quality and soundstage?

I dont know how to answer on soundstage dont know how to tell . 780 Sound quality is decent pleant of reviews to read out there / here.  It needs burn in time  as its a little harsh to start with I read that the ALO modded version is the nuts.  I'm pleased with my 780s and these are my Electronic musc cans but new XB700s are out bassing them at the mo allthough 780 bass is tight and controlled and can be EQ up to suit boom boom basshead tastes.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #220 of 621
Here are my my day one XB700 impressions so far

Looks wise they are huge but very comfy, like having two tractor tires made from marshmellow on your ears :)

Listing on my work rig a Fiio E7 with max bass EQ, the xb700 is bassey but not the blow your head off that I was expecting from other posts (allthough I could be hard to please). The bass is there dont get me worng but its a bit muddy so I think a little burn and reassesment is needed.  I added a little EQ for the highs as they sounded a little muffled but not fair to compair to my exisiting work cans the  HFI-780s which are pretty bright and deffo are not bass lacking cans by any stretch.

I will give some more impressions after a little play time with my other amps and comparisons with my other cans.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #221 of 621

Though I like Bass Boost 3 on the E7 for bright cans, it WILL muddy up headphones like the XB700. Why you would want more bass than what they provide by themselves is beyond me, but I'd suggest Bass Boost 1 at the most for headphones like the XB700. In any case, the highs are nowhere near in the muddy 'range' for me if you hear the XB700s as they come. BB3 alters the sound sig of all headphones I have tried on it, some for the better, some for the worse.
Quote:
Here are my my day one XB700 impressions so far

Looks wise they are huge but very comfy, like having two tractor tires made from marshmellow on your ears :)

Listing on my work rig a Fiio E7 with max bass EQ, the xb700 is bassey but not the blow your head off that I was expecting from other posts (allthough I could be hard to please). The bass is there dont get me worng but its a bit muddy so I think a little burn and reassesment is needed.  I added a little EQ for the highs as they sounded a little muffled but not fair to compair to my exisiting work cans the  HFI-780s which are pretty bright and deffo are not bass lacking cans by any stretch.

I will give some more impressions after a little play time with my other amps and comparisons with my other cans.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #222 of 621
Quote:

I am thinking of doing a video to show the leakage. I bet my camcorder can pick it up in the other room as well. Also a friend of mine has a decibel meter I am going to borrow and see If I can get any real numbers. I think his meter may be out of range though for what I want. We shall see.

You are listening at some very high volumes.  The do leak a bit, but not that much.  I may have to get out my SPL meter and conduct a few tests.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #223 of 621
My favorite thing about the XB700s is that the bass does not roll off at all.  Plenty of IEMs can manage this, due to the radically different design they use, but I am unaware of another full size 'phone with no bass roll off.  The HD800 and T1 have a very small bass roll off, and the LCD 2 might not have any at all, but I'm not sure.  Anyway, I think it's clear the you have to spend a lot more money to get a full size 'phone with similarly deep bass response.

This brings me to my next topic, the division between bassheads.  Some, like me, prefer the the low rumbling bass of explosions, seismic upheavals, and kick drums.  Others prefer the high to mid bass of the bass guitar, double bass, and snare drums.  I believe wind016 would fall into that category.  I am not part of that category, nor have I studied it, so I won't attempt to elaborate any further on what they look for in their preferred output transducers, but I do know what I look for, and by extension, have a good idea of what those with similar tastes look for.

I like my music to move me, both emotionally and physically, and treble doesn't do a good job of moving much of anything.  I think those last few octaves that are barley audible, yet can be felt, are essential to the musical experience.  I want almost everything to have lots bass.  If is any low frequency energy in the mix at all, I want it emphasized and brought to the front.  There's only so much of this that headphones are physically capable of, but for the next several years, until I can afford to buy a small house on a large piece of land, and blast my sub 'til my heat's content, I'll have to settle for headphones.

The XB700s are headphones for deep bassheads, not mid bassheads.  The deep bass of the XB700s de-emphasizes the mid bass, and its upper bass isn't boosted much at all, which is why I think mid bassheads like wind016 don't like it very much.  I think the low bass and sub bass that the XB700s put out is less defined than the upper and mid bass, because it is inherently less defined at the source, the instrument itself.

That's my hypothesis anyway.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #224 of 621
Very, very good explanation. And the thing is, 'deep bass' is exactly what I'm looking for.

XB700's seem to do that best, with the XB500's appealing more for mid-range bass. Although, the XB500's still do low bass pretty well.

Hmm, I still may have to get me a pair one of these days. It sounds like everything I need in a headphone.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #225 of 621
Yep it's exactly like maverickronin explains, I have both XB500 and XB700 and I can relate to what he said. From a bassheads point of view I was first unimpressed by the bass impact XB700 because it's not really that big compared to some other bassy headphones and this is due to lack of 100Hz - 500Hz emphasize like is significantly strengthened on XB500. Most music doesn't even use bass notes in the area that XB700 shines in, the sub ~70Hz or so area, if you try listening to some hardstyle you will definitely get some nice earshaking bass out of XB700 though. ^^ Even many trance/techno/club etc songs have bass that even goes 100Hz or above, this is why some bassheads that prefers midbass hump (typically 100~120Hz where most headphones focus the bass on because to our ears it will sound/feel like it has the biggest impact) might get unimpressed. In short, don't buy XB700 if you like tight, punchy bass with big impact because what XB700 has is mostly "rumbling" low subbass that is softer. XB700 is closest sounding to a subwoofer in a typical 5.1 speaker set that you find but ofc the quantity due to the small 50mm driver and lack of box for it will be far less but very impressive still for a headphone. If you like bass with lots of quantity, impact and punch to it, go for XB500 rather cuz it's by far the bassiest that has both deep (not quite as emphasized as XB700 but close) and so punchy it can vibrate your ears with only a small bass boost. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back