Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #166 of 621
Ordered the 700s today due to this thread and I think the HFI-780s where not quite bassy enough :) for my Drum and Bass tastes and newly emerging Dubstep interest
dt880smile.png

I have a matrix m-stage amp on the way so I will give a 3 way test between my cans HD650, HFI-780 and the XB700.

Call me Indiana Sones...  as I'm about to enter the Temple of Boom

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #167 of 621
After I've found the optimal EQ profile and some burn in it seems the mids in the XB500 have opened up so the difference between XB500 and XB700 is now very small, there's still some difference in the highs but if you raise the highs a bit more on the EQ you get very close to XB700 sound altough the quality of them is slightly worse, not much, it seems burn-in actually helps. The sound will always remind more spacious more towards open cans sound with XB700 though.

I'm not sure which of them I like more atm, the both have their advantages and disadvantages. They are both damn good for the price though, the XB500 I paid 39 EUR for and XB700 66,60 EUR for and as I reminder I've tried both ATH-M50 (140 EUR) and Beyer DT770 Pro/80 (145 EUR) but sold those and they blow Sennheiser HD 212 Pro (43 EUR) and AKG K 518 DJ (49 EUR) out of water like there's no comparision at all.

I've never used or tried Sony headphones before but I have to say they definitely have made something exceptional with the Xtra Bass series, the price/performance ratio is outstanding.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #168 of 621

Quote:
Hey MLE! Nice to see you again, I finally got an XB700 and I just absolutely LOVE it. They just might become my favorite headphones ever, period, as well. I was seriously thinking of selling my HD650 because these sort of take their place. While the HD650 still does quite a few things better, the XB700 isn't that far off and its bass is much more to my preference than the HD650's. Crazy how an $80 headphone can give a $400 one a run for its money.

I'm just happy that I have no issues with the pads on my ears. 

That is wonderful to hear, Mochan. You an I do seem to have very similar preferences indeed, lol. And I agree about the E5 + XB700, but to those that just want to get punched in the face with bass, the E5 will fill that need, at the expense of the greatness that the XB700 does in everything else.

I'm so happy to see them getting all this love on Head-fi nevertheless. I always said they were awesome. <3

Mochan, I wonder what Bass Boost 3 on the E7 would do to the XB700?
ph34r.gif
I know what it does to the M50, and ES7 which are pretty good at sub bass. There's no way the XB700 can't satiate a basshead's hunger in some way or form, whether bass boosting EQ, or a bass boosting amp like the E5/E7, or just simply leaving them as is. The XB700 is the ONLY headphone I have used where I felt they needed NOTHING to wow me. The first time I used them, my jaw dropped. No other headphone, with the exception of the K701 and AD700 (while gaming) have wowed me initially. K701 because of their soundstage and clarity, and AD700 because of their soundstage. XB700 because of how awesome they sound with music, and give me that in the club bass, but with unusual clarity in everything else.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #169 of 621
Quote:
After I've found the optimal EQ profile and some burn in it seems the mids in the XB500 have opened up so the difference between XB500 and XB700 is now very small, there's still some difference in the highs but if you raise the highs a bit more on the EQ you get very close to XB700 sound altough the quality of them is slightly worse, not much, it seems burn-in actually helps. The sound will always remind more spacious more towards open cans sound with XB700 though.

First off, thanks for the review you gave a page back. It was spot on with what I was predicting about the differences between these two phones.

Hmm, now I'm confused. If you can get, say 90% of the same sound withe XB500's with a bit of EQ, then maybe I shouldn't drop $80 for the XB700. Not that I lost confidence in them, as much has been gained, but because of the XB500 I already have, that sounds very similar. Better mids and highs really intrigues me though, as well as deeper subterranean bass. I'm also a bit curious on comfort. The XB700's seem more comfortable due to a more spacious ear cup design, as well as 'bigger' pads. But, I'm just not sure. I want to get them, but I may already have a close enough sound. Hmmm.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #170 of 621
Buy an equalizer!!! slide the 32 and 64 hertz all the way up and voila, your headphone will turn into a subwoofer. note that you might need a rca to female 1/8 and rca to 1/8 male adapter.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #171 of 621
Quote:
I was seriously thinking of selling my HD650 because these sort of take their place. While the HD650 still does quite a few things better, the XB700 isn't that far off and its bass is much more to my preference than the HD650's. Crazy how an $80 headphone can give a $400 one a run for its money.

I like the XB700s a lot too, but they aren't gonna replace my HD650s.  They do everything but the bass better, and I can always cheat by EQing the HD650s.  My EQ curve on the 650s is something like -3, 0, -3, -9, -12 x 8, and then crank my Maverick D1 to like 3 o'clock to get some decent volume.

I'm still gonna be holding on to my XB700s since it's nice to have a set of closed 'phones, and because I can't easily EQ every source I listen to.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #172 of 621
Interesting, I always thought the XB700 would be bassier, I guess it follows the convention of the lower model having the mid-bassier sound compared to the more "hi-fi" XB700 top of the line model.

Katun mentioned to me that the XB500 had a very punchy bass, and I replied saying the XB700's bass isn't exactly what I would call "punchy" more like deep and enveloping. Anyway these are very interesting results and I'm surprised that the XB500 works better for positional 3D than the XB700. 

Quote:
OK so I finally got the XB500 today.

Wow these are definitely bassier overall than the XB700 thanks to the bigger emphasize at 100~150Hz range. At same EQ setting as for XB700 they will pound my ears even in not so bassy songs and in bassheavy songs it's like earthquake for my head, similar experience being in a car with a proper 12 or 15" sub setup that makes it hard to breathe as the sub is pushing so much air. At my Sennheiser HD 212 Pro EQ profile it's still a bit too bassy, so this is my bassiest headphone ever I've tried, beating both Sennheiser HD 212 Pro and AKG K 518 DJ in both bass quantity & impact (XB700 has more deeper bass but less impact as those 2 due to not so much focus in 100Hz+ range). Lowering the bass a bit from there and it becomes quite suitable though. The bass of XB500 drowns the mids a lot more than that of XB700, probably due to the 100 - 500Hz emphasize.

However especially highs seems to be lacking a lot compared to the XB700, I've never had to boost the highs this much on any headphone to get a decent sound and what you hear then is rather typical $50 sounding highs. Also mids needs a decent boost but not as much as the highs, the EQ profile for these headphones are the closest to a V-shape I've ever had while XB700's EQ curve is the flattest I've used so far. The mids actually sound somewhat similar as XB700 but still not as great, they lack that extra touch of fine detail that makes the vocals sound alive like on a concert type of thing. The highs are just non-existant unless EQing. Soundstage also seems to be a bit worse, the XB700 definitely sounds a lot more "spacious".

I'll try and listen a bit more. Despite I like bass I wouldn't even concider transfering it for the wonderful sound quality of the XB700 is my initial impression.

EDIT: The bass is really insanely strong on these XB500, it vibrates my ears more than anything else, it's like having 2 subs to your ears listening to hardstyle. But then at the very deepest bass notes in the songs at around 40 ~ 60Hz feels stronger on the XB700 but 90 ~ 120Hz bass notes are sooooooo much stronger on the XB500 and probably stronger than on any other headphone.

Also it suprises me the XB500 seems to work rather well with gaming, I think it might even have more clear 3d positional sound, it's very very clear from what directions the sounds comes from.

Also they work suprisingly well for electronica, but with pop, ballads, jazz etc. you definitely miss the quality of the mids and highs with XB700.

For the 39 EUR I paid for these they are definitely good for the price after some quite drastic EQing though. I thought these would end up for sale but now I'm not so sure, it's the great 3d positional sound and bigger bass impact that's a positive suprise for me plus that the XB500 are far lighter and suitable size for my preferences.

To summarize pros and cons between XB500 and XB700 (from my personal taste):

XB500:

pros:

- Bigger bass impact due to punchier bass
- Better 3D positional sound (especially behind/front directions)
- Smaller and lighter => more comfortable

cons:

- Mids slightly lack that fine detail
- Highs are very recessed, needs serious EQing

XB700:

pros:

- Deeper bass that adds this effect that suits great for adding more drama to movies
- Closest you get to real subwoofer type of bass
- Superior mids and highs

cons:

- Somewhat difficult to distinguish directions behind/front in games
- A bit on the heavier side at 294grams.
- May lack some punchy bass under some circumstances

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #173 of 621

Yeah, the XB700 deserves love, I think the reason they aren't loved more is because they are so CHEAP, I've noticed Head-Fi tends to have a stigma against cheap headphones. Sometimes something exceptional comes along that shrugs this stigma off like the uDAC, RE0 or Hippo VB but generally I find Head-Fi is more "expensive gear friendly".

I mean I can understand not liking it because it isn't exactly "audiophile sound" because of the heavy bass but that also applies to the VB and most of the Ultrasones and Denons. But the XB700 had this rep of being an uber fart cannon with nothign but bellowing bass, and I find that this couldn't be further from the truth. The mids and highs on these are surprisingly good and clear, I can't get over it. I mean, I picked these up expecting a fart cannon and got far, far more.

I don't have my E7 right now, but will get it back on Sunday. I loaned it out to a friend "for science." I'll test the XB700 out with its BBL3 soon enough.  But I agree with you, I'm pretty happy with how the XB700 sounds "as is."  I can plug it in to any source as is and be very happy with it.

I find its' best though out of a big amp like my integrated Marantz 1090, and it also does quite well on the MP5. I would like to test these out on a really nice tube amp though maybe the LD MkIII or MkIV.

Quote:

That is wonderful to hear, Mochan. You an I do seem to have very similar preferences indeed, lol. And I agree about the E5 + XB700, but to those that just want to get punched in the face with bass, the E5 will fill that need, at the expense of the greatness that the XB700 does in everything else.

I'm so happy to see them getting all this love on Head-fi nevertheless. I always said they were awesome. <3

Mochan, I wonder what Bass Boost 3 on the E7 would do to the XB700?
ph34r.gif
I know what it does to the M50, and ES7 which are pretty good at sub bass. There's no way the XB700 can't satiate a basshead's hunger in some way or form, whether bass boosting EQ, or a bass boosting amp like the E5/E7, or just simply leaving them as is. The XB700 is the ONLY headphone I have used where I felt they needed NOTHING to wow me. The first time I used them, my jaw dropped. No other headphone, with the exception of the K701 and AD700 (while gaming) have wowed me initially. K701 because of their soundstage and clarity, and AD700 because of their soundstage. XB700 because of how awesome they sound with music, and give me that in the club bass, but with unusual clarity in everything else.

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #174 of 621
Yeah, I pretty much came to the same conclusion that the HD650 is still the better can overall.

But I found that, even EQing the HD650 I can't get its bass to have the same quality as the XB700's, especially for the sub bass. I think this is the limit of open cans. I can never get it to have that "Wall of Bass" or "Floor of Bass" if you will that cans like the XB700, Pro 900 or even the Beats Studios can deliver.

Quote:
Quote:

I like the XB700s a lot too, but they aren't gonna replace my HD650s.  They do everything but the bass better, and I can always cheat by EQing the HD650s.  My EQ curve on the 650s is something like -3, 0, -3, -9, -12 x 8, and then crank my Maverick D1 to like 3 o'clock to get some decent volume.

I'm still gonna be holding on to my XB700s since it's nice to have a set of closed 'phones, and because I can't easily EQ every source I listen to.

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #175 of 621
Jul 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #176 of 621
Quote:
Katun mentioned to me that the XB500 had a very punchy bass, and I replied saying the XB700's bass isn't exactly what I would call "punchy" more like deep and enveloping. Anyway these are very interesting results and I'm surprised that the XB500 works better for positional 3D than the XB700.

Well, let me put it this way. It does have the 'deep and enveloping' totality like you claim the XB700's have, but also has quite the 'punch' if you know what I mean. My EQ for these headphones boosts the mids, while leaving the bass at 0. This makes the mids come back to balance with the bass rather than bass slightly overpowering everything else. This in turn, creates almost a more punchy, yet deep bass, as the mids finally rise up from the ashes. Turning the bass down on the EQ, results in a supreme 'punchy' bass, and not as 'deep and enveloping' as it usually is. So really, this headphone can present the bass in many different ways, all depending on what you set the EQ as. Bottom line, it does have nice deep bass, that kind of has a 'slam' to it, or 'punch' if you will.

As you can see in this picture, the XB500's bass covers the mids much more than the XB700's do. So, XB500's do have 'more' bass, but XB700 have a bit more 'subterranean' bass.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #177 of 621
I'm totally going to compare the XB700 to the Q40 tomorrow. Have a friend who's bringing one along, so I'm gonna be doing some heavy ABing between these two bass behemoths.

Quote:
X1!Amazing bass impact.And overall excellent sound quality.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #178 of 621
yeah, that sounds a lot like what RPG Wizard was talking about. I think I understand what you mean here, the main diff is the amount of midbass each has, because the XB700 has less midbass it allows the mids and highs to come out better without any special EQing. 

I'm a bit surprised at this turn of events, there's a guy on this forum, his avatar is black and white and colored -- looks like vampires one is gray one is colored -- and he claims he prefers the XB500 over the XB700 because the XB500 has more a balanced sound and lets the mids and highs come out better.

It seems for one reason or another his impressions are not the same with what we're seeing in this thread and from the headroom graph. Regardless I'm happy I got the XB700, it has what I want and responds really well to EQing in case I need it to sound different.

The lack of midbass on the XB700 also means the sub bass gets emphasized more which really gives it a much more "enveloping" quality than you would get on something with more midbass emphasis. Well it's all a very interesting piece of audio perspectives here. I would really love to hear the XB500 some day.

Quote:
Well, let me put it this way. It does have the 'deep and enveloping' totality like you claim the XB700's have, but also has quite the 'punch' if you know what I mean. My EQ for these headphones boosts the mids, while leaving the bass at 0. This makes the mids come back to balance with the bass rather than bass slightly overpowering everything else. This in turn, creates almost a more punchy, yet deep bass, as the mids finally rise up from the ashes. Turning the bass down on the EQ, results in a supreme 'punchy' bass, and not as 'deep and enveloping' as it usually is. So really, this headphone can present the bass in many different ways, all depending on what you set the EQ as. Bottom line, it does have nice deep bass, that kind of has a 'slam' to it, or 'punch' if you will.

As you can see in this picture, the XB500's bass covers the mids much more than the XB700's do. So, XB500's do have 'more' bass, but XB700 have a bit more 'subterranean' bass.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #179 of 621
I would just try the XB500 to withness its monster quantity of bass and it's cheap ($50) . I barely need to boost the bass with these. ^^ I know you would prefer XB700 over XB500 but I find the clearer 3D positional sound to better for games so I'm probably gonna use it sometimes. I tried it also with the virtual haircut and other working surround test videos on youtube and I did think the positional sound sounded a bit better on XB500. It was no trouble locating the directions with XB700 either but it somehow felt more realistic with XB500. I've noticed before I got XB500 that 3D sound positioning was good but not perfect on XB700 (left and right is ok ofc but directions like behind and front especially and perhaps a bit up and down as well), like if my old Sennheiser HD 212 Pro might even handle it slightly clearer. XB500 seems to handle it the same way HD 212 Pro did, both are 40mm drivers, perhaps 50mm drivers are too big for good 3D positional sound or it's because of the big airchannel in the pads?

I also read about that guy here who prefered XB500, the mids definitely don't come out as good thanks to the added 100 -  500Hz emphasize but XB500 have lots of EQ potential, tweak 120 - 500Hz range a bit lower than you would find suitable for XB700, raise 1kHz to 4kHz a bit higher than u would with XB700 and raise 8 - 16KHz the highest, then you get quite close to the XB700 sound but the quality of highs is most revealing difference, mids sounds nearly/pretty much the same. If you look at the frequency response graph this is no suprise, the mids of XB500 follows the same shape as XB700, it's just a bit more silent (just EQ it a bit higher, for me it's +1.2, +2 and +1.7 respectively boost for 1 - 4kHz for XB500 over XB700) but if you look at near the right edge you'll notice a more distinct difference in the curve for the highs. I boosted 8 and 16kHz by +1.5 and +2.3 higher on XB500 what I did on XB700. For the whole range it looks something like this (not actual values but XB500 values compared to XB700): -3, -4.8, -5.6, -2.5, -0.7, +1.2, +2, +1.7, +1.5, + 2.3 and they sound as similar as possible but the XB500 still has punchier bass than that of XB700 but quantity is about the same, perhaps XB500 is slighly bassier still.

But really the XB500 has more potential to as an ear-vibrator than anything else the bass is both super punchy and boomy. :p I'm not lying when I'm saying I already felt air wanting to escape through between the pads and outer ear giving this ear-tickling effect. XB700 while also having big bass, always feels rather gentle to my ears.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #180 of 621

I missed a LOT!!!

To the question of an amp. I have a Sansa Fuse, I have a bunch of mid-fi headhone ports on some various production equipment, headphone pres... I have a $1200 Grace reference headphone amp.

Now, I have owned my xb700s for a little while now and have had them plugged into a bunch of stuff, from low to high end, lets put it that way. I can get 90% of the satisfaction I get from plugging them into the Grace (this can drive k1000s without a strain, so power is no NO concern :D ), which BTW, the positional issues DO get better when you allow them all the power thety could ever want, but more on that, than plugging them into my 0202 USB, or the cakewalk pro, really any interface or mixamp, because my Mackie has a fair amount of power, but it isn't meant for ultra fidelitity, as much as it is meant to be a reliable monitor port. The BASS is there, probably almost all of it, from lower power sources to the highest. The difference lies in the upper octaves. The Sansa will rock your ears off with a good bassline, but I don't quite get holographic imaging, but the sound I do get is probably the most VAST of any full sized headphone I have ever had the pleasure of placing around my ears. The average interface, and the E-MU 0202 is actually a fairly good DAC for the money, as well, a nice headphone port, it uses ALPS pots, and it drives most cans reasonably enough for me to make a great little compact headphone "system" for use at work, or since it is USB powered, you can use it anywhere really, but I will occasioanlly bring higher end stuff to the office, but always end up going back to the one box solution of the 0202. Many headphones begin to sound very nice on this headphone out, although used as a dac into a nice amp will take it to the next level, but straight out the 0202, many begin to show their pros, a phone with great headstaging will start to generate holographic instruments, cans that are more accurate when it comes to tone and timbre, they will offer up quite an accurate and detailed sound, and the XBs begin to become more than the loudest ful sized phone without an amp. 

They bring to the table the lush midrange that you can just get lost in, and HF that is so well done, I seriosuly with more headphones would naturally roll off their HF as there is just no fatigue. Quite like an open sennheiser, the HF band is, indeed, very natural, it won't shread your ears, but it isn't a secret that if you own an sacd player (which, is a sony product that really is a disgrace... without opening the format to anyone, it is going to remain on the shelves next to laserdisc players, never embraced fully, but good tech held back by bonehead corporate decisions), or maybe a nice vinyl setup, that ultra expensive MC cart and tubed prono pre won't net you all those micro-details that other full sized headphones will give you. I *like* the sennheiser house sound because I like a headphone that is not fatguing. The xb700 has a high freq. band that is on the warm side, and not fatiging at all. I have said this before and I have seen someone else write it, that the XB700s will offer up midrange and HF similar to that of a good warm 60s/70's vintage reciever... Marantz, Yamaha, Sasui, Pioneer, and a set of fondly remembered full range speakers, Advents, Infinity, Boston, JBL, and so forth. I would go as far as saying if we are going to talk 60s/70's warmth, I would say they are more of a west coast sound, rather than east coast recordings. They are going to be fun, provide exactly what you buy them for, the deep, accurate, huge bass, that isn't flabby, muddy, or so overpowering that the rest of the audio spectrum is just lost... on most people's setups they are going to sound great. They are sensitive to the point of providing the volume that an IEM can give you at a similar setting, and unless you just have a terrible source, the midrange is going to sound better than double their price, easily. They hold their own against some far more expensive headphones, trust me. If you are happy with the HD650, and have the blood of a basshead flowing through your veins, these will put a smile on your face.

One thing that I have noticed, and I think is just not talked about because it's not being done very often, is that the XB700s DO benefit from a very serious audiophile amp. I am not going to say they are going to best the HD650, unless we are talking under the midbass range, but, on my Grace, the positioning is there. The one thing a bit lacking on the xb700s, that huge headstage that other headphones can give, begins to grow when you plug them into a *serious* amp. My guess is to make sure the bass does not get muddy, or flabby, the drivers are designed for excusion, air movement, then using skilled engineering, this design allows for the lush midrange, and to make sure to maintain a level of comfort that makes them unique among other "bassy" headphones, the HF roll off rather naturally. With enough power, the driver can increase the detail threshhold to a level where they actually do provide a suprisingly nice, positional sound, where instruments and sounds can be "beyond the head", and like much more expensive headphones, they can make you wonder if the sound you just heard was in the recording or in the room.

I just don't think audiophiles are buying these and plugging them into amps $1k or more and serious DACs (MHDT Tubed DAC w/ WE396A NOS tube, currently, into the Grace), GOOD transports, such as a quality interface into a monarchy audio DIP, so you are assured a *precise* clock, because as is occasionall said in Stereophile "it feels weird" to hook something inexpensive into something you have poured so much time and money into. My *cables* cost more than the XB700s! Not that much more because I am no audiophool, but still, it is a perfect example of what Sony has on their hands here and how unique it is. I know no other headphone that can go as low as the xb700 can, with such weight, accuracy, hell, even headphones that have a ton of bass that's flabby can't get this low. The midrange is a warm gift, and the HF band rolls with your system. I mean unlike many different headphones expensive and non, you get a consistant level of natural confort in the upper octaves, when going from lo-fi, to mid-fi, to hi0fi systems, what you get is just *more* of the good stuff as you raise the bar on the rest of the system. You don't suddenly have a horrible sounding can when you go from a multi-thousand dollar system to a nice portable player. *that* is what I love about them, and that is why they go everywhere my Sansa goes. I take my sansa to work, then I just use the e-mu 0202 and enjoy hardstyle, psy, and good russian minimal, indeed, dub, and dubstep as well, but russian minimal done up dub style like with "Rhythm&Sound", it's all good. "Yagya-the hythm of Snow", This album is just made for these phones.

I can rock out to Russian Circles on my Sansa and never hear an ear slicing note, making them a lot of fun on the streets, and then at home, if I am in the mood, out pops the Grados, or the Audio Technicas, the Beyers, nd in come the XB700s, and I know I am not going to be let down when I throw on a heavily layered and textured psytrance record, or something like Zoe Keating's solo cello work, all sound with the xb700s, way more than the phones cost on my reference system. The positioning that is missing on my DAP is there along side the bass that is has always been there, and it is just a punchy, with maybe a slight difference simply because a good kick or snare hit on a jass record is not all tail, you need a supporting midrange and HF band to get that attack just right. Hardstyle and EBM gives me far closer to the "square wave" on my Grace, but I don't feel like I am losing all that much when I am just sitting at work. The throbbing cavety of air is merely changed a bit in a non-destrucive way. So yes, on a reference system, they hold up and give sound worth far more than their price. They aren't Senn HD650s no, but they aren't supposed to be, were never meant to be, and when I want to get on the streets, why would i grab HD650s! They were designed for serious listening in a controlled environment, almost the diametric opposite of the xb700s. I would not sell my XB700s, and I have no plans to change my desire to continue to use Beyer, Senn, and Grados on my hifi system. What I want is A company known for offerig up holographic presentation to put work into taking the bottom end out as flat as they try get the HF band. To me, on most systems, these ultra expensive headphones end up being fatiguing, but not so with the xb700s, you may get a set of sweaty ears, but the warm and lush upper end is just as emportant as that endless bottom end.

Beyer DT880s are phones that give me a similar level of enjoyment, but you need some good equipment to get there, even the e-mu 0202 doesn't have what it takes to bring out their best. I think the only high end headphone that can claim to give the xb700s a run for bottom end thrust would be the better Denon sets, even then, with the d2000, you certainly, have to dampen things to tighten it up, but on a tubed system, when I run the XBs straight off the tubed output of a tubed preamp, using an adapter, low listenening levels sound huge, deep, full, and fun. There is very little on the XB700s to mod because they have been well engineered to cut resonant surfaces down to a minimum, using the ear pads as part of the structure, this is why I try to solve the issue with the pads to keep them sticking out like fresh new pads, they are screwed down and held by a retention ring, they are meant to stay on, period. You don't just slide them off like with almost every other can. The aluminum brushed headband is minimal and since the phones are dual entry, the band is light, but it isn't like bose and ready to snap if you breathe too hard. The comparison I made to the v700DJ phones is apt, but with one instance, this band is going to last a long time, and it won't crack up and break. The v700 is a DJ favorite because it isn't that much and can be had at best buy, so it is available everywhere, but it falls apart after not much use. The AT m50s are a better DJ headphone, but if you need something in a punch, you can't just hit up a super wallmart and walk out with phones that will work well when you are ready for a set. The v500s are similar, just a smaller v700, not as much impact, but they offer a similar auditory response, enough to make them a more "mobile v700", and hense it is no suprise that the XB500 is being tested with sufficient results here in the thread, and whle I feel the xb700s are the mobile masters, I would be curious to hear them side by side with the xb500s when running straight off my DAP and e-mu 0202. Perhaps, it takes a bit less effort to rid that "in the head" feeling. Again, these are very minor things, because a lossless track can still produce a holographic set of sound on a portable with the 700s, and the warm nice midrange isn't going to suddenly breakup when on a smaller portable, it's just that in the order of things that back off as you ratched down the power reserve, the bass the 700s are known for is the very last thing to go, generally, and with most phones, thinning is from both top and bottom towards the middle, where here it is top down, but without replacing lost extension with fatiguing crap.

I don't think the pads are a "problem" i just prefer them when they are holding the drivers off my ears as they did when I bought them, and perhaps the 500's pads, being slightly smaller, is more resistant to this. The 700's pads have the circumferance of a CD. They are wide enough so that they naturally will have to conform to the radious of your skull to keep a seal. My ears are not huge, so they may still fit within the inner space of the 500s, which may not need to undergo such a change of shape to maintain their seal. If the v500DJ analogy is, indeed, as true as it seems, then the 500s aren't ging to be bad, just a bit more portable and the loss of what would be lost going from a 50m driver to a 40mm driver, but still keeping a very imilar sound signature. Sennheisers are like this, the sound signature of a stock hd555 is not all that different than that of the hd650, but the 650 is just "better" all around, but not apples and oranges. If this was not true, you could not mod the hell out of the 555s and get something very close to an HD600, and, in fact, the 595 probably could have easily engineered to sound 99% to that of the HD600, but then why pay extra for an HD600, or to use an older example, the HD580 wasn't going to be outdone by the 555! New flagship meant the 595 could hit the market. I am not one to consider single entry something that makes a significant difference as long as it is well engineered. Sennheiser, they have had a history of keeping single entry phones on the 2nd tier.

Smaller is not always worse, or better. Just looking at the graph, the XB500s are obviously designed around the smaller driver, not just a proportional change in size with the 50mm to 40mm driver change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back