Bass IMPACT!!!!!! Thats all I ever asked for in life :(
Jul 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #136 of 621
Well ATH-M50 I sold mostly cuz it didn't have enough bass quantity & impact like I was looking for, it's significantly less than these XB headphones. I'd describe it as gently boosted but controlled midbass focused somewhere in the 70 ~ 110Hz range and it doesn't hit the very deep notes that much nor have any significant upper bass, just extended midbass that doesn't have much impact either but doesn't drown the rest of the frequencies anything at all either. So it's perfect for those who enjoy bass but want the cleanest possible overall sound listening experience. I remember the highs were very sharp like almost too much for my liking and could perhaps cause ear fatigue if I'd boost the highs at least a little which I usually do to counter the boost in lows and they were very well present, probably more so than XB700 (but then I don't get anywhere close to ear fatigue of XB700 apart from the bass then perhaps if playing some hardstyle songs :p) has but then again I feel mids really stands out well on XB700 and sounds what I can remember at least as good. I also like how M50 shut off ambient noise almost perfectly, with XB700 I'd say it's a bit below average for a closed headphone.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #137 of 621
Wow, I just got the XB700. You guys weren't kidding when you said it had BASS.  The impact isn't hard hitting, it's very soft and full, almost massaging you. But it has significantly more bass than any other headgear I have ever had in my entire life. That includes the GS800XB, the DT770, the M50, and IEMs like the Turbines, Golds, IE8, Hippo Boom, you name it. These are the monster kings of bass. And they have far more bass than the Pro 900s if memory serves me correctly.

It has so much bass, that this is actually the first set of cans I had to EQ the bass out because it was too fatiguing! I am thinking the XB500 is the perfect mix for me.... but I am happy with these XB700s because it's always good to have that extra headroom. You can always take something out with EQ but it's not as effective to put something in.

But the great thing about the XB700 is that it isn't just a bass can. It's surprisingly very capable in the mids, and has really smooth beautiful highs, just the way I like them. The highs remind me a lot of the HD650 actually, and the mids have detail and clarity to them, far beyond what I was expecting.

Another surprise is the massive width of soundstage these have. I wasn't expecting it to have such a wide space. I need to listen more to check out the imaging and soundstaging but these far exceed my expectations and are a lot better than the M50, for instance. I can't believe you can actually buy these for about $50. They seem to be worth far more. I paid about $80 for them plus shipping (which was about $40) and I still think they're a steal at that price.

In fact... I think these cans will replace the HD650 in my lineup. They're that good.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #138 of 621
Excellent. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm definitely getting these over the M50.

Even more bass that the XB500? I cannot even imagine... You are getting me too excited.

Just for fun, you have to EQ in favor of the headphone. In other words, crank that first band on your EQ all the way up to the top. Yes, I just told you to increase the bass on an 'Xtra Bass' headphone. Just try it, just so you can see the capabilities of this series. I set first band of my iAudio 7 to '12' and my Machbass to '10' on my XB500, just for fun. And let me tell you. The bass blew me away.

Thanks again for that review. That helped a whole bunch. And I'm glad you dethroned your HD650's!

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #139 of 621
Quote:
Excellent. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm definitely getting these over the M50.

Even more bass that the XB500? I cannot even imagine... You are getting me too excited.

Just for fun, you have to EQ in favor of the headphone. In other words, crank that first band on your EQ all the way up to the top. Yes, I just told you to increase the bass on an 'Xtra Bass' headphone. Just try it, just so you can see the capabilities of this series. I set first band of my iAudio 7 to '12' and my Machbass to '10' on my XB500, just for fun. And let me tell you. The bass blew me away.

Thanks again for that review. That helped a whole bunch. And I'm glad you dethroned your HD650's!

I've done that very thing. It's enough to pound your brain into mush.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #140 of 621
Take note I haven't heard the XB500, so I have no idea how the bass of that compares to this. But like I said, these put every other headphone I have heard to shame when it comes to bass. That's quite a feat considering I've gone through quite a lot of bassy cans and IEMs (owned the ones in my sig, and tried twice more than that quite extensively including the IE8 which I have right now ABing with the XB700).

I will note though that with a proper seal and amping the IE8s and similar bassy IEMs like the Boom are not very far from the amount and quality of bass the XB700 can pump out. But the XB700 still beats them in the end in quantity and may I daresay quality? But only if you are looking for smoother, rounder bass rather than the punchy type. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #141 of 621
Doing some more listening tests. In the short time I've spent with the XB700, it seems to me that the the XB700 has a similar sound signature to the HD650, except that it has way more bass, has a wider soundstage, much poorer imaging and finally has less clarity in the mids and highs overall.

I also think that the XB700, with bass EQ'd out a bit, actually outperforms the HD650 for my tastes on lesser amps. However once I bring out a good amp the HD650's further capabilities can shine and it then outdoes the XB700 especially in the detail and clarity of the treble. Also imaging-wise the HD650 pretty much blows the XB700 away.

I was actually thinking the XB700 might replace my HD650 but after more listening it's become clear that the HD650 is still better. But the XB700 is not all that far behind and this is a very important distinction to make. The XB700 isn't just some one trick bass pony it is a very capable headphone that just happens to be really plump in the bass department. Way too plump actually I'm sure for most people.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #142 of 621
And by the way, I did try it EQing the bass in, LOL man that was a riot! I'll do that again when I'm in a particularly decadent and masochistic mood. Words cannot... describe the experience, hahah

Tried it with the FiiO E5 Bass Boost as well, lol I'll get back to you guys the impression was too much to write about. Let me get my E7 back from my friend and I'll do it agian, and write a proper write up of the experience.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #143 of 621
It does have lots of VERY deep, soft bass and not so much 100Hz+ bass yea, probably way more than any other headphone but it doesn't have really that big impact though, AKG K 518 DJ or Sennheiser HD 212 Pro had a bit more impact IMO. They are very sensitive to EQing though so pushing the 125Hz slider for example will give you a lot more punchy bass. I'd try and push the cups gently towards your ears though together with a slight bass boost, then you'll experience a earthquake for your head. :p Actually I'd want the drivers to be closer to my ears, if I'd figure out how to shape the pillows to be more flat I'd do it so I wouldn't have to boost the bass, tried with some rubberband but failed and I wouldn't wanna use a headband to force more clamping either, too much hazzle. It's good to see it's not only me that liked the mids and highs of this headphone so much when taking into account the price, of the experience I can recall I thought I even prefered the sound of the XB700 over M50 but I thought that simply couldn't be possible.

Playing Unreal Tournament 3, the rocket launcher fights remind me so much of the bass sound I only got when using the Logitech X-530 5.1 set from the 6.25" sub. Yep that's how capable they are of low bass.

If you think bass is too much even un EQd I'll quote DJ Dean from "Protect your ears" track, "If bass is too high, you're too weak". :p j/k

I think I'll recieve the XB500s tomorrow, what I'm expecting is more punchy bass, with worse quality mids and highs but I'll see what can be done when EQing optimally. I really would prefer using a smaller and lighter headphone if I could, the XB700s don't feel heavy on your head but my neck often gets sore with headphones weighting around 300 grams. I usually sit at the comp several hrs a row a day so.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #144 of 621
I've noticed something interesting that the XB700s do that no other 'phones I've tried can manage.  If the bass line is out of phase, between the left and right channels, it will create weird pressure differentials in you sinuses that make it seem like 1/2 of your head has just undergone a massive change in elevation, while the other 1/2 has stayed put.

I'm gonna put that one in the "Pros" column.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #145 of 621
I want people to try this EQ setting I made, if they'd be so kind. (Use foobar.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtcoeotqb242jk2

It lessens the bass, while waking up the treble a bit. Tried to get it to sound as natural as possible, without messing with the mids. Unfortunately Foobar's EQ tool adds some distortion, so it doesn't sound as good as I'd like, but see what you think.

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #146 of 621
I told you guys you would like em'.

These are under-appreciated, and the bass ins;t as emphasized as much as it is just THERE, it doen't roll off. I do't know any other headphone of this quality that do such a thing. It pulls off some of the greatest midrrange and non-fatiguing HF. The xb500s are to the 700s as the v700djs are to the v500. What I mean is, one is respected for it's application as a good sounding headphone (v700) and one sits on the shelf collecting dust because even a DAP a lone can drive the v700, and especially the XB700s. I think you would lose a lot of that lush midrange due to plain loss of sensitifvity from smaller drivers, etc. I am not saying the are bad, as they use the better earpads, the xb300s ARE bad, awefully bad, but thy probably aren't going to make you think twice about pluggin in your HD650s. Only the xb700s can pull that one off.

I have a treat though... A visual history of a basshead: I gathered up all my phones that are known for a full sound and took a little picture with my laptop's webcam. I took others with my other phones and equipment, but this says enough :D Those CAL!s are modded with a mini version of the denon marki-mods. Well worth it, plus the aurvaats seem to have a better bottom end than the d1001ks. It could be the better pads or the slightly different cup shape, but other than that, all parts are identical between the two, so it came down to me liking the piano black and metal chrome band around the cups. The 770/80s have 880/990 pads on them, there is an improvement, and the porta pros are the 25th anniversary editions. The HD555s are modded to be as close to a set of HD600s as I reasonably get them, and being the HD555s, the drivers are able to move to much air, they truly can provice a full sound as well.

This is one of just my xb700s:

So far, they are broken in, the pleather, the band is holding, and I have now put hundreds of hours on them. They go everywhere my Sansa goes as well, and even sound good straight off the tubed line outs on a tubed preamp I have. In that config, they soundever so golden, but only a could phones are sensitive enough to allow this an have the full range needed to get the most out of the tube.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #147 of 621
After a bajillion headphones bought/used, the XB700s are STILL my absolute favorite headphone for music. PERIOD. Nothing comes close. Thunderous bass, yet crisp clarity. Something the DT770 Pro 80 couldn't pull off, and they cost 3 times as much. Not to mention that the Xb700 can be driven like an IEM. It's a sight to behold.

I just couldn't take the pads. Like I was allergic to them or something. And yes, the stitching to me WAS the deal breaker.

Are the XB700s super comfy? Oh yeah. But wear them in one session long enough, and I'd be surprised if you DON'T feel the stitching touching the side of your head where it rests around the ears. It's a damn shame. I want my XB700s back, as long as someone can mod the pads to not have the stitching where they are at.

I am however glad to hear some of the more 'serious' audiophiles here taking the XB700s as a serious headphone. I said it since DAY ONE, the XB700s are a serious contender, especially for those not afraid to EQ. I am one such person who HAAAAATES a flat frequency curve (except when it comes to gaming, a flat curve is a must), so EQ-ing is a regular occurence with me on all my headphones. The XB700s are just PERFECT for bassheads that wanna EQ.

The one thing the XB700 just doesn't do well is gaming without some form of removing quite a bit of the bass. I remember playing Mass Effect 2 on my 360 with the Mixamp, and as I was on my ship, I couldn't hear almost ANY dialogue, because the whirrs and hums of the ship were so pronounced. It was funny to hear.
biggrin.gif
The Mixamp is a basslight 5.1 amp, and believe me, that didn't stop the low end of the XB700s.

You guys really make me want them again. I miss their sparkly highs, that just goes so well with that thunder! The first thing that usually goes from headphones with anywhere near this much bass is the clarity. Not so here.

I too have a 'check' shaped curve, though I admit to being just slightly more critical of the high end than the low end.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #148 of 621
Quote:
I am not saying the are bad, as they use the better earpads.

You are referring to the XB500's right? Do they really have better earpads than the XB700's. Curious might I ask, why so?

Quote:
You guys really make me want them again. I miss their sparkly highs, that just goes so well with that thunder!

Honestly, If I loved a headphone as much as you loved your old XB700's, I would find a way to make them work. I'm not sure what you can do to the pad, but there has got to be a way, there has got to be something you can do to the pad. Just makes me sad, you had to give up your favorite headphone for something such as the earpad stitching...

BTW for anyone who can answer this, does the XB500 have the 'stitching ring' comfort issue as well? Or is it just an XB700 thing?

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #149 of 621
This has been a fantastic thread!

A few days ago I bought Dr. Dre Beats (Studio) at best buy for for $269 but I found this site while reading reviews of them. I do like them and the pounding bass. I keep reading though on this site that I can get a better set for half the price. If that's the case I am all ears.

It sounds to me like I want to go with the XB700's or the HFI-580's. From looking at amazon.com the XB700's are about $100 less than the HFI-580's. I don't mind spending the extra money if it is worth it. The question is, "Is it worth it"?. Or would I be better off putting the extra money toward a portable amp?

That brings me to my next question. The only thing I worry about is weather or not I will need an amp to make these sound as good as the Beats do. I will be playing music from my iPhone, iPad, Sansa Clip, and the like. So will either of these sets sound as good unamped as the Beats did with these devices? The Beats have a built in amp so I can get great volume and head pounding base with them even off of my Sansa Clip which does not provide too much power.

If I do need an amp what portable amp would you recommend. I don't mind spending the money as much as having another thing to lug around. If it will make a huge diff though I will be OK with it but a nice compact portable amp would be nice nothing to big. I would like to stay in the same price range as the Beats cost me for both the headphones and amp if I need one which was after tax and the BestBuy warranty that I let them talk me into about $350

Again this thread has been very informative and mature. Thanks to all for helping and not turning it into a flame war about the Beats.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #150 of 621
I will definitely agree with you. This thread has really been outstanding. We've got a few users that are really holding this thread together. Thanks guys.

Well, to answer your question about the XB700's needing an amp, I'll have to say no. Although, the Fiio E5 seems to be a popular pick to combine with the XB700's, mainly due to it's bass boost. Generally speaking though, they don't need an amp, as it really won't benefit them much. I'm sure it won't benefit your wallet much either.

I'm not sure about the HFI-580 though. One thing for sure, if you are a bass fanatic, the XB series is really the way to go. And it might even save you a bit of money. Perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back