Bass headphones for a new audiophile.
Aug 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pizzacat2468

New Head-Fier
     After reading around through many threads here on head-fi, I've come to realize that much of what characterizes some headphones as being 'better' than others is purely a matter of opinion. As such, I would like to ask for some opinions.

I'm looking for a pair of full sized headphones that deliver bass with depth and impact. The headphones I own and have owned have all been >$100 and definitely weren't audiophile cans. I've been looking into getting a pair of Sony XB1000's, and I've read both good and bad reviews. Most reviews were disappointing, but there was one review under which the reviewer wrote a detailed description of the sound over many milestones of time spent in the burn-in period. After 120 hours, the sound had seemingly leveled out to be rather impressive, even given its cost. 

I'm leaning mostly towards buying the XB1000's, but I would like to know if there are any headphones that would be recommended as being more bass-y for around $300, and whether or not I should buy a headphone amp to go with them, as I'll be mostly listening off of an iphone. Which is sad, I know. Furthermore, if there are any specific portable music players that are above and beyond in sound quality, does anybody know what they are? I am familiar with different audio file formats and their pros and cons. 

Basically, I don't know jack, and I want to know jack. As such, I am asking you to educate me in the areas I have mentioned. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 16
the denon ah d2000's are a bass emphasized (but still close to neutral) headphone 
300 - 350$ 
they don't need an amp, but it is recommended 
top notch comfort too 

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
the denon ah d2000's are a bass emphasized (but still close to neutral) headphone 
300 - 350$ 
they don't need an amp, but it is recommended 
top notch comfort too 

Just got mine back (modded, wooden cups, new cable) and they are absolutely recommended. Stock is great too.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 16
The Ultrasone Pro900, V-Moda M80 are very detailed with deep tight punchy bass and orignal Sansa Fuze offers bass heavy HP out(no roll off and make bassheavy headphones even more bassier).

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 16
Maybe wait for the VMODA M100?

D2000 - excellent but they leak sound...so...something to consider...

What about DT 770 or even the Darth Beyer Edition?

DT990 are open but can be considered

Ultrasones are great !!! Pro 750 / Pro 900 :)

Cheerz!

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 16
My choice would be Beyer DT-770s, Denon d-2000s, Ultrasone HFI-580, or Beyer DT-990s. The d-2000s would probably be the best for what you're looking for, but there are a few others to consider still.
V-moda m-80s are good if you want on-ear, they leak almost no sound either, but don't isolate very well. That's not to say they don't isolate, but don't expect IEM levels of isolation.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
There's always the Beats Pros :p

bigsmile_face.gif

Funny thing is that, if bass is what you need and want.. a pair of 50 bucks can do the work easy... XB500.

To the op:
Want more?  try those Audio Techincas PRO700MKII,  Bassheads here give them a lot of good reviews,  Dont worry the Bass Lover Armys is arriving.

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Funny thing is that, if bass is what you need and want.. a pair of 50 bucks can do the work easy... XB500.

To the op:
Want more?  try those Audio Techincas PRO700MKII,  Bassheads here give them a lot of good reviews,  Dont worry the Bass Lover Armys is arriving.

So there's a Bass Lover Army? I should think about joining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back