Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it?
Mar 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shame on SAA - let's hope sunneebear's idea is correct

Otherwise they have the excuse to use markup as leeperry said, but a 3rd more for the extra redundant channel..

How is it that noone emailed them to find out but let the thread go so far with simple speculation..?

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone's full of it on the 702 anyway....you get a killer cable between the minidin and the furutech, but you keep the stock cable between the 2 cups?
rolleyes.gif

AKG 702 Reference Headphone WITH ALO new SXC Mico CABLE

all these wires are made in China, their markup must be stellar...a bit more -or a bit less- bs doesn't really matter at this point
biggrin.gif

God forbid, USA cables sounds better than Chinese cables that is a defacto
biggrin.gif
, the major criticism about cable i hear is that OMG they are made in China, how dare you to burst the bubble.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is it that noone emailed them to find out but let the thread go so far with simple speculation..?

Email just sent.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 51
popcorn.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 51
Q:
Hello,
I am bit confused. The heading on the page for the E-Series K702 Detachable Cable says "Balance". Is this a mistake? There is also a picture of a balanced cable but no other mention of balance on the page other than the list of lengths and cost with XLR connectors. Do you make a detachable balance cable for the K702?

Thank you

A:
Hello,

Thanks for your email and questions.

Yes, the link below is the page to the Balanced E-Series Audiophile Headphone Cable for the K702 headphones:

Stefan AudioArt Home

Please send me any questions you have about the Balanced E-Series Audiophile Headphone Cable for the K702 headphones and I would be happy to answer them in detail.

SAA System Suggestions:

The following two procedures are the most cost effective way to get a very noticeable improvement in sound quality from your existing headphone/audio system:

Applying a $15.00 can of Caig Deoxit Gold G5 (see link below to all the connectors in your system which include power, interconnect and speaker.

Note: a properly designed power cable applied to all headphone system components will make a significant difference in bass performance along with and overall clarity to the full spectrum of music.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-Deo...itioner-5-oz--
101183168-i1134930.gc (best current price on the Internet)

Removing the static from your CD's and all the cables in your headphone/audio system with Ionoclast:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud.../ionoclast.php

For owners of the HD650, HD600 and HD580 headphones the following that in conjunction with upgrading the stock cable to the Stefan AudioArt E-Series or Endorphin will make a very significant difference in their overall performance.

- Simply remove the oval gray foam which covers each of the drivers inside the left and
right earpieces.

- Remove the grill and frame on the back of each earpiece. This grill and frame simply pulls
off as one piece and can easily be reattached.

If you try these two simple modifications it will open up the sound-stage, improve the high frequencies and overall clarity in both HD650's and the HD600's headphones. We highly recommend you give this a try.

Both of the above procedures will lower the resistance in the signal transfer and surprising yield a more natural overall sound. These are the two most cost effective system treatments available.

Take your time and carefully look over the above and ask me as many questions as you like. Also, remember that Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio is a wonderful resource but it can be very misleading as only a select few really understand high-end audio and how to make comparisons and many reviews are not accurate.

Also, please feel free to call or email us anytime with headphone system questions or visit Stefan AudioArt Welcome for E-Series and Endorphin cable tips. We have several no cost or very low cost tweaks for your headphones and headphone system that we learned over the years and also we can help you achieve excellent results which will further improve your headphone and speaker based listening experience with advice on cabling and component vibration control (visit Mapleshade Records for the best vibration control devices available). We help dozens of audiophile each month save time and money as many do not realize how important these two areas are and that purchasing expensive components to replace existing one only yield minor improvements.

Kind regards,

James S Serdechny
Owner/Designer
Stefan AudioArt Welcome

Q:
Thank you for your reply James S Serdechny.

So is this cable a BALANCE Detachable cable? How is this achieved with the 3 pin Mini XLR. Do I have to send my K702 in to change to a 4 pin for balance connector?

Thank you

A:
Hello,

Almost all headphones currently produced are not capable of a balanced configuration and the ones that are will yield lower sound quality due to the miss-use of this concept.

A balanced configuration consists of three conductors per channel the third conductor being a ground shield designed to channel "noise" away from the signal. This balanced design is necessary for microphone and instrument cables because of the nature of the "hotter signal" and the environment they are used in.

In high-end audio it is not necessary (and is harmful to the audio signal) to use a cable with 3 conductors per channel with a balanced amplifier as the third shielded conductor pollutes the audio signal and considerably degrades the sound quality.

The actual balanced amplifier design is responsible for the higher sound quality not the separate ground used because 99% of the time a headphone cable will not "pick-up" or attact noise and because there is only two conducts per driver (not three) and no falcility in the headphone to channel any noise (if there was noise which again there is not) away from the audio signal. Attaching a ground or sheilded ground to the frame of the headphone driver serves no useful purpose and only degardes the sound as I discovered this many years age as an engineer at Sennhesier.

The point is that the elimination of a ground and especally a shielded ground greatly inproves the sound quality of a high-end headphone cable and this is exactlly our approach. Any other approach results in inferior sound quality.

In the case of our balanced K702 the negative signal path is combined in the 3-pin xlr just as it is inside the K702 headphones. The K702 uses a shared negative signal path and the K701 use a separtate one.

Using a K702 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K702 cable will give you excellent results as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this.

Using a K701 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K701 cable will give you even better results (again as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this) because the 4th conductor provides more conductive surface area and this has proved to be benifical for analog signals.

If you are interested in top performance from your K702's the E-Series is the best choice.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any other questions.

James

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 51
the bs'o'meter is going in the red here
btometer.gif

Balanced headphones - Hydrogenaudio Forums

6moons audio reviews: Balanced headphones - Part One
Quote:

The normal three-conductor cable with the common ground connection is replaced with a cable that has four conductors: right positive and right negative conductors to the positive and negative connections of the right driver coil; and left positive and left negative conductors to the left driver coil.

Balanced Audio Technology
Quote:

Balanced audio works on the principle that two identical signals which are opposite polarities (often erroneously called "out of phase") will cancel each other out. The cables used in such systems are designed to carry two versions of the signal and manipulate the polarities of these signals to eliminate noise.

XLR connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

500px-XLR_pinouts.svg.png

1 Chassis ground (cable shield)
2 positive polarity terminal ("hot")
3 return terminal ("cold")

many ppl will keep pin 1 unused to avoid ground loops AFAIK, or only connect it on the XLR side for cable shielding.

I really don't think that you can get true unbalanced stereo w/ 3 wires hah..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/hel...6/#post5731439
Quote:

The mini XLR connectors has numbers on each pin either 1, 2, or 3. If you look at the manual it gives a drawing of the pinout.

Pin 1 = ground
Pin 2 = right
Pin 3 = left

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/akg...6/#post5623723

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #27 of 51
How exactly does replacing a 3-pole cable with a 4-pole cable that is still attached to the headphones via a 3-pole connector enable a technology that requires 4 poles (balanced: R+, R-, L+, L-)?
I've either missed something, or this =fail.

The fact is that no matter how many wires are in the cable (eg. 173 wires), a 3-pole connector makes it an unbalanced cable.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 51
suddenly, his funky explanations about the stock HD650 cable fade away: Stefan AudioArt Home
Quote:

The HD650 stock headphone cable uses considerably more signal polluting dielectric which degrades the audio signal

there's many tools on the web that can make up bs out of anything...he's prolly using one of these
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 51
Actually what he suggest doing could damage your amp. Shorting the inverse outputs of a balanced amp is asking for problems. Wonder if he will cover the damage caused by his product.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly does replacing a 3-pole cable with a 4-pole cable that is still attached to the headphones via a 3-pole connector enable a technology that requires 4 poles (balanced: R+, R-, L+, L-)?
I've either missed something, or this =fail.

The fact is that no matter how many wires are in the cable (eg. 173 wires), a 3-pole connector makes it an unbalanced cable.

x2 I'm not that familiar with balanced audio, but I'm pretty sure this is spot on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back