Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it?
Mar 9, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 51
My intention was to get clarification of SAA's mysterious web page, not discredit them or their products. But from what I have learned here, I can see why some people call some cables snake oil. I on the other hand do use snake oil. Sometimes this one.
icon10.gif

KeltXO.jpg

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually what he suggest doing could damage your amp. Shorting the inverse outputs of a balanced amp is asking for problems. Wonder if he will cover the damage caused by his product.

x2. does SAA have a clue? What??? his responses to the questions are a bit of a non sequitur, showing a lack of understanding, or wor$e...

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 51
Wow that description of balanced transmission was WAY off. Worse yet assuming this cable doesn't kill your amp it's going to sound terrible.
Better jump on this fiasco quick before it turns into a PR disaster.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #34 of 51
Balanced headphones are not the same as balanced in traditional sense... this trend was started by headroom (i might be wrong on that) and its main purpose was to separate the ground channel and double the slew rate... anyway, check out headroom articles on balanced headphones.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #35 of 51
Their response
Quote:

Hello Reza,

Thanks for your email and questions. There is a huge misunderstanding regarding "balanced" when this term is applied to headphones.

Almost all headphones currently produced are not capable of a balanced configuration and the ones that are will yield lower sound quality due to the miss-use of this concept.

A balanced configuration consists of three conductors per channel the third conductor being a ground shield designed to channel "noise" away from the signal. This balanced design is necessary for microphone and instrument cables because of the nature of the "hotter signal" and the environment they are used in.

In high-end audio it is not necessary (and is harmful to the audio signal) to use a cable with 3 conductors per channel with a balanced amplifier as the third shielded conductor pollutes the audio signal and considerably degrades the sound quality.

The actual balanced amplifier design is responsible for the higher sound quality not the separate ground used because 99% of the time a headphone cable will not "pick-up" or attact noise and because there is only two conducts per driver (not three) and no falcility in the headphone to channel any noise (if there was noise which again there is not) away from the audio signal. Attaching a ground or sheilded ground to the frame of the headphone driver serves no useful purpose and only degardes the sound ( example the new T1 headphones) as I researched and discovered this many years age as an engineer at Sennhesier.

The point is that the elimination of a ground and especally a shielded ground greatly inproves the sound quality of a high-end headphone cable and this is exactlly our approach. Any other approach results in inferior sound quality.

In the case of our balanced K702 the negative signal path is combined in the 3-pin xlr just as it is inside the K702 headphones. The K702 uses a shared negative signal path and the K701 use a separtate one. A shared (common) ground will not short the left and right channel as many headphones used this design and all are capable of being used with a balanced amplifier.

Using a K702 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K702 cable will give you excellent results as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this.

Using a K701 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K701 cable will give you even better results (again as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this) because the 4th conductor provides more conductive surface area and this has proved to be benifical for analog signals.

If you are interested in top performance from your K702's and balanced amp. the E-Series is the best choice.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

James S Serdechny
Owner/Designer
Stefan AudioArt Welcome

It is never explained what the benifit of the cable is, or how it is balanced, considering that the definition he gives is "harmful to the audio signal".

Any ideas?

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 51
Looks like they have a boiler plate response which has been responded to already. Bottom line their cable can and most likely will damage a balanced amp. This company should be placed on people ls do not trust list.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 51
essentially all it does is allow you to kinda sorta play a non-balanced headphone out of a balanced amp. Which is asking to blow things up.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #39 of 51
English is prolly not his native tongue, but I wonder if he speaks the same mumbo-jumbo IRL...he looks like a natural, though.
"There is a huge misunderstanding"
miaoulemalin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
English is prolly not his native tongue, but I wonder if he speaks the same mumbo-jumbo IRL...he looks like a natural, though.
"There is a huge misunderstanding"
miaoulemalin.gif

from what i have read i see no misunderstanding. he thinks it is perfectly safe to short the grounds on a balanced amp. this is very bad for the amp and to think otherwise and sell a product that supports this is wrong.

p.s. sorry for improper case, some reason i can not capitalize anything right now

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 51
Hello Reza,

Quote:

Thanks for your email and questions. There is a huge misunderstanding regarding "balanced" when this term is applied to headphones.

Almost all headphones currently produced are not capable of a balanced configuration and the ones that are will yield lower sound quality due to the miss-use of this concept.

A balanced configuration consists of three conductors per channel the third conductor being a ground shield designed to channel "noise" away from the signal. This balanced design is necessary for microphone and instrument cables because of the nature of the "hotter signal" and the environment they are used in.

The SAA "balanced" cable is not balanced in this sense either - how is this even relevant?

Quote:

In high-end audio it is not necessary (and is harmful to the audio signal) to use a cable with 3 conductors per channel with a balanced amplifier as the third shielded conductor pollutes the audio signal and considerably degrades the sound quality.

But isn't the shielded conductor there to SHIELD?
Anyhow my headphones use a 4-pin XLR and the 3rd pin on 2x3pin XLRs are redundant right? In the case that they are grounded with 2x3pin XLR output amps, I'm sure there's a purpose.

Quote:

Using a K701 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K701 cable will give you even better results (again as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this) because the 4th conductor provides more conductive surface area.

Either way I didn't ask about the K701..

Quote:

The actual balanced amplifier design is responsible for the higher sound quality not the separate ground used because 99% of the time a headphone cable will not "pick-up" or attact noise and because there is only two conducts per driver (not three) and no falcility in the headphone to channel any noise (if there was noise which again there is not) away from the audio signal. Attaching a ground or sheilded ground to the frame of the headphone driver serves no useful purpose and only degardes the sound ( example the new T1 headphones) as I researched and discovered this many years age as an engineer at Sennhesier.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The K702 has 1.5 conductors per driver not 2.
He pretty much just said that the lack of a ground means there isn't noise for the ground to shield the cable from.

Quote:

The point is that the elimination of a ground and especally a shielded ground greatly inproves the sound quality of a high-end headphone cable and this is exactlly our approach. Any other approach results in inferior sound quality.

???

Quote:

In the case of our balanced K702 the negative signal path is combined in the 3-pin xlr just as it is inside the K702 headphones.

ie. Not balanced.

Quote:

The K702 uses a shared negative signal path and the K701 use a separtate one. A shared (common) ground will not short the left and right channel as many headphones used this design and all are capable of being used with a balanced amplifier.

Balanced output is not enabled on the Little Dot MK VII without balanced input. Go figure.

Quote:

Using a K702 with a balanced amp with our E-series balanced K702 cable will give you excellent results as long as the balanced amp. is capable of this.

I think I'm less concerned about my balanced amp being balanced.

Quote:

If you are interested in top performance from your K702's and balanced amp. the E-Series is the best choice.

Not really. Not if it breaks my amp.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 51
Is it not the case that the ground is not connected with balanced headphones> ie L- goes to where gnd normally would, and L+ to "hot, which would be pin 2 and 3 on a balanced output?

Ground not connected at all...

from headroom:

balancedamp.gif

and:

Quote:

Balanced headphones are just regular headphones that have been re-cabled in a special way. The normal three-conductor cable with the common ground connection is replaced with a cable that has four conductors: right positive and right negative conductors to the positive and negative connections of the right driver coil; and left positive and left negative conductors to the left driver coil. The cable is terminated in two XLR male connectors, one each for the left and right channel. A special headphone amplifier is used that has “balanced” outputs where each channel has a normal audio drive signal and a mirror image inverted drive signal. The trick here is that there is no “ground” to the headphones anymore, so there is no opportunity for the crosstalk distortion described above.

Clear as mud!!!

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back