Balanced K702 - how does SAA do it?
Mar 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

WirBrauchenBass

New Head-Fier
hello everyone.

i've recently started looking into balancing headphones and though i don't actually plan on buying anything anytime soon, this has come to my attention:

stefan audio art offers a detachable balanced replacement cable for the AKG K702 that simply plugs in the original mini-xlr connector. no soldering, no dual-entry - I like that (maybe apart from the price...).
however, as far as my limited understanding of the technical aspects goes, that shouldn't turn them into a balanced headphone, as both drivers still use the same common ground - or am i missing something here?

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 51
weird, thats not suppose to work since there is no ground for it

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 51
Not sure what they are selling to be honest. They mention several times 3-conductor cable yet headline this as a balanced cable. You can not have both unless you are talking mono.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 51
this cable won't really make the K702 balanced. You'd have to either make it dual entry or change the mini xlr to 4 pin mini xlr.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 51
Yeah man, as if the k702 can be turned into balance by just a change of cables..
That was the reason why I sold my k702 for a k701 man D:

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 51
You can use the shield or body of the connector as the second ground and that will make the fourth connection. You will also have to do that on the headphone. I didn't see anywhere SAA saying that. Maybe when you click to buy they will let you know you have to send your headphone in for modding.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 51
The whole cable business is never going to disappear. The stock cable in my K701 is the best headphone cable i have tried. no microphonics, death silent noise-floor and very soft and flexible. That's all i wanted from a headphone cable.

but then again whether someone wants to spend money on after market cables does not bother me at all, their money their problem.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole cable business is never going to disappear. The stock cable in my K701 is the best headphone cable i have tried. no microphonics, death silent noise-floor and very soft and flexible. That's all i wanted from a headphone cable.

but then again whether someone wants to spend money on after market cables does not bother me at all, their money their problem.

I don't see a problem people spending money on cables, but in this case the seller is clearly selling a lie here, that tells me that this seller is not honest that is real the issue here. .

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep..
but for sq wise, I prefer the k702 w moon audio black dragon cable, though the highs are SLIGHTLY shrilling..
but I got use to the k701 now.
so for going balanced, just going to reterminate the 6.3mm to 4pin xlr
biggrin.gif

simple and easy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back