B&W P5 Headphones: An Unboxing of the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones
Mar 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #76 of 702
Hello. I'm new here; i've been following this thread and thought i'd post a reply as I bought these headphones 1 week ago.

I've been mainly using 2 headphones for the last couple of years; Sennheiser HD595 for home use, and Sennheiser PX200 for mobile use. For a while I've been searching for something with better sound quality and noise-blocking than the PX200, but more portable and without the sound-leakage of my HD595, mainly to use at work, but also a little out-and-about. I've tried Bose Around Ears (i hated the sound and returned them after a week). I've also owned (and loved) some B&W speakers for the last 10 years, so when i read about the new headphone, i had to give it a try and it seemed to be what i was looking for.

I have to say, on first use i was dissaponted. I actually wondered if something was wrong with them. They sounded a bit muddy and compressed around the mid-range (vocals especially), but i thought they probably needed running-in for a few days. After a week of fairly intense use they have improved a lot. The bass is excellent - never over-blown, very precise and goes very deep when needed, good mid-range and treble, and good detail. They are very neutral sounding to me, and with some music still sounding a little harsh. At the moment my main concern about the sound, is they seem a little to "up-front" for my taste (they certainly don't have the sense of space of the HD595, but that's to be expected somewhat as the HD595 is an open can). They are sounding better each day, but yet they still have a little mid-range conjestion that was so present at the beginning. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep them or not - I told myself I'd give them 1 week.

It terms of comfort, yet they are very comfortable, except that your ears warm up a little (though never seem to get too hot), and you have to set the headband a small as possible to get a very snug fit, otherwise you constantly have the feeling that if you move your head forward too quickly they'll go flying off. I have to say they are NOT as comfortable for long periods as either my PX200 or my HD595.

The build quality is exceptionally good and they really feel like a "luxury" product compared to my other phones. I'm not so into the overly retro looks but it doesn't bother me either. My main issue with the aesthetics is they look a little TOO expensive and attention-grabbing for wearing out and about (i quite like headphones when they are unassuming and don't draw attention).

Maybe you guys could give me some advice on how much longer i should try running them in - will they get much better or do you think i should just take them back. If i return them what others would you recommend?

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #77 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?! So which BOSE product is this one forked from?
wink.gif

B&W 800 Diamond
800_Diamond_Piano_Black_Gloss_Grille_Off.jpg

Yes, or this one
BW%20Nautilus.jpg

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #78 of 702
Yeah - people can saw what they want about the P5 (and as usual most people commenting have never seen or heard them), but to call B&W in any way equivalent to Bose is beyond ridiculous.

I can quite assure you, as a Nautilus 800 owner (and one who evaluated 20 other pairs of speakers in the $20K price range before selecting them) that B&W is quite capable of making outstanding audio products, by ANY measure. That doesn't mean the P5's are any good - but let's not get carried away at casting aspersions at B&W just because they are prone to a little marketing hyperbole - I've yet to find a manufacturer that isn't. B&W's body of work in audio is up there with the very best speaker makers there have ever been.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #79 of 702
Can you blame B&W for wanting to be part of the "Made for ipod" bandwagon either? I would certainly want to be involved if I was in their position!

These phones are a good thing, as was the Zeppelin, more people being exposed to high/higher quality equipment and brands has to be a good thing for both the industry and will help (hopefully) to drive standards for sound quality upwards.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #80 of 702
jona77- You might really want to get away from those Senn px200's.
Theyre about as bad as AKG k26p's. Listening to them for too long will get you used to bad sound. I dont sell much. I usually keep almost everything i buy, and i sold them asap, which is rare for me.
Those HD595's are really nice phones though. PX100's would make nice complementary portables for those.

Welcome to head-Fi , sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

As soon as those B&W phones are at the store by me, im going to have a listen.

Although i hate Ipods. I hate itunes and the whole marketing idea really. Only the new Nano w/fm sounds good. But ill go there to hear it anyway.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #81 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to kunalraiker's reply.

From what I have seen of his posts, he has an unfortunate habit of making recommendations and claims that are not based on first hand experience. So I hope that he refrains from replying on this occasion.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #83 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i hate Ipods. I hate itunes and the whole marketing idea really. Only the new Nano w/fm sounds good. But ill go there to hear it anyway.

Hate is such a strong word. I really don't understand this attitude towards portable music players and music software. It's quite bizarre.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #84 of 702
DragOn: Intersting your opinion of the px200. I'll admit when i first got them a few years ago i was underwhelmed, but now they're so well worn in, i really quite like them and i'd replace them instantly if i ever lost them (if only for the portability). Of course, they're a bit lean on bass, but what there is i find sounds good. I like the fact they sound quite "open" for a closed headphone, and they have a nice bouncy quality to the sound that i like. They don't block so much outside noise and so you need to turn them up quite a lot in the subway etc.
I've never heard the PX100, but i got the PX200 as i needed something closed, and they do compliment the HD595s quite well i think. They're certainly way better than the Bose ones i tried. But yes, at the same time, it's because i want something better that i bought the B&W's.

Well i think i've decided i'm returning the P5's today. After a week they just don't do it for me. That muddy sound in the mid-range just bothers me - i expected them to have a much more open-sound to them (like i know from their speakers). They make sound great in a few weeks, but at 299 euros it's too much of a risk. The comfort is also a problem for me.

What do you all think of the Audio-Technica ES7's?

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #85 of 702
If you can afford the P5 why not the ES10 or ESW9? It seems strange you'd swap a $350 headphone for a $80 one.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #86 of 702
Good point, although here in Europe the ES7 is actually more like 150 euros (still only half the B&W i know, but anyway i don't think the B&W sound better than my HD595, which i only paid about 130 euros for). To be honest i didn't know about the others, although the ES10 costs quite a bit more than the B&W. I don't know much about Audio-Technica as they seem to be a bit more difficult to find over here.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #87 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From a review on Apple's site:

Excellent sound, but...

1. Written by HV from Ilford
  2. 20-Feb-2010
These cans have great sounds and I have discovered detail not previously heard from my iPod, which is fantastic. They are well constructed and look the business (actually they are the best looking non-ear headphones out there)

But, and this is a big one for me, the headband is small so if you have a slightly larger head like myself then they are a uncomfortable to wear for prolong periods since it does not sit nicely on top if you want your ears to be properly covered. This is a real shame since it would have gotten the five stars which it no doubt deserves. Alas, if only they made the headband bigger. I recommend you try them on first before rushing to buy.

They clamp onto your ears quite tightly, but they need to as they are on ear and are supposed to isolate you from outside noise, so they need to be quite tight. But the pads are so comfortable, I don't think that is an issue. I would be interested if HV from Ilford tried the P5s both ways round to accommodate their big head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look here, this is really bad, not everyone has a ipod!
Made for iPod

How many times can you find, "ipod" on their sight?
It sounds like they're obsessed with crapple products.

B&W and Apple have a tie in as the Apple Store sells them. 'Made for ipod' is marketing. These headphones will work with all mp3 players and amps.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #88 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by jona77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DragOn: Intersting your opinion of the px200. I'll admit when i first got them a few years ago i was underwhelmed, but now they're so well worn in, i really quite like them and i'd replace them instantly if i ever lost them (if only for the portability). Of course, they're a bit lean on bass, but what there is i find sounds good. I like the fact they sound quite "open" for a closed headphone, and they have a nice bouncy quality to the sound that i like. They don't block so much outside noise and so you need to turn them up quite a lot in the subway etc.
I've never heard the PX100, but i got the PX200 as i needed something closed, and they do compliment the HD595s quite well i think. They're certainly way better than the Bose ones i tried. But yes, at the same time, it's because i want something better that i bought the B&W's.

Well i think i've decided i'm returning the P5's today. After a week they just don't do it for me. That muddy sound in the mid-range just bothers me - i expected them to have a much more open-sound to them (like i know from their speakers). They make sound great in a few weeks, but at 299 euros it's too much of a risk. The comfort is also a problem for me.

What do you all think of the Audio-Technica ES7's?

I have the PX200s as well and as far as I am concerned the P5s are better in terms of, well everything, clarity, dynamics, soundstage the lot. However, I will not be getting the P5s as at £250 I am paying for a lot of marketing and style and I can get a similar sound for half the price (£100-125). Which is better than the PX200s at half the price again (£40ish).

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #89 of 702
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are very nice photos, Jude. It is nice to see an audio company come out with headphones that are not only retro but built with high quality materials. I do not see any plastic anywhere. I am hoping that the sound will be high-end as well. We could always use another company to keep the competition on its toes and B&W has the knowledge, and perhaps more importantly, the coffers, to give the best a serious challenge.

That'll save you 1,000 posts!!!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back