AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #557 of 2,529
The "smell" stays... forever.

I don't know what it is, but I wouldn't call it chemicals. It's not sharp or pungent, so I don't mind it.

I just stuck my nose on them and yes, I suppose it does last forever! But when I first got mine (used), the smell was somewhat overwhelming, and now (after approx 1 year), I had forgotten all about the smell....That is until I just read these posts and stuck my nose on them lol.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #558 of 2,529
I just stuck my nose on them and yes, I suppose it does last forever! But when I first got mine (used), the smell was somewhat overwhelming, and now (after approx 1 year), I had forgotten all about the smell....That is until I just read these posts and stuck my nose on them lol.

Now you just made me take my Nighthawks out of their case to have a sniff. I do remember the smell being overpowering when I got them in October but I always thought it was the pads. Not sure but it was strong and I did not like it. They have spent quite a lot of time hanging on a metal Brainwavz hook clamped to my desk. The wire nests nicely in one of the grooves. Anyway they have aired out so much that I smell nothing now. Of course I did recently change the stock hybrid pads to the micro-suede one. Now I will have to go find the hybrids and smell those...

Now that I have them out I think I will try them on the tube amp that I got a couple of weeks ago...

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #562 of 2,529
I have the Meze 99 Classics and had read that these may be even more detailed and revealing but with the same comfort. Am I missing out on these or are the Meze 80-90% on what the NO can deliver and should be happy with what I have? Also considered the Aeon but went with the lower cost option of the Meze...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #563 of 2,529
I have the Meze 99 Classics and had read that these may be even more detailed and revealing but with the same comfort. Am I missing out on these or are the Meze 80-90% on what the NO can deliver and should be happy with what I have? Also considered the Aeon but went with the lower cost option of the Meze...

NightOwl is smoother and deeper, richer and lusher. And yes, it is capable is rendering those finer details, but due to its tuning (warmer), details are not what will shoot out at you when compairing to the 99 Classics. The 99c has more treble energy and is brighter up top, which is traditionally better for detail retrieval. NO is a superior headphone and can get there without that tuning, though it won't be as apparent.

Just be careful that warmer and richer is what you want.

Also, NightOwl is WAY more comfortable that Meze. I find Meze acceptably comfortable, but NO takes it to a whole new level.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #564 of 2,529
NightOwl is smoother and deeper, richer and lusher. And yes, it is capable is rendering those finer details, but due to its tuning (warmer), details are not what will shoot out at you when compairing to the 99 Classics. The 99c has more treble energy and is brighter up top, which is traditionally better for detail retrieval. NO is a superior headphone and can get there without that tuning, though it won't be as apparent.

Just be careful that warmer and richer is what you want.

Also, NightOwl is WAY more comfortable that Meze. I find Meze acceptably comfortable, but NO takes it to a whole new level.

Even though Ive never heard the Meze, don't give up on the Owls. After burning in well over 300 hours, I love their sound. I personally don't think they're as warm as the HD 650 but they are warm. The bass is so smooth and natural along with the treble. Mids are perfect where they're balanced and not in the background
You have a lot of believers in this phone. Me included. It's all in what YOU hear man. I hear lots of detail, smooth bass that can go deep if called for and cymbals that sound natural.
Loved and hated them out of the box. Now? Nothin but love.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #565 of 2,529
Pinky and Koover, thanks for that. I think as of late, I have gravitating towards a warmer phone. I'm not treble sensitive but really like all the warmth I can get. I will have to look more closely st the NOs. comfort is a huge part, if you aren't good to sit for a couple hours, it loses a lot of value. Any feedback on the Aeons? I have the Ethers and love them. Wondered how the Aeons fit into the closed arena.

I already have more than I need. Looking for something that might pair well with the new Fiio X3 3rd Gen due soon...but truth be told this new closed will mostly be tied to the X5iii I have.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #566 of 2,529
Even though Ive never heard the Meze, don't give up on the Owls. After burning in well over 300 hours, I love their sound. I personally don't think they're as warm as the HD 650 but they are warm. The bass is so smooth and natural along with the treble. Mids are perfect where they're balanced and not in the background
You have a lot of believers in this phone. Me included. It's all in what YOU hear man. I hear lots of detail, smooth bass that can go deep if called for and cymbals that sound natural.
Loved and hated them out of the box. Now? Nothin but love.

Are you telling me not to give up on NightOwl? No worries there. I love these headphones! :D

Richsvt, just wait till you feel NO. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever felt. And I thought it was impossible to beat the HD6XX.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #567 of 2,529
Does anyone know of a semi-hard zippered case similar to the Oppo PM-3's or RBH HP-2's that would fit the NO's? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #568 of 2,529
Totally agree, got both the Owls and Meze and the comfort of the Owls is in a different league from anything I have tried. The sound is hard to describe accurately, but I can say that it brought tear to my eyes listening RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik album. It sounded so real! Tested the Owls and the Meze, PM-3, TH-X00, M1060, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II (wired) and Sony MDB-1RBT II (wired) on a few friends and they all agreed the Owls are special indeed. Except my 21 yo son, who puts the Meze above all. Polarizing things the Owls, you have to listen before you buy because there's going to be either love or hate, no middle road :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #569 of 2,529
Are you telling me not to give up on NightOwl? No worries there. I love these headphones! :D

Richsvt, just wait till you feel NO. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever felt. And I thought it was impossible to beat the HD6XX.

Oops, responded to wrong post. Glad you're with me! :L3000:

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #570 of 2,529
Can anyone tell me how the NO's compare with the NAD Viso HP50's, Oppo PM-3's or the RBH HP-2's? FYI, I have blindly ordered a new set of NO's and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back