AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 19, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #572 of 2,528
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #573 of 2,528
Can anyone tell me how the NO's compare with the NAD Viso HP50's, Oppo PM-3's or the RBH HP-2's? FYI, I have blindly ordered a new set of NO's and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Any input would be very much appreciated.
I have the Oppo PM-3s and the Nightowls. They sound very different to me. The PM3 is more linear, dry, with rolled off treble. The Nightowl is more dynamic, lusher, and some of the best resolution of a closed-back that I have heard. I use my Nightowls at my desk and the PM3 bedside and as portables.
Note: I haven't heard all headphones yet, but the NightOwls have become a favorite to me along with Hifiman HE400S.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #574 of 2,528
Totally agree, got both the Owls and Meze and the comfort of the Owls is in a different league from anything I have tried. The sound is hard to describe accurately, but I can say that it brought tear to my eyes listening RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik album. It sounded so real! Tested the Owls and the Meze, PM-3, TH-X00, M1060, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II (wired) and Sony MDB-1RBT II (wired) on a few friends and they all agreed the Owls are special indeed. Except my 21 yo son, who puts the Meze above all. Polarizing things the Owls, you have to listen before you buy because there's going to be either love or hate, no middle road :)
Interesting your son's thoughts. I picked Crossfade 2 over Meze. Not a fan of bright treble and 99C was too much for me. Crossfade 2 still has sparkle but toned down just enough in comparison and still has nice mids and low end. My go to portable. Got the Nightowl 2 weeks ago. Love them on all fronts. Find myself using US pads for instrumental music, jazz etc. and the Boost pads for all other genre. My favorite cans, but I've been a nighthawk fan for 3 years, just couldn't afford them

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #575 of 2,528
Can anyone tell me how the NO's compare with the NAD Viso HP50's, Oppo PM-3's or the RBH HP-2's? FYI, I have blindly ordered a new set of NO's and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. Any input would be very much appreciated.
You REALLY have yo burn the drivers in! Don't judge them for at least 70 hours of play time

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #576 of 2,528
I have the Oppo PM-3s and the Nightowls. They sound very different to me. The PM3 is more linear, dry, with rolled off treble. The Nightowl is more dynamic, lusher, and some of the best resolution of a closed-back that I have heard. I use my Nightowls at my desk and the PM3 bedside and as portables.
Note: I haven't heard all headphones yet, but the NightOwls have become a favorite to me along with Hifiman HE400S.

Thanks. That was quite helpful.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #578 of 2,528
Listening to Lorde's new album, and wow does it mesh well with NightOwl. Theses cans bring her smokey voice to vivid life.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #579 of 2,528
Looking forward. I liked the review of the NH on your site. One of the few that grokked the subtlety of the NH tuning. One request... Please put the NH pads, the Hybrid pads, on your NOs and compare that to NH w/Hybrid pads. Skylar says the NH and NO have virtually the same sonics. The thing that I think has thrown many a reviewer for a loop is the fact that the NO ships only with Pleather and Microsuede pads... so they incorrectly think that the tuning has changed. No, just the pads. NH or NO with Hybrid pads is the most amazing tuning of any can I have heard... they sound similar to speakers in a room, not in-your-face near field monitors, which is what most in the Head-Fi world consider proper tuning.
I know this post was from months ago. Recently got the Nightowl. Long time Nighthawk fan. Apwnt many a day in Best Buy demoing for over an hour at a time. According to your post, you have experience with the Nightowl using the hybrid pads? I love the US pads for instrument based music. Definitely like Boost over US pads for modern music. From what I remember of Nighthawk the hybrids had a lot of bass, and the treble was more relaxed than on the carbon. Though the sparkle is a nice addition, I can't help but think I would appreciate a little less treble sparkle. So thoughts and possible idea of how to obtain hybrid pads would be appreciated

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #581 of 2,528
I've heard the nighthawk and I find it bass shy; would it be the same case for nightowl?
Which Nighthawk, which pads? Definitely would never call the Nighthawk bass light, but different pads change frequency response

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #583 of 2,528
I think it's the hybrid earpad. My friend bought the nighthawk from a headfier and both of us agree that it's lacking in bass.
That's really interesting. I ALWAYS liked the nighthawk wood because I thought the bass banged! I have the Nightowl, and the Boost pads have increased the treble, which some individuals desired. I think I would actually like to have all 3 sets of pads. Been trying to find a way to get the hybrids

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #584 of 2,528
So bear with me for a bit, as I am quite the headphone noob and more at home with IEMs. I would like to get a sense of headphone performance compared to IEMs and in particular the Nightowl relative to TOTL IEMs.

I am looking around to find a smooth and organic sound that has very realistic timbre. I know what I would like in IEMs, but for headphones I am pretty much at a loss. After having read various reviews and looked at a number of headphones, it seems to me that perhaps the Nightowl might have the sort of signature I prefer. My main question about the Nightowl is how well are instruments reproduced? Primarily for classical music, where much of the emotion of a piece is presented by using certain instruments at specific times.

Also, how well should I expect the Nightowl to perform compared to TOTL IEMs? Headphones have an obvious advantage, but I have no idea how big that difference is these days. This is mainly a question about whether or not I should consider headphones now that this hobby is starting to escalate a bit. If I can get the sound I am after for less than half the price of the IEMs I am looking at, then that is certainly something worth considering.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #585 of 2,528
That's really interesting. I ALWAYS liked the nighthawk wood because I thought the bass banged! I have the Nightowl, and the Boost pads have increased the treble, which some individuals desired. I think I would actually like to have all 3 sets of pads. Been trying to find a way to get the hybrids

Cool! Do let me know when you tried the hybrid's earpad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back