AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #586 of 2,529
There is a difference between the Hybrid pads and the Pleather ones to my ears. Hybrids sound more like speakers, with the most open soundstage of the three. Of course, sounding like speakers means a small dip in the mids, which completely freaks out people who want the HD650 sound. Pleather pads raise the dip in the mids and sound more like a "normal" headphone. Me, I went back and forth for a few days, and decided I like the Hybrids better.
You seem to be the only person commenting regarding the hybrid pads. I listen to MANY different genres. What I remember I liked about original nighthawk, was that that the bass was booking, on current hip hop and r&b. With my Nightowl, I love the US for instrument/orchestral music. The boost pads are nice for urban music, but the bass doesn't hit as hard as the nighthawk wood. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the treble increase. I'm used to it, but I prefer the normal treble as opposed to boost. So my question is, will I FEEL more bass with hybrid pads, vs boost? Looking to rder hybrid soon, possibly.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #587 of 2,529
So bear with me for a bit, as I am quite the headphone noob and more at home with IEMs. I would like to get a sense of headphone performance compared to IEMs and in particular the Nightowl relative to TOTL IEMs.

I am looking around to find a smooth and organic sound that has very realistic timbre. I know what I would like in IEMs, but for headphones I am pretty much at a loss. After having read various reviews and looked at a number of headphones, it seems to me that perhaps the Nightowl might have the sort of signature I prefer. My main question about the Nightowl is how well are instruments reproduced? Primarily for classical music, where much of the emotion of a piece is presented by using certain instruments at specific times.

Also, how well should I expect the Nightowl to perform compared to TOTL IEMs? Headphones have an obvious advantage, but I have no idea how big that difference is these days. This is mainly a question about whether or not I should consider headphones now that this hobby is starting to escalate a bit. If I can get the sound I am after for less than half the price of the IEMs I am looking at, then that is certainly something worth considering.
This is just my opinion/experience. I us d to be all about IEMs. The convenience, portability, ease to drive. Then I discovered over ear cans. I've listened to a lot of good IEMs, and in general they are more crisp than most Over ear cans, but great sound in your head feel I get, just doesn't beat a slightly less clear but wider presentation, for me. The ONE In ear that changes that feel is the Isine 20. But it's open back, so still for home use. Anyway, I love the Nightowl, because the presentation feels different than most headphones. The highs are crisp and clear, mids are present, bass is good, articulate. For instrument based genres, absolutely use the US earpads, which decrease the mid bass a bit to shine a greater light on the upper mid range and overall treble. Still reach deep in bass when needed. These pads are great with jazz, classical etc. The musicality is excellent. Will feel like is coming from a wider area than IEMs. Nothing is missing as far as frequency is concerned. And if you lay on your back, you could have these on ALL day

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #588 of 2,529
This is just my opinion/experience. I us d to be all about IEMs. The convenience, portability, ease to drive. Then I discovered over ear cans. I've listened to a lot of good IEMs, and in general they are more crisp than most Over ear cans, but great sound in your head feel I get, just doesn't beat a slightly less clear but wider presentation, for me. The ONE In ear that changes that feel is the Isine 20. But it's open back, so still for home use. Anyway, I love the Nightowl, because the presentation feels different than most headphones. The highs are crisp and clear, mids are present, bass is good, articulate. For instrument based genres, absolutely use the US earpads, which decrease the mid bass a bit to shine a greater light on the upper mid range and overall treble. Still reach deep in bass when needed. These pads are great with jazz, classical etc. The musicality is excellent. Will feel like is coming from a wider area than IEMs. Nothing is missing as far as frequency is concerned. And if you lay on your back, you could have these on ALL day
Thanks! I guess headphones are a different proposition because the sound is less intimate and that is something I (to a certain extent) discovered when I was forced to use earbuds for a while because of pressure issues with my CIEMs. The openness was something I did not expect to like and it made me look around for open-back headphones, but living in London the noise is just too much, even at home, to go for open-back. From what I understand the Nightowl are excellent in creating a spacious feel that is unusual for closed-back headphones and that sounds like a great solution.

Is there any harshness in the treble with the US earpads? I am very treble sensitive and from what I read the Nightowl seems to be quite smooth and natural while maintaining good clarity, but not sure if that goes for both types of earpads.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #589 of 2,529
Thanks! I guess headphones are a different proposition because the sound is less intimate and that is something I (to a certain extent) discovered when I was forced to use earbuds for a while because of pressure issues with my CIEMs. The openness was something I did not expect to like and it made me look around for open-back headphones, but living in London the noise is just too much, even at home, to go for open-back. From what I understand the Nightowl are excellent in creating a spacious feel that is unusual for closed-back headphones and that sounds like a great solution.

Is there any harshness in the treble with the US earpads? I am very treble sensitive and from what I read the Nightowl seems to be quite smooth and natural while maintaining good clarity, but not sure if that goes for both types of earpads.
Dude, I'm treble sensitive too. Focsl Utopia, Meze 99, appreciate, but wouldn't purchase. Just too much treble for me. The boost pads took some getting used to, but still easier treble than some cans. US pads bring the treble back to normal Audioquest levels. Awesome overall. Great for instrument s and less treble allows for higher volume before reaching fatigue. Ordered hybrid pads, as I really loved the original Nighthawk presentation. Should have those Wednesday. Could see myself rotating between the 3 depending on genre, and that would make these cans SUPERHEROES. Great cans, and ability to change freq response 3 ways.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #590 of 2,529
Dude, I'm treble sensitive too. Focsl Utopia, Meze 99, appreciate, but wouldn't purchase. Just too much treble for me. The boost pads took some getting used to, but still easier treble than some cans. US pads bring the treble back to normal Audioquest levels. Awesome overall. Great for instrument s and less treble allows for higher volume before reaching fatigue. Ordered hybrid pads, as I really loved the original Nighthawk presentation. Should have those Wednesday. Could see myself rotating between the 3 depending on genre, and that would make these cans SUPERHEROES. Great cans, and ability to change freq response 3 ways.
Thanks again, very helpful! Looks like I need to plan a visit to the local dealer for a demo. :o2smile:

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #591 of 2,529
Thanks again, very helpful! Looks like I need to plan a visit to the local dealer for a demo. :o2smile:
See if your demo location has both sets of pads so you can try them with your chosen music

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #592 of 2,529
Have to say, I'm a little bit confounded by the notion that the amount of treble in the NightOwl is somehow more "right" or "natural" than what one experiences in most other high-end headphones (which many here would say is "too much"). I have burned in my demo pair of NightOwls for more than 100 hours, have switched to the suede pads, and still find the treble to be lacking in sparkle (for my personal tastes). I have tried a wide variety of DACs and amps, to no avail. The NightHawks were even less to my liking, and I have stopped stocking them since I couldn't recommend them to most people.

Having frequented jazz clubs and concert halls for many years, I can tell you that in a live setting, those cymbals are bright (no surprise), and that piano's upper register glistens! Why is that missing sparkle considered preferable by so many here? Even many female vocal tracks seem to have a veil over them through the AQs unless I really crank the volume. And I hate sibilance as much as the next guy. Overly-bright headphones are not for me, as I usually favor a warm sound signature. Not looking to start a fight, but trying to understand.
Thoughts?
I sure do love the NightOwl's comfort and the bass, though!

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #593 of 2,529
Have to say, I'm a little bit confounded by the notion that the amount of treble in the NightOwl is somehow more "right" or "natural" than what one experiences in most other high-end headphones (which many here would say is "too much"). I have burned in my demo pair of NightOwls for more than 100 hours, have switched to the suede pads, and still find the treble to be lacking in sparkle (for my personal tastes). I have tried a wide variety of DACs and amps, to no avail. The NightHawks were even less to my liking, and I have stopped stocking them since I couldn't recommend them to most people.

Having frequented jazz clubs and concert halls for many years, I can tell you that in a live setting, those cymbals are bright (no surprise), and that piano's upper register glistens! Why is that missing sparkle considered preferable by so many here? Even many female vocal tracks seem to have a veil over them through the AQs unless I really crank the volume. And I hate sibilance as much as the next guy. Overly-bright headphones are not for me, as I usually favor a warm sound signature. Not looking to start a fight, but trying to understand.
Thoughts?
The US pads don't increase the treble, the Boost (pleather) pads do. The US pads decrease the mid bass. Not everyone lacks really sparkly treble. That's my main reason for not being a fan of the Focsl Utopia. Too much trenle for me. The boost pads are at the limit of what I'll be okay with. The US pads have trenle levels that I like for instruments. Granted, ut can also depend on your source. I'm playing music through the Dragonfly Red, which is a clear, somewhat bright DAC, with present, extended, but not booking bass, so that's what I'm also working with. YMMV

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #594 of 2,529

Thoughts?
It is a fair enough question I would think. For me personally there are two aspects to this. First something I have read around the forums a few times, which is that attenuated treble (note that it can still be extended treble) sounds more natural and realistic. Cymbals, pianos, violins, etc, don't have sibilance and I think in many cases where people talk about attenuated treble being more natural and/or realistic that it has to do with avoiding sibilance.

The other thing is treble sensitivity differing from person to person. I am very treble sensitive and can often be distracted by high pitched noises that other people don't notice. When you and I would listen to the same headphones, we would literally hear (perceive) a different treble. I have so often looked at the Meze 99C and because I can't demo it I just don't dare despite people saying it has smooth treble. It has a very energetic and exciting signature and I know from experience that it can quickly become fatiguing for me.

Of course I listen to a lot of classical music and even opera, so if my headphones have any sibilance at all the soprano will give me an ear full of it soon enough. :wink:

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #595 of 2,529
The US pads don't increase the treble, the Boost (pleather) pads do. The US pads decrease the mid bass. Not everyone lacks really sparkly treble. That's my main reason for not being a fan of the Focsl Utopia. Too much trenle for me. The boost pads are at the limit of what I'll be okay with. The US pads have trenle levels that I like for instruments. Granted, ut can also depend on your source. I'm playing music through the Dragonfly Red, which is a clear, somewhat bright DAC, with present, extended, but not booking bass, so that's what I'm also working with. YMMV

I mistakenly thought the Boost pads were meant to boost the bass only. I'll go back and forth with both sets of pads a bit more (and sources), but I don't think either is going to make the NightOwl an easy recommendation at its price. Good to have on hand for the treble-sensitive, though.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #597 of 2,529
I mistakenly thought the Boost pads were meant to boost the bass only. I'll go back and forth with both sets of pads a bit more (and sources), but I don't think either is going to make the NightOwl an easy recommendation at its price. Good to have on hand for the treble-sensitive, though.
I don't disagree with the easy recommendation part, because we all hear differently. Like I've started before. Couldn't stand the treble on the Utopia, and absolutely HATE Stax sound. Meze 99 have sweet mids and lows, but are too bright for me, which is why I picked V-Moda Crossfade 2 over 99C as my portable. A little more bass and slightly reduced treble in comparison, but still present and sweet sounding. Audioquest is my preferred sound only second to Abyss Phi, but I don't have Phi money. The boost pads do not increase the bass from the audioquest set normal. US pads decrease bass, hybrid pads are Audioquest flat response, and Boost pads are their flat response bass with boosted treble. Not to say flat in general, but hybrid pads are seen as the baseline. Waiting to receive those, as I enjoy Boost bass, and US lack of boosted treble. Will post impressions

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #598 of 2,529
Does anyone have any experience with the NO cables at the following links posted below? The reason that I am asking is because I do not think that I can wait four weeks for a set from Impact Audio. Excuse my ignorance, but can I use a balanced headphone cable even if I am not running an audio source with a balanced output? For example, a cd player or an iPhone 6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-A...703006?hash=item1a242744de:g:YPsAAOSwUKxYgXNo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-A...977149?hash=item1a2fac65fd:g:kqYAAOSwbiFZW5Zc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-A...345249?hash=item1a24128d21:g:kqYAAOSwbiFZW5Zc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triton-Audi...242565?hash=item3aea9cb885:g:Vv0AAOSw44BYOUnn

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #599 of 2,529
VERY INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT, FOR ME!
Anone who's been following the last few messages should be aware that we are discussing best listening for treble sensitive people. I'm one of those individuals who does not like Bright headphones. Meze 99 and Focal Utopia included. Best treble for me was the US pads. Sounded great with instrumental music. I used the Boost pads for popular, Hip hop, R&B Country, Rock, basically anything else that benefited from some nice bass. Problem was I had to lower volume a bit to be comfortable with treble from boost pads. As a background I play music through the Dragonfly Red, detailed pound, a little bright, in a good way, tight controlled bass, but not booming. To better remedy the lack of bass due to volume, I added a headphone amp to the chain. Switched back and forth between Fiio 11 & Cayin C5. The Fiio allowed me to use the bass boost as it focused on the lower range. Problem was, the mids and treble really suffered in comparison to just using the Dragonfly Red. The Cayin C5 also presented an overall warmer sound signature, but detail was still good, not quite as good as straight from DFR, but good nonetheless. Issue has to do with bass boost. It severely affected the mid-range freq. So settled on using Caying C5, in normal mode. Ordered and just received the Original Nighthawk Hybrid pads, that I ordered. What a difference! Good bass performance like the boost pads, but without the treble spike, allowing for greater volume and as a result bigger sounding bass. Adding the Cayin C5 in the line, a little extra bass felt, NEGLIGIBLE AMOUNT. The big difference is that with the hybrid pads with the Cayin C5 in line, the treble is too recessed. Detail is hurt on voices, instruments, etc. Removing the Cayin C5, not playing straight from the Dragonfly Red, the treble is detailed, crisp, but not spiky. The bass is deep, detailed, tight, boomy when necessary from hard hitting tracks. The hybrid pads cobined with the Dragonfly as my DAC have given me the sound I was hoping for. These pads are the only ones I need. Full frequency range sounds just like I would want from these headphones. I was a huge fan of the original Nighthawk. I really wanted closed back. Nightowl, hybrid pads, Dragonfly Red for the win!

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #600 of 2,529
There is a difference between the Hybrid pads and the Pleather ones to my ears. Hybrids sound more like speakers, with the most open soundstage of the three. Of course, sounding like speakers means a small dip in the mids, which completely freaks out people who want the HD650 sound. Pleather pads raise the dip in the mids and sound more like a "normal" headphone. Me, I went back and forth for a few days, and decided I like the Hybrids better.
I'm right with you. Read post 599 for a detailed comparison of the 3 pads. Hybrid all the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back