AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #616 of 2,528
I ordered Hybrid Pads from Audioquest directly and what I received were the Boost Pads :neutral_face:. It's been interesting comparing these to the US pads which came with my Nightowl, and I can't say I like the boost pads. Too much treble, not worth the bass "boost". The US are also much comfier imo. Now it's time to order the hybrid pads, for real, and I'm expecting it to be just what I've been wanting.
So, any update on your journey to obtain the hybrid pads? If you got them in, could you share your thoughts. I personally don't like boosted treble. I really loved THE ORIGINAL Nighthawk. Wanted the new cable and closed back cans. Liked the Night owl, didn't enjoy the treble on Boost pads. Didn't sound right with instrumental music. LOVE the Nightowl with the hybrid. MY perfect close back

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #617 of 2,528
So, any update on your journey to obtain the hybrid pads? If you got them in, could you share your thoughts. I personally don't like boosted treble. I really loved THE ORIGINAL Nighthawk. Wanted the new cable and closed back cans. Liked the Night owl, didn't enjoy the treble on Boost pads. Didn't sound right with instrumental music. LOVE the Nightowl with the hybrid. MY perfect close back
Yo, I have not gotten the hybrid pads yet. I just bought a house and moved my family this past month so my time with the NightOwls has suffered :triportsad: I just sent audioquest an email to purchase the pads (thanks for reminding me:L3000:) so hopefully I'll have them in hand next week. My new toy, CA Vega, has been taking all the ear time I do have. IEMs are very convenient when carrying boxes and cleaning.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #618 of 2,528
Yo, I have not gotten the hybrid pads yet. I just bought a house and moved my family this past month so my time with the NightOwls has suffered :triportsad: I just sent audioquest an email to purchase the pads (thanks for reminding me:L3000:) so hopefully I'll have them in hand next week. My new toy, CA Vega, has been taking all the ear time I do have. IEMs are very convenient when carrying boxes and cleaning.
I'm not an I'm fan, HOWEVER I do not like using my portable over ears (V-moda Crossfade 2) if I'm going to be sweating. That is an instance where I certainly will put out the iems to reduce my heat production. Spent all my money on those 2 cana, so my iems are Chinese, but decent sound. Congratulations on the new house. It's a wonderful step in life, hoping to get there in the near future myself. Well when you get a chance to get them and listen, please remember me and post a detailed impression. I'm really interested to hear what others think about the combination.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #619 of 2,528
I'm not an I'm fan, HOWEVER I do not like using my portable over ears (V-moda Crossfade 2) if I'm going to be sweating. That is an instance where I certainly will put out the iems to reduce my heat production. Spent all my money on those 2 cana, so my iems are Chinese, but decent sound. Congratulations on the new house. It's a wonderful step in life, hoping to get there in the near future myself. Well when you get a chance to get them and listen, please remember me and post a detailed impression. I'm really interested to hear what others think about the combination.
Thanks! I will definitely update you when I get them.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #621 of 2,528
Which headphone were they on?

The hybrid pads came with the original Nighthawks (brown wood look) which I have - not the carbon version that is the same color as the NightOwl. They were the only pads included with the Nighthawks at that time. Now the new carbon Nighthawk ships with the Ultrasuede and the Protein leather (aka Boost). Some users say that those hybrid pads were partly responsible for the "magic" that many people were feeling. When the new pads were announced, Skylar said in the Nighthawk thread that he was enjoying the Ultrasuede at that time. I like the hybrid and the ultrasuede. I put the ultrasuede on mine this summer because they seemed cooler to me for summer. I cannot tell you what if anything changed soundwise. I just get into enjoying my music and try not to overanalyze. I have not tried the Boost ones.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #622 of 2,528
The hybrid pads came with the original Nighthawks (brown wood look) which I have - not the carbon version that is the same color as the NightOwl. They were the only pads included with the Nighthawks at that time. Now the new carbon Nighthawk ships with the Ultrasuede and the Protein leather (aka Boost). Some users say that those hybrid pads were partly responsible for the "magic" that many people were feeling. When the new pads were announced, Skylar said in the Nighthawk thread that he was enjoying the Ultrasuede at that time. I like the hybrid and the ultrasuede. I put the ultrasuede on mine this summer because they seemed cooler to me for summer. I cannot tell you what if anything changed soundwise. I just get into enjoying my music and try not to overanalyze. I have not tried the Boost ones.

I must admit I do enjoy the feel of the Ultrasuede earpads, but it takes out the low end in the music I listen to. The boost pads can be a little too hot in the treble. I am interested in trying to find the hybrids. I emailed the sales rep again with the info you provided. BIG THANKS! I got my fingers crossed for ordering information.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #623 of 2,528
I must admit I do enjoy the feel of the Ultrasuede earpads, but it takes out the low end in the music I listen to. The boost pads can be a little too hot in the treble. I am interested in trying to find the hybrids. I emailed the sales rep again with the info you provided. BIG THANKS! I got my fingers crossed for ordering information.

It does sound like the original hybrid pads are best for you. Personally I did not think the low end was missing with the ultrasuede. Surely not the entire low end! Maybe I should listen closer...or not. Keep in mind that I have the Hawks not the Owls. When I bought them I wanted the more laid back, non fatiguing signature that people were describing. As for treble, I would not like hot treble. Hope you can order the hybrids. I will probably put mine back on in the winter.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #624 of 2,528
I originally contacted the area rep and he wasn't able to help me so I called the audioquest phone number on their website and spoke with a British fellow who then was able to provide me with the email to order them. Not the easiest way to go about things but that's how they do it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #625 of 2,528
It does sound like the original hybrid pads are best for you. Personally I did not think the low end was missing with the ultrasuede. Surely not the entire low end! Maybe I should listen closer...or not. Keep in mind that I have the Hawks not the Owls. When I bought them I wanted the more laid back, non fatiguing signature that people were describing. As for treble, I would not like hot treble. Hope you can order the hybrids. I will probably put mine back on in the winter.
The ultrasuede definitely is reduced in the midbass region. The sub bass is still there,ut with most popular music, the majority of the bass is found in the lower midbass region. Vocals are a little thinner in comparison to the Boost or hybrids. Ultrasuede is more natural sounding than the Boost pads, especially on instrument based music. The boosted treble makes instruments such as horns and guitars sound a bit artificial. Thats is how i feel about many treble boosted cans. The hybrid pads are perfect IMO. They are the reason I fell in love with the Original NIghthawk, though I wasn't able to purchase at the time. And they are the reason I am NOW just as in love with the Nightowl

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #626 of 2,528
The hybrid pads are perfect IMO. They are the reason I fell in love with the Original NIghthawk, though I wasn't able to purchase at the time. And they are the reason I am NOW just as in love with the Nightowl

I will put the hybrid back on at some point. As I said, the ultrasuede has felt cooler in the summer weather. I am concerned about how sweat might react with the protein leather. I wonder if we should wipe them with a damp cloth after use.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #627 of 2,528
I will put the hybrid back on at some point. As I said, the ultrasuede has felt cooler in the summer weather. I am concerned about how sweat might react with the protein leather. I wonder if we should wipe them with a damp cloth after use.

I wipe my boost pads off if I begin sweating. It's the ultrasuede that can get gross quickly if it's not maintained.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #628 of 2,528
I wipe my boost pads off if I begin sweating. It's the ultrasuede that can get gross quickly if it's not maintained.

I am worried about protein leather, real leather or vinyl peeling or flaking in the future and would like prevent that. I think ultrasuede or velour could be washed if needed. I need to find tips on maintenance. Sweating is probably not the only worry. We have natural body oils that can react with things. Also lotions and other products used on the face by men or women. Hair products as well. I have seen the state of pads that are 5 or 10 years old...

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #629 of 2,528
I have been quite pleased and satisfied with my AQ Nightowl Carbon's for the past month. I am contemplating the addition of the original Nighthawks to my collection. Is there a big enough sonic difference between the two to warrant such a purchase? What, if any, are the major differences? Of course, the former is a closed-back and the latter is semi-open. At the very least, that would mean that the NH's should have a bigger soundstage. How much bigger is the question? Another example would be that the original NH's came with classic(hybrid) pads. Would the use of hybrid pads on my NO's narrow the gap with the NH's? For those who own both NO's and NH's, what do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #630 of 2,528
I have been quite pleased and satisfied with my AQ Nightowl Carbon's for the past month. I am contemplating the addition of the original Nighthawks to my collection. Is there a big enough sonic difference between the two to warrant such a purchase? What, if any, are the major differences? Of course, the former is a closed-back and the latter is semi-open. At the very least, that would mean that the NH's should have a bigger soundstage. How much bigger is the question? Another example would be that the original NH's came with classic(hybrid) pads. Would the use of hybrid pads on my NO's narrow the gap with the NH's? For those who own both NO's and NH's, what do you think? Any input would be very much appreciated.
I own all the pads. Was a Nighthawk lover. Spent hours on many days in Best Buy listening to my music on the Nighthawks. Purchased Nightowl. Liked them a lot but wasn't a fan of the treble. The hybrid pads open the soundstage up a bit and bring the sound signature close to the Nighthawk Wood sound. Honestly you won't be missing a great deal if you purchase the hybrid pads as opposed to purchasing the Original Nighthawk Wood. Yes the Nighthawk has a larger soundstage, but $50 for pads vs $400 for the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back