AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 9, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #2,521 of 2,528
I almost don't want to tell anyone this and keep it to myself...

https://joeaudio.co.uk/products/audioquest-spare-pads-for-nighthawk-earphones

A year or two ago, Joe Audio were selling these pads on ebay. I picked up two pairs at the time, without doubt they were official. But although the picture was for hybrid, they were pleather.

I've picked up a pair last week directly from Joe Audio (they're no longer selling them via Amazon). They arrived the other day. They're the hybrid pad. I emailed the company to confim whether or not they're 1st or 3rd party, I didn't get a reply as of yet. But having owned the hybrid several times previously, and also owning both pleather and suede official pads now, I'm 99% certain these are genuine Audioquest. They sound great, they feel exactly like the others. If they're not, then the're the closet thing you're ever going to find to them.

Just like the pads that came with the headphone, they're narrower at the front edge, thicker on the back. The 3rd party pads I've seen are the same thickness all round. The stiching is the same, as is the fixing plate. The only difference I can spot is a lack of L and R marking on the inner fabric. But I don't know if that was on all of the Audioquest earpads from start to end of production.

Excuse the dust on the pads, I couldn't be bothered wiping them for the photograph, and my office needs a dust.

PXL_20240409_140523371.jpg
PXL_20240409_140602760.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #2,522 of 2,528
I almost don't want to tell anyone this and keep it to myself...

https://joeaudio.co.uk/products/audioquest-spare-pads-for-nighthawk-earphones

A year or two ago, Joe Audio were selling these pads on ebay. I picked up two pairs at the time, without doubt they were official. But although the picture was for hybrid, they were pleather.

I've picked up a pair last week directly from Joe Audio (they're no longer selling them via Amazon). They arrived the other day. They're the hybrid pad. I emailed the company to confim whether or not they're 1st or 3rd party, I didn't get a reply as of yet. But having owned the hybrid several times previously, and also owning both pleather and suede official pads now, I'm 99% certain these are genuine Audioquest. They sound great, they feel exactly like the others. If they're not, then the're the closet thing you're ever going to find to them.

Just like the pads that came with the headphone, they're narrower at the front edge, thicker on the back. The 3rd party pads I've seen are the same thickness all round. The stiching is the same, as is the fixing plate. The only difference I can spot is a lack of L and R marking on the inner fabric. But I don't know if that was on all of the Audioquest earpads from start to end of production.

Excuse the dust on the pads, I couldn't be bothered wiping them for the photograph, and my office needs a dust.

PXL_20240409_140523371.jpgPXL_20240409_140602760.jpg.
Damn I'm jealous! I ordered through that same link last year and simply received the pleather.

What's the material on the inner part of the earpads? If fabric then yep you have hybrids.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #2,523 of 2,528
Damn I'm jealous! I ordered through that same link last year and simply received the pleather.

What's the material on the inner part of the earpads? If fabric then yep you have hybrids.
It's a hybrid, the inner is suede. I just ordered another pair. Let's see what I get.

I actually wouldn't mind a pleather as it's my preferred.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #2,524 of 2,528
It's a hybrid, the inner is suede. I just ordered another pair. Let's see what I get.

I actually wouldn't mind a pleather as it's my preferred.
Well I am more than happy to trade you my unopened pleather pair if you want :wink:

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #2,526 of 2,528
If they're un-opened I might just take you up on that. The next pair should be here in a few days. I'll give you a shout when the time comes.
Legend!

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,527 of 2,528
I am listening to World Party; Arkeology. this is the type of sound where the owls/hawks come to the rescue. Less annoying hard treble and digital distortion. Easier to focus on the musical message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back