AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #526 of 2,528
ok, ok. After playing them for a couple more hours these headphones sound incredible! I have never worn such a comfortable set on my head. Does anybody know of a more portable case that I could get to make transporting them to work easier? I need to find a new cable from somewhere too, as the one that came with it is too thick and keeps knocking stuff off my desk!

When the original cable that came with my Nighthawks broke, I was sent that thick rubbery cable that comes with the NightOwls and the new Nighthawks. While it is a nice sturdy cable, I too have found it to be awkward and clumsy. I am now using this with no problem.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2M-1-8M...hash=item4b17ab75a1:m:mTIn-1NopJnOU1S91Nm0yCg I bought the 1.8m length but it also comes in 1.2m.

Not sure where you are located but just do a search for cables for Sennheiser HD 497 or HD212 or any of the others in that list. You will find that they are often the same cables that turn up when you search for HD 700 ones, but will cost less! Just make sure that the the one that you do choose has ends thin enough to fit into the recessed area on the cup. When this one is in place everything above the R L markings is inside that recessed area. Also think about what color those ends are... the part that shows. I wanted mine to be black as that, to me, looks the best with the original Nighthawk cups.

Mine came from China within a couple of weeks.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #528 of 2,528
When the original cable that came with my Nighthawks broke, I was sent that thick rubbery cable that comes with the NightOwls and the new Nighthawks. While it is a nice sturdy cable, I too have found it to be awkward and clumsy. I am now using this with no problem.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2M-1-8M...hash=item4b17ab75a1:m:mTIn-1NopJnOU1S91Nm0yCg I bought the 1.8m length but it also comes in 1.2m.

Not sure where you are located but just do a search for cables for Sennheiser HD 497 or HD212 or any of the others in that list. You will find that they are often the same cables that turn up when you search for HD 700 ones, but will cost less! Just make sure that the the one that you do choose has ends thin enough to fit into the recessed area on the cup. When this one is in place everything above the R L markings is inside that recessed area. Also think about what color those ends are... the part that shows. I wanted mine to be black as that, to me, looks the best with the original Nighthawk cups.

That's just what I'm looking for. Thanks. More listening done today, and they are getting even better. Incredible cans

Mine came from China within a couple of weeks.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #529 of 2,528
Anyone know where to purchase replacement ear pads? I've emailed audioquest and haven't heard back, and am unable to find anything inside the USA. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #530 of 2,528
Anyone know where to purchase replacement ear pads? I've emailed audioquest and haven't heard back, and am unable to find anything inside the USA. Thanks!

Audioquest briefly had them available through their website but now I think you have to order them through one of their dealers. I think they sold for about $50 a pair.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #532 of 2,528
I'm looking for someone that may want to get rid of their Suede earpads that came with their Carbons or Night Owls

This may not be the right place to ask but I figure this is the most likely place for me to get a pair of earpads. Please pm me if you have some you want to get rid of will pay 25.00 for a pair of them.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #533 of 2,528
I'm looking for someone that may want to get rid of their Suede earpads that came with their Carbons or Night Owls

This may not be the right place to ask but I figure this is the most likely place for me to get a pair of earpads. Please pm me if you have some you want to get rid of will pay 25.00 for a pair of them.

I just picked up a pair of these last Saturday. Mine came with both earpads. Did your set come with both or just the leather ones?

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #536 of 2,528
These are becoming better and better the more I use them. Highly recommended

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #537 of 2,528
Just when I thought I'd done away with upgrading stuff for the time-being after lé Elears, these bloody things have to pop up on the radar as a potential successor to the SRH1540s...
closed_eyes.gif

Jun 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #539 of 2,528
Hi

What is the consensus of opinion regarding the sound difference of the two sets ear pads included with the NightOwl?

Regards

Darren

The biggest differences I hear is the leather isn't as comfortable but still pretty good, they have more bass (a bit more punchy) and the treble is a bit more recessed/warm. The suede seems to be a bit more airy, tight bass but looses some of the sub bass and the highs seems to shine through just bit more.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #540 of 2,528
I don't think I stated it was terrible. I think I said it wasn't good for me as I found bass to take the upper hand. If you do quote me, please quote me correctly
wink.gif

"The Chord Mojo surprisingly wasn’t a good match to the NightHawk to my ears, as it resulted in a thick dark sound where bass got the best of it."

We all have different opinions and preferences. What I don't like you might, and the other way around. But the NightOwl, well.... that one simply rocks.
My initial impression with the NO and Mojo match yours, I did not like the pairing very much feeling the bass was too much and the quality of the bass suffered as well. I think with how the NO is voiced best not to try to put extra emphasis on the bass as it has a unique integration and messing with it seems to not be a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back