AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #511 of 2,528
Greetings all, long time lurker in the market for a good quality closed-back. I'm mildly cursed with big Dumbo ears, however. Everyone seems to agree on the Nightowl's general comfort, but are the pads any roomier than the PM-3's?

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #512 of 2,528
Yes they are, a bit more roomier and shaped to fit a human ear. That's not to say PM-3 is not comfortable but the Owls simply disappear as soon as you put them on. I own both and love them to bits for so many different reasons :)

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #513 of 2,528
Thanks sabloke for the reply - I'm intrigued by them partly because they seem to polarise opinion so much. They really appeal as a warmer compliment to my fairly neutral open-backs, and the comfort is a big factor.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #514 of 2,528
The NightOwls are great across all genres I listen to, but not as fun as some other closed-backs I have. I like to mix my playlists across genres, and the NOs respond well to that whereas my other closed-back will excel only in certain genres - acoustic and vocals, new age, jazz, modern rock, edm, etc. My only complaint is I wish it had just a tiny bit more punch.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #515 of 2,528
The NightOwls are great across all genres I listen to, but not as fun as some other closed-backs I have. I like to mix my playlists across genres, and the NOs respond well to that whereas my other closed-back will excel only in certain genres - acoustic and vocals, new age, jazz, modern rock, edm, etc. My only complaint is I wish it had just a tiny bit more punch.

How many hours of burn-in have you given them?

They do get quite a bit more punch/dynamics after the 150-200 hour mark.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #516 of 2,528
They have about 175 hours on them. I also have Denon AH-D600 and MM400 which both have more punch than the NOs when I A/B them with same source and song. Overall I really like the sound of the NOs, though, as they sound great across many genres. Just wish the kick drum was a little bit more pronounced.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #517 of 2,528
I can see the Denon having stronger hits. They are known for their murderous attack.

The NightOwls are a smoother listen, for sure, but they have more than their fair share of dynamism.

Glad you are liking them.

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #519 of 2,528
Mine arrived today. Wow they are so comfortable. Out of the box they sound good but different to any of my other headphones . I cant help picking them up all the time to listen to something else. Early days but I think these are real keepers

Jun 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #520 of 2,528
Mine arrived today. Wow they are so comfortable. Out of the box they sound good but different to any of my other headphones . I cant help picking them up all the time to listen to something else. Early days but I think these are real keepers

I too was impressed right out off the box. Even though they were way too mellow, the clarity, richness and timbre were evident. Then they get more dynamic, and you just go crazy for the sound.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #521 of 2,528
You were right though, a completly diferent sound to the meze 99's. Cant wait to give them more listening later today :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #522 of 2,528
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #523 of 2,528
ok, ok. After playing them for a couple more hours these headphones sound incredible! I have never worn such a comfortable set on my head. Does anybody know of a more portable case that I could get to make transporting them to work easier? I need to find a new cable from somewhere too, as the one that came with it is too thick and keeps knocking stuff off my desk!

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #524 of 2,528
I use the carry pouch. Just put them in there, stuff the pouch in my bag, and away I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back