AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Feb 2, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #226 of 2,528
Just to get back on track then - the Nightowls have finally landed on Australian shores and I jumped right in and ordered my pair. Hopefully have them next week. I owned the Nighthawk for over a year and really enjoyed them but sold them after getting the Ether C. I have really missed the musical engagement that they gave me so here's hoping that the Owls will do the same, but with a more balanced signature overall. As a woman audiophile there are only a handful of headphones which actually fit my small head - the Audioquests being the most comfortable ever. Wish headphone makers would be a bit more thoughtful and diverse in their thinking about customers. Thank you Skylar! 

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #227 of 2,528
@Tagjazz I don't have a large head either. The NO fits me well and is supremely comfortable. Also consider the upcoming Aeon from Mr. Speakers for comfort, weight and accommodating of averaged sized noggins. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #228 of 2,528
  @Tagjazz I don't have a large head either. The NO fits me well and is supremely comfortable. Also consider the upcoming Aeon from Mr. Speakers for comfort, weight and accommodating of averaged sized noggins. 

Thanks Matt, good to know. I really love my Ether C's but would jump on some open Aeons if they are planned and have a good sound. I really wanted to try the Elear but there is no way I can cope with the weight. Even the HD800's slip off my head. So few choices out there at this level!

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #229 of 2,528
  And BTW - so we don't continue this pointless debate.

• Yes  - apparently Skylar has said the US pads give a few less DB which means the ear pads have lower bass.

Yup,

If anyone's interested I outlined why this is physically happening in posting # 214 of this thread .

The low bass was already there just not as noticeable unless you're able to hear the parts of the music that were masked by the bass notes longer sound waves . (So the low bass is relative to hearing the greater contrast of the frequency spectrum) (It's plainly obvious how this is happening if you spend any time listening to recorded Orchestral music)

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #230 of 2,528
Hey, very sorry everyone for stepping in late for this earpad discussion. I've been in NY getting prepped for CanJam NYC which starts tomorrow.

I feel terrible that an argument erupted, and I have to take some blame. What I have said on these forums about the pads is what I believe to be most accurate. The documentation that ships with the Carbon models has a misprint in the quickstart guide concerning the sound signature of the earpads. So please ignore what we say in that section of the documentation. We have already implemented a running change.

My huge apologies for this; it was a proofreading mistake that I failed to catch.

I was recently PM'd about pads, and gave the reply below. This might offer some clarification.

Quote from SkylarGray:
As far as the sound characteristics, the Microsuede pads have a controlled leak, which will reduce bass response by 1 to 2 dB in the bottom octaves, but this is subjective. I am seeing somewhat conflicting reports of how people perceive the differences between the earpads. Ultimately, I think it comes down to differences in ear/face anatomy, differences in facial hair/head hair/eyewear/other obstructions, differences in hearing loss (all adults have some level of hearing loss), and differences in personal preference.

This is why I decided to offer two sets of pads in the new generation of "Carbon" headphones; it allows for experimentation, user-customization, and overall flexibility.

Here's a simplified chart that might help to understand the acoustic effects from a physical perspective; however, this chart cannot tell you how YOU may perceive the differences in pads. Use this only as a rough guideline.

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #233 of 2,528
It's subjective what people actually hear as to how things measure for a pretty simple reason.

The Spectrometer (or whatever the correct name of the device is) that's recording the graphs of the sound is way more precise at measuring the pulses that are being created than the human ear can ever be.

There are any number of things in Audio that measure just fine but may sound like "Ca Ca" in reality depending on the ear that's hearing it. !

Skylar & anyone else who's suggested it are right in saying the only really important measurement for using these pads is to use the pads that your own ears are subjectively saying they're moving the sound in the direction you want them to ! .

There's no "Better" or "Best" in our Audio listening Hobby only what our own ears tell us. (That saying about why you shouldn't assume anything is entirely true)

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #238 of 2,528
I have tried the Sine with several after market pads. It doesn't really have the Audeze house sound IMO. Yes, NO is better as well it should with the price difference. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #240 of 2,528
  Can anyone tell me if these are good for portable use. And what is a good price for it? like second hand price or discount

You are aware that this is for the most part a just recently released new headphone..... Weren't you ???

Being that it's this new, it's unlikely you'll find Retailers that will be discounting it already. The original NH started appearing discounted when these "Carbon" models started appearing, but at this point a lot of retail stores haven't yet seen the NO & NH Carbon models yet.

As efficient as any of the AQ headphones are , I can't imagine that there would be anything that wouldn't be able to drive them (It will be much easier to find an original model NH at a discounted price )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back