AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,231 of 10,194
They do sound natural. Did the nightowl sound natural when you compared them?

You know, I'll be transparent and admit that they didn't. They shared similar DNA but had more "conventional" tuning to my ears. I'm struggling to remember if they had the pleather or velour pads. If it was velour, then I can see what was going on. And yes, that might be a hint for later :wink:

I will also say that I need to get some more time with Nightowl + Nighthawk and do some pad swapping before passing final judgment. And I'll also add that Tyll and I heard these back to back, and we disagree about which we preferred :p

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #4,232 of 10,194
You know, I'll be transparent and admit that they didn't. They shared similar DNA but had more "conventional" tuning to my ears. I'm struggling to remember if they had the pleather or velour pads. If it was velour, then I can see what was going on. And yes, that might be a hint for later :wink:

I will also say that I need to get some more time with Nightowl + Nighthawk and do some pad swapping before passing final judgment. And I'll also add that Tyll and I heard these back to back, and we disagree about which we preferred :p

I really like the NightHawk and would like that sound in a closed back. Tighter bass would be ok if it remained a thicker sound, but the increase in upper mids worries me. I already find the 650s shouty at times.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #4,233 of 10,194
I really like the NightHawk and would like that sound in a closed back. Tighter bass would be ok if it remained a thicker sound, but the increase in upper mids worries me. I already find the 650s shouty at times.

You'd have to try them to see if they strike you as shouty. I didn't think they were shouty, but we're all different. They definitely aren't as full / thick as Nighthawks, though and I think that's going to bring in a lot of new fans for AudioQuest who thought Nighthawk sounded too thick.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #4,234 of 10,194
You'd have to try them to see if they strike you as shouty. I didn't think they were shouty, but we're all different. They definitely aren't as full / thick as Nighthawks, though and I think that's going to bring in a lot of new fans for AudioQuest who thought Nighthawk sounded too thick.
Any other closed cans with a thicker presentation you have heard?

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #4,237 of 10,194
Lcdxc, but price and weight are prohibitive. The new zmf flagships are supposed to be warmer too, but 3 month wait scares me off.

I've avoided Audeze so far. Not sure my marriage would survive TOTL headphone prices, lol.

I heard the new ZMF headphones at RMAF. They were good, but I didn't go back for a second listen like I did with Nighthawk. And you know which I chose to spend my money on :wink:

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #4,238 of 10,194
I could not pass up a pair of NightHawks at the price Audio Advisor has them for. I want to compare them with my Z7's. Or as a guy that I respect his opinions on most issues here calls them, fart cannons !

These 'fart cannons' aren't bad I reckon. Certainly a stronger bass response than the 'hawks.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #4,240 of 10,194
Anyone know where I can get a longer cable that fits the Nighthawks?
I need about 8ft from my amp to my sofa.

Oppo makes a pretty long one, I don't know if it's 8 feet, but it fits the NH

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4,243 of 10,194
Not a big fan of the boosted treble. I had the thx00 and found it bright. Also, massdrop is horrible to buy from for international customers.

Massdrop is pretty rough in general. :p

I'm not a fan of buying something for slightly less money that I then I have to wait 3 months for. I'll snag it on Amazon and have it a day or two later thanks.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #4,244 of 10,194
Massdrop is pretty rough in general. :p

I'm not a fan of buying something for slightly less money that I then I have to wait 3 months for. I'll snag it on Amazon and have it a day or two later thanks.

I don't mind waiting for a deal. What I don't like is the taxes, FedEx fees, duties, etc that I get nailed with. Then if there is an issue I need to pay to ship it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back