AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #4,247 of 10,196
Not a big fan of the boosted treble. I had the thx00 and found it bright. Also, massdrop is horrible to buy from for international customers.

Listened to Fostex and Emu at RMAF and totally agree with your assessment regarding boosted treble. They can get a bit too piercing for long term listening.

I think you'll like Nightowl + Pleathers. I don't think I've heard that combination yet, but I've got this feeling you know :wink:

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4,248 of 10,196
I don't mind waiting for a deal. What I don't like is the taxes, FedEx fees, duties, etc that I get nailed with. Then if there is an issue I need to pay to ship it back.

+1, I will never buy anything else from Massdrop.

I bought another pair of HD650 from Amazon UK last week and I paid a total of $390 CAD.  (Customs and shipping included.)

With Massdrop, I'm pretty sure that the total for the HD6XX would have been very close to what I have paid for the HD650.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #4,250 of 10,196
My recommendation would be to go with the Meze 99 and the new pads if it's just for the office and traveling.

I'm using the Hawks/HD650 at home and the Meze at the office.

bavinck has some nice IEM for when serious isolation matters. 99 Classics are a good recommend, though.

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #4,251 of 10,196
I just got the NH yesterday, and am really starting to appreciate them big time.  I'll be honest and say I am pretty skeptical of "burn in" - if some change happens for the better, that's great...but they seem pretty satisfying to me right now.   Not to mention the fit, comfort and finish being top class.

I also have the Meze 99 and they are like the boisterous and lively little brother to the NH.   The NH is the mature and sophisticated sibling.  It's an interesting pairing. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #4,252 of 10,196
@bavinck has some nice IEM for when serious isolation matters. 99 Classics are a good recommend, though.

Ok then maybe he should go with the NightOwl.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of closed headphones but the Meze are perfect for the office and traveling.  I wouldn't be able to live with just the Meze at home. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4,253 of 10,196
  I also have the Meze 99 and they are like the boisterous and lively little brother to the NH.   The NH is the mature and sophisticated sibling.  It's an interesting pairing. 

+1, well said 
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #4,254 of 10,196
bavinck has some nice IEM for when serious isolation matters. 99 Classics are a good recommend, though.

Ya, iems are really bothering my inner ear so I am moving away from them and need a good closed can. I have been using the Nighthawks at work all week without any complaints....

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #4,255 of 10,196
Listened to Fostex and Emu at RMAF and totally agree with your assessment regarding boosted treble. They can get a bit too piercing for long term listening.

I think you'll like Nightowl + Pleathers. I don't think I've heard that combination yet, but I've got this feeling you know :wink:

YtseJamer has heard the Nighthawks and new pads. He could tell you about sonic changes as it seems like you think the sonic changes between nighthawk and Nightowl are more to do with pads.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,256 of 10,196
Ya, iems are really bothering my inner ear so I am moving away from them and need a good closed can. I have been using the Nighthawks at work all week without any complaints....

Ah. That's why you've been interested in the ADEL IEM lately, eh?

@YtseJamer has heard the Nighthawks and new pads. He could tell you about sonic changes as it seems like you think the sonic changes between nighthawk and Nightowl are more to do with pads.

I've been PMing him a bit to see if our thoughts line up. It seems they do, which is good because it seems that we're headphone brothers from different mothers, lol. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,258 of 10,196
I wonder if the price will drop even lower than $348 on Black Friday or Cyber Monday (assuming there's still available stock)

I would try to msg/email each of the retailers(there appear to be several that are all offering them at $348) and see if they will accept an even lower offer.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,259 of 10,196
I just got the NH yesterday, and am really starting to appreciate them big time.  I'll be honest and say I am pretty skeptical of "burn in" - if some change happens for the better, that's great...but they seem pretty satisfying to me right now.   Not to mention the fit, comfort and finish being top class.

Sounds like you, YtseJamer, and I should form a club for 99 Classics + NH owners, lol :p

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4,260 of 10,196
Not a big fan of the boosted treble. I had the thx00 and found it bright. Also, massdrop is horrible to buy from for international customers.

I also found X00's treble too much and piercing. NH is very gentle to the eardrums. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back