AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #4,201 of 10,196
I'm really enjoying my new Nighthawks. I have never heard so much detail in every song I listen to in any other headphone and I have tried quite a few.

I'm also just listening straight through my iPhone 6s Plus. I did that with the other headphones I've had and tried before but also have used amps and dacs and all of that but never had as much detail as this NH just through my iPhone.

This is seriously getting too crazy each time I listen to these things.

I have a dragonfly black coming in tomorrow and I'm worried they just can't any better than I'm hearing them right now but I really hope the little dragonfly will make some kind of a difference. I just hope it doesn't make them any warmer sounding.

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #4,202 of 10,196
nmatheis
Hey man, thanks for clarification! Interesting that these have a slight angle...I knew they looked strange :)
I would be interested in a comparison of the AQ Velour pads against Brainwavz HM5 Velour pads , ether straight or angled... or preferably both :D
Would help me decide if it was worth waiting for AQ pads.

Cheers

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #4,203 of 10,196
/Rant

I love the Hawks, I hate the cable. Terrible. There's a snag in it and I don't recall ever catching it on anything. Also, the 1/4" adapter is not working out of the box. I tried it for the first time with the Liquid Gold and DAVE and it gives a weird sound like I'm underwater with both jacks. The 3.5mm is fine and works with all my other adapters. I think this may be the first headphone that I purchase a new cable for. Really a shame considering. What the screw was AQ thinking when they made this cable. I read about the cable before, but man.

/End rant

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #4,204 of 10,196
/Rant

I love the Hawks, I hate the cable. Terrible. There's a snag in it and I don't recall ever catching it on anything. Also, the 1/4" adapter is not working out of the box. I tried it for the first time with the Liquid Gold and DAVE and it gives a weird sound like I'm underwater with both jacks. The 3.5mm is fine and works with all my other adapters. I think this may be the first headphone that I purchase a new cable for. Really a shame considering. What the screw was AQ thinking when they made this cable. I read about the cable before, but man.

/End rant

I share your feelings, and I think we are not alone.

I would really appreciate a cable replacement from AQ to Previous NH owners for the new NH cable. The old cable is a bad joke. (Although it sounds nice, when it works.)
If course I know, such replacement won't happen.

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #4,205 of 10,196
/Rant

/End rant

I had the same problem with both the cable and the 1/4 adapter. I just bought cables off Amazon for like $19.98 each.

They use the same cables as the Oppo PM-1 and Sennheiser HD700, but also the Sol Republic HD. Something strange, if you search HD700 or Oppo the cable will come up for $49 all the way to $119, but if you search for Sol Republic you get exactly the same cable brand name and all for as low as $11.99, lol.

*edit*

A few options:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00LMAAS0Y/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776166&sr=8-43&keywords=sol+republic+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00PZGT9A6/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776056&sr=8-30-spons&keywords=sol+republic+cable&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Upgrade-Republic-Master-Headphone/dp/B01G878JO2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776056&sr=8-17&keywords=sol+republic+cable

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Republic-Master-Tracks-Headphone/dp/B00YI89ZQ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478775968&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sol+republic+cable&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776301&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd700+cable

https://www.amazon.com/copper-Replacement-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B012KD6T5Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1478776301&sr=8-8&keywords=sennheiser+hd700+cable

Of course all this is unnecessary if the new Audioquest cable kicks ass and I'll definitely be getting several if that's the case

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #4,206 of 10,196
I had the same problem with both the cable and the 1/4 adapter. I just bought cables off Amazon for like $19.98 each.

They use the same cables as the Oppo PM-1 and Sennheiser HD700, but also the Sol Republic HD. Something strange, if you search HD700 or Oppo the cable will come up for $49 all the way to $119, but if you search for Sol Republic you get exactly the same cable brand name and all for as low as $11.99, lol.

Yeah, it's a common connector and easy to find replacements. It's been said many times already in this thread but do we really need to replace our brand new cables because the stock ones are poorly made, especially considering the company.

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4,207 of 10,196
Yeah, it's a common connector and easy to find replacements. It's been said many times already in this thread but do we really need to replace our brand new cables because the stock ones are poorly made, especially considering the company.

We seem to have no choice. It is a hassle, and I also find it ridiculous.
NH however worth every hassle for me. These are amazing headphones.

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,208 of 10,196
Yeah the cable situation seems to be a hassle.
I had no such problems with the Cable.
Still I decided to invest the savings from the retail price (399€) for a new cable. I went for the FAW Noir Hybrid, which is slated to arrive tomorrow.
Will report back on sound and ergonomics.
BTW 399€ was a great deal back in the beginning of October :)

So anyone interested in a just burned in AQ cable?

Cheers

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #4,209 of 10,196
nmatheis
Hey man, thanks for clarification! Interesting that these have a slight angle...I knew they looked strange :)
I would be interested in a comparison of the AQ Velour pads against Brainwavz HM5 Velour pads , ether straight or angled... or preferably both :D
Would help me decide if it was worth waiting for AQ pads.

Cheers

+1. I'm also looking forward to the hm5 vs aq velour comparisons.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #4,213 of 10,196
Got the NH in today, as I could not pass up the great deal ($328) and I plan on giving them a lengthy audition.  I had them last December 2015 and decided to return them, but looking back I probably didn't give them a fair chance to blossom at the time.  Just opened the box and realized again how beautifully designed and comfortable they are...I think I prefer this original wood finish than the carbon coming out.  If I decide to keep them, I guess I'll have the ability to purchase cable and micro-suede pads separately anyway.   Will report back with impressions later on....

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #4,214 of 10,196
  Got the NH in today, as I could not pass up the great deal ($328) and I plan on giving them a lengthy audition.  I had them last December 2015 and decided to return them, but looking back I probably didn't give them a fair chance to blossom at the time.  Just opened the box and realized again how beautifully designed and comfortable they are...I think I prefer this original wood finish than the carbon coming out.  If I decide to keep them, I guess I'll have the ability to purchase cable and micro-suede pads separately anyway.   Will report back with impressions later on....

Congrat 
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #4,215 of 10,196
  Got a long overdue night out to listen to live music in a small venue, unplugged. We saw a jazz/blues singer named Madeleine Peryoux. What a great talent and she is, and at times, mezmorizing. Of course I couldn't help but analyze the acoustics. Funny thing was I'd have to say that overall, the headphone that I own that most faithfully reproduced the sonics of the live performance was the Nighthawk, especially from the mids on up. I admit that there is some artificial bloom in the bass that isn't there in real life. But that makes for a more enjoyable experience for me if I'm being honest. 

There are some qualities about the sr007 that capture instruments, especially the guitar better than the NH. There is a delicacy and refinement of the guitar that the NH just doesn't quite pull off in a convincing way. Not like the Stax. It may have something to do with the decay of the sr007 that more closely reproduces what I heard live. Put the NH and Stax together and you'd have something that would very closely mimic a live acoustic performance. 

Must be nice to have name brand talent close by.

Listening to Careless Love by Maeleine Peryoux 24-96 and the NH's do the album so well, and as everyone says they simply get better with the hours of play.  

These are some of the most comfortable listenable HPs I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back