AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #211 of 2,514
Quote:
Sorry, this is incorrect.

Just passing on what I was told by AQ. I could have misinterpreted. I am not a scientist, I am an audio lover...
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #212 of 2,514
Jul 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #213 of 2,514
Got my Dragonfly last week. 
Compared to the headphone out on my iMac, the Dragonfly sounds much fuller with better bass and a wider soundstage. I have only tried it with my JH Audio 16's and then with some cheap earbuds when I brought it to a friend's house. Even with the cheap buds, my friend and I both easily heard the improvement over the headphone jack on her laptop.

Great little device.
One neat thing I've also noticed with the Dragonfly is when I use Pure Music (up sampling off) and I select a track with a different bit rate, the Dragonfly will do a quick fade out / fade in between tracks rather than a click or pop that I get with some other brands of DAC's. 
Nice!

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #214 of 2,514
Quote:
Got my Dragonfly last week. 
Compared to the headphone out on my iMac, the Dragonfly sounds much fuller with better bass and a wider soundstage. I have only tried it with my JH Audio 16's and then with some cheap earbuds when I brought it to a friend's house. Even with the cheap buds, my friend and I both easily heard the improvement over the headphone jack on her laptop.

Great little device.
One neat thing I've also noticed with the Dragonfly is when I use Pure Music (up sampling off) and I select a track with a different bit rate, the Dragonfly will do a quick fade out / fade in between tracks rather than a click or pop that I get with some other brands of DAC's. 
Nice!

My DragonFly came in last week to try and unfortunately, I found out there is a known driver problem and it does not work with all versions of MS Vista.  They are aware of the problem and even shipped a DragonFly to MS but had no time table for a fix.  Right now the only solution would be to upgrade operating systems to WIN7 or probably more cost effective is to get a new laptop.  Disappointed that I didn't get a chance to audition this.  I am not yet sure what I want to do.  

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #215 of 2,514
Quote:
My DragonFly came in last week to try and unfortunately, I found out there is a known driver problem and it does not work with all versions of MS Vista.  They are aware of the problem and even shipped a DragonFly to MS but had no time table for a fix.  Right now the only solution would be to upgrade operating systems to WIN7 or probably more cost effective is to get a new laptop.  Disappointed that I didn't get a chance to audition this.  I am not yet sure what I want to do.  

I upgraded an old Vista laptop to Win7 a while back.  It's a relatively painless process.  May be the easiest solution.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #216 of 2,514
Quote:

I upgraded an old Vista laptop to Win7 a while back.  It's a relatively painless process.  May be the easiest solution.

I have the disk to upgrade but I was told I needed to start from scratch rather than upgrade so I haven't done it as a result.  I didn't want to go through all the reinstalls of the software.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #217 of 2,514
I don't know if this was posted before, but it looks like it's incompatible with USB 3.0 ports.  I recently built a new PC and when I plugged it in, I got a blue screen of death and DRIVER_IRQUL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.  I hope AQ can do something about this, 'cause half of my USB ports are USB 3.0.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #218 of 2,514
I'm using it with the USB 3.0 ports on my MacBook Retina and it works fine.  USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.  I wonder if there might be another problem with your computer?

I love this DAC/Amp combo.  The sharpness of impact is better than my Centrance DACPort but the sound can feel congested up top.  I'm using JH16Pros.  I favor this sound signature so I'll be selling the DACPort.

How do people set these up with their MacBooks?  I followed the instructions that came with it which recommend using the iTunes audio volume to manage the sound, but I'm having a better time with just the overall computer volume level.  The DACPort used to disable the overall volume level so that you could control it via the dial on the device.

I get to a respectably loud level on the MacBook on 3/16 on the volume meter!  Any more and I would blow out my ears.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #219 of 2,514
That seems to be a bit limiting in terms of fine volume control.  3 steps and you're off the bridge 
eek.gif

This thread is making it tough to not pull the trigger on one of these DFs.  Might need to get one of these before my next long trip.  

Quote:
I get to a respectably loud level on the MacBook on 3/16 on the volume meter!  Any more and I would blow out my ears.

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #221 of 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by utdeep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do people set these up with their MacBooks?  I followed the instructions that came with it which recommend using the iTunes audio volume to manage the sound, but I'm having a better time with just the overall computer volume level.  The DACPort used to disable the overall volume level so that you could control it via the dial on the device.

Ideally you should use the system volume control, as that controls the Dragonfly's internal analogue volume control.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #222 of 2,514
Quote:

I love this DAC/Amp combo.  The sharpness of impact is better than my Centrance DACPort but the sound can feel congested up top.  I'm using JH16Pros.  I favor this sound signature so I'll be selling the DACPort.

Give it some more burn in time. It opened up more after 200 hours or so and It really has cleaned up the treble. Sounds great with the HD650's.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #223 of 2,514
Quote:

Can you do the Shift-Option-VOL+/- like you normally can (w/o the DF)?

Yeah, it works fine.  

Interestingly enough when I had the volume all the way down to nothing the DF was still audible.  I had to hit the mute button to get silence.

Also it had a delay that would have preferred to do without... if you move the volume up aggressively it might take a second or two for the sound to catch up..

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #224 of 2,514
Quote:

Yeah, it works fine.  

Interestingly enough when I had the volume all the way down to nothing the DF was still audible.  I had to hit the mute button to get silence.

Also it had a delay that would have preferred to do without... if you move the volume up aggressively it might take a second or two for the sound to catch up..

I have used it so far with my PC sitting next to the desk with JRiver 17. This week it goes on the road so it will be Macitized...(Is that a new word?) iTunes and Amarra 2.4.1. I'll be listening to AIFF lossless after the first 3 weeks of burn in via FLAC/WAV lossless. It should be fun to see if there is any appreciable differences. I am hauling along the HD650's and the Toxic Cables to stay consistent for comparison's sake. It has really smoothed out and the bass has gotten really full. I am really pleased!  
atsmile.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #225 of 2,514
Would you mind providing a DF vs DACport summary of the sound signature? Much appreciated :D

[/RIGHT]
I'm using it with the USB 3.0 ports on my MacBook Retina and it works fine.  USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.  I wonder if there might be another problem with your computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back