AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #241 of 2,514
I've been quite enjoying it all evening with the HD700. YMMV.
Quote:
Word. I've tried it with the HD800, HD700 and the HD600. I think it taps out after the 600/650. Even the 700 is too much for it to bear.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #243 of 2,514
That seems to be a bit limiting in terms of fine volume control.  3 steps and you're off the bridge :eek:   

Can you do the Shift-Option-VOL+/- like you normally can (w/o the DF)?

That approach works perfectly well with the HRT HeadStreamer, which uses the same digitally controlled analog volume control as the DF, but I don't own a DF yet to test that.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #244 of 2,514
Quote:
What I want to know is how quickly will this thing drain my laptops battery...

I am not noticing any significant loss of battery life. No worries there.

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #245 of 2,514
Quote:
Newer is not always better.  I haven't heard the Fiio E17 and I don't know if the DragonFly would be more enjoyable for you.  After being on this site for more than 10 years, there is a tendency for people to hype the newest stuff.  In some cases, it has lead me to some of my worst purchases ever...  and there was a time where I thought my ears were defective because I couldn't understand the feedback I was reading.

I sympathise as I've been through this too.  I think if the Dragonfly weren't so damn small it wouldn't be so amazing. It's hard to say absolutely how good it is or compares to other things as it is going to be somewhat dependant on what it is plugged into and used with, but I think it is good value for $249. I bought mine out of sheer curiosity and because of its potential when I'm travelling.  I'm likely going to use it along with a pair of M80s or M100s (when I get around to getting a pair) as I reckon headphones in that region are where it is going to do best. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #246 of 2,514
Quote:
What I want to know is how quickly will this thing drain my laptops battery...

I posted this earlier in the thread, but it's pretty minimal on my 11" MBA.  On a low load situation (16 ohm iems, 3-4 bars from bottom) it was adding an additional 8-9% power draw over using the headphone out at a similar volume.  With my Thunderpants toward the top fo the volume range it was about 12-13%.  

So quite a bit more efficient than something like the Dacport, which I basically shied away from due to this issue.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #248 of 2,514
I suspect you're right Amos. I would expect it to really shine with either of those two cans. I'm still curious how the DF compares sonically with the HRT HeadStreamer and the NuForce uDAC 2. So far, the HRT seems to be a nice step up from the sonics of the uDAC2. I am pretty impressed with the sound of the HRT HS so far, but I'm not sure if the DF is any step up sonically. Obviously, it's a more compact package.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #249 of 2,514
Quote:
I suspect you're right Amos. I would expect it to really shine with either of those two cans. I'm still curious how the DF compares sonically with the HRT HeadStreamer and the NuForce uDAC 2. So far, the HRT seems to be a nice step up from the sonics of the uDAC2. I am pretty impressed with the sound of the HRT HS so far, but I'm not sure if the DF is any step up sonically. Obviously, it's a more compact package.

Someone here did a comparison on here between the HRT, Audioengine D1, and DF.  He felt the Audioengine was a significant step up from the HRT but the DF was just a bit better than the D1, and chose the D1 as the best value if you didn't require the portability.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #250 of 2,514
I have both the D1 and just got the DF. I pretty much concur with this conclusion.

Someone here did a comparison on here between the HRT, Audioengine D1, and DF.  He felt the Audioengine was a significant step up from the HRT but the DF was just a bit better than the D1, and chose the D1 as the best value if you didn't require the portability.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #251 of 2,514

Interesting. Although I haven't heard the D1, I'm pretty familiar with other Audioengine electronic products (amps and USB wireless xceivers) and I've never been impressed with their lack of neutrality of transparency. Theyre more than ok when used with their speakers, but dont cut the mustard when used more critically in a quality headphone environment. Oh well, maybe they've turned a corner with the D1.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #252 of 2,514

I have the uDac2 and the DF smokes it. The sibilance of the uDac2 is hard to deal with after spending time with the DF. Yesterday I spent about 3 hours with the DF, Burson HA-160DS, the uDac2 and my HD650's with the Toxic Cables, a new pair of HD700's and a new pair of HD800's and a new Entreq cable. The uDac is too harsh next to the DF. The DF can drive the 650 and 700's but it does not have enough to adequately drive the 800's.

It is always fun to get some play time with a variety of gear. I am putting the uDac2 up for sale and I am really happy with the DF as my primary MBPro traveling DAC.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #253 of 2,514
It's no surprise that the DF smokes the uDAC2. The HeadStreamer smokes it too. I'm wondering how the DF and the HeadStreamer compare.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #254 of 2,514
I'm interested in the DF for my Win7 Ultrabook.

I need more detail regarding the volume control?

As i understand from other USB DAC's, you keep the laptop volume @ 100%, and use the volume control on the DAC unit to regulate the sound, doing it this way keeps the sound from degrading.

So for the DF, when you change the system volume, isn't the audio degraded?
AudioQuest do mention to keep the system volume @ 100%, and use your mediaplayer software to regulate the volume, would this also degrade the audio?

Also, anyone paired this with the Ultrasone Signature Pros?

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #255 of 2,514
Essentially, when using the DF or the HRT HS the system volume control is taken over by the digitally controlled analog volume control built in to the DAC. So when you adjust the "system" volume control, you're actually adjusting the analog volume control inside the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back