AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #271 of 2,514
I used it for some Sennheiser HD600s as well.  It sounds great with my JH16s.    The Sennheisers were good too.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #272 of 2,514
Quote:
I used it for some Sennheiser HD600s as well.  It sounds great with my JH16s.    The Sennheisers were good too.

Awesome with the HD650's!

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #273 of 2,514

After some research, the Dragonfly, Calyx Coffee, E-DAC and ODAC all use this ES9023 Sabre chip.

Was a tossup between the DF and the Calyx Coffee, so i chose the DF, awaiting delivery.

Epiphany Acoustics DAC and the ODAC are the same.  The AckoDAC AKD-23S uses it too, and I imagine some blu-ray players, etc.

As for the ~4 ohm output impedance in the DF.

source: http://en.goldenears.net/7901

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #274 of 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the ~4 ohm output impedance in the DF.

source: http://en.goldenears.net/7901

Good to know and without a doubt this is a measurement that is all across the board.  Basic rule of thumb though is output impedance should be roughly 1/8 of headphone impedance otherwise it may adversely impact the frequency response.  Granted I got this from reading voldemort's article on this so take it fwiw, but he makes a pretty compelling case.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #275 of 2,514
Quote:

Good to know and without a doubt this is a measurement that is all across the board.  Basic rule of thumb though is output impedance should be roughly 1/8 of headphone impedance otherwise it may adversely impact the frequency response.  Granted I got this from reading voldemort's article on this so take it fwiw, but he makes a pretty compelling case.

So, do we have another DF output impedance measurement? About 4 Ohms..

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #277 of 2,514
Has anyone tried this with a porta-rig? Maybe a SGS3 or Archos 101 g9? I'd love to know if the draw is low enough to host :)

Kojaku

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #279 of 2,514
Quote:

If this helps at all it won't work with the iPad without a powered hub.

Oh, but I know the iPad is VERY picky because it has a really really low power output. By contrast, each of the hosting ports on my Archos 101 G9 can put out up to 1000mA at 2V. I have literally used my tablet to power a projector.

Kojaku

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #280 of 2,514
Is there anything on the market that comes close to this, but cheaper? I want a USB soundcard (my laptop does not have a PCMCIA or ExpressCard port). I don't want a big USB DAC like an Audio Engine or even a Fiio (sp?). 

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #281 of 2,514
Quote:
Is there anything on the market that comes close to this, but cheaper? I want a USB soundcard (my laptop does not have a PCMCIA or ExpressCard port). I don't want a big USB DAC like an Audio Engine or even a Fiio (sp?). 

I believe there have been other USB key-sized DACs but they've been fairly bad.  I think alot of the commotion over this device is it actually it is the first audiophile-grade product in this form factor.  A quick check shows Firestone has something called a Black key for about $100.

In any case I just ordered another Dragonfly... have a couple other IEMs enroute, esp a GR07 MkII which has a 50 ohm impedance so let's see how it goes...

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #283 of 2,514
Quote:

I believe there have been other USB key-sized DACs but they've been fairly bad.  I think alot of the commotion over this device is it actually it is the first audiophile-grade product in this form factor.  A quick check shows Firestone has something called a Black key for about $100.

In any case I just ordered another Dragonfly... have a couple other IEMs enroute, esp a GR07 MkII which has a 50 ohm impedance so let's see how it goes...

Hey bobeau,
Did you order another DF?  Was there any issue in your first one?
Im asking because Im really curious about the output. The designer stated that its as low as 0.8 Ohms, on the other hand I measured about 4 Ohms. So, before shipping back I need a confirmation.. if my device is broken or it has the 4Ohms out.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #284 of 2,514
Quote:

This time give a couple hundred hours to breathe...
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #285 of 2,514
Quote:

Well currently it only seems to be affecting 16-ohm IEM's, so I hope the GR07 MKII is fine. Especially because I'm interested in purchasing a Dragonfly for mines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back