AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,891 of 2,514
Hey guys. I set my DF to 24 bit / 96 in Windows playback sound panel and when I play music from Foobar2000 of 16/ 44.1 it stays at the magenta color ( 24/96). I was expecting the DF to auto set the proper playback rate. Am I doing something wrong? My previous DAC ( DACport) did auto set the rate.

Thanks

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,892 of 2,514
Hey guys. I set my DF to 24 bit / 96 in Windows playback sound panel and when I play music from Foobar2000 of 16/ 44.1 it stays at the magenta color ( 24/96). I was expecting the DF to auto set the proper playback rate. Am I doing something wrong? My previous DAC ( DACport) did auto set the rate.

Thanks

I think the music is being upsampled.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,893 of 2,514

I think the music is being upsampled.

That is what i figured out but even the  Audioquest manual recommend to set to proper rate. This should be automatic not a manual setting. When a play music in random it's impossible to change or monitor the playback rate.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,894 of 2,514
  That is what i figured out but even the  Audioquest manual recommend to set to proper rate. This should be automatic not a manual setting. When a play music in random it's impossible to change or monitor the playback rate.

Ideally you your library would be at the same sample rate, so you could set it and forget it.
Usually, that's not the case, so you should just keep it at the highest setting.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,895 of 2,514
Ideally you your library would be at the same sample rate, so you could set it and forget it.
Usually, that's not the case, so you should just keep it at the highest setting.
I too was perplexed by the amount of setup the DF required in getting the proper playback rate for my music library. But after reading the DF directions from the manual and online and getting input from head-fi member "Krutsch" I was able to figure out the EQ that I liked the best. BenF, what are you using for a source/DAP?

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,896 of 2,514
I too was perplexed by the amount of setup the DF required in getting the proper playback rate for my music library. But after reading the DF directions from the manual and online and getting input from head-fi member "Krutsch" I was able to figure out the EQ that I liked the best. BenF, what are you using for a source/DAP?

Foobar2000

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,897 of 2,514

Thanks

I'll just repost this here....

With foobar you can make it automatic, by by passing the windows own audio drivers. Install this component: 
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi
in foobar go file -> preferences -> output
from the device dropdown select WASAPI Event (Dragonfly...)

Now you can't hear any windows sounds trough dragonfly when playing music from foobar, since it has the control over the device. The volume of the dragonfly is still controlled by windows, so you should still change DF as default audiodevice in windows settings, othervice you can't control the volume.(well you can use the foobar vol control, afaik it's digital tough) Or you can have foobar playing to DF and have windows have another audio device set and it will play it's sounds from there.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,898 of 2,514
Whippler, even though I use a MacBook Pro with an iTunes library, thanks for reposting the DF info about the Foobar2000. Very useful!

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,901 of 2,514
Whippler, even though I use a MacBook Pro with an iTunes library, thanks for reposting the DF info about the Foobar2000. Very useful!

@bpcans - BTW, did you get things worked out with Bitperfect on your Mac?  I personally use Audirvana+, but that's a commitment (expensive and a lot of knobs and dials), so I mostly recommend Bitperfect to folks that getting started with outboard DACs, et al on a Mac.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #1,902 of 2,514
@bpcans
 - BTW, did you get things worked out with Bitperfect on your Mac?  I personally use Audirvana+, but that's a commitment (expensive and a lot of knobs and dials), so I mostly recommend Bitperfect to folks that getting started with outboard DACs, et al on a Mac.
Bitperfect turned out to be easier than I thought, almost intuitive with the Mac. What are the advantages of Audirvana+, and how much of a financial commitment are you talking about? Is there that much of a noticeable increase in the quality of the sound to justify the cost? I had to get VOX so I could play high-res files.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #1,903 of 2,514

BTW it's working fine now. I did tried with Wasapi and it worked the rate changed automatically but I was earring static noise randomly ( using the DF on a power hub) so I changed to KS and the rate change also and it sound good. Thank you!

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,904 of 2,514
Bitperfect turned out to be easier than I thought, almost intuitive with the Mac. What are the advantages of Audirvana+, and how much of a financial commitment are you talking about? Is there that much of a noticeable increase in the quality of the sound to justify the cost? I had to get VOX so I could play high-res files.

I've been off-line for a few days... work :)

Audrivana+ provides a couple of advantages: 1) you can use AU/VST plug-ins to provide EQ'ing or Surround Processing, among other things; 2) you have fine grained control over the sample rate conversion an filtering parameters, so you can do more than just switch between linear and minimum phase filters.  2) is sort of a tinkering thing, but 1) is huge.  I've purchased some EQ plug-ins from Voxengo and it really helps with poorly mastered music.

As far as improvements in SQ, I don't know.  To be honest, I'm not sure I could pass a DBT between Bitperfect and A+ using the same music at the same sample rate, with no EQ'ing, etc.  However, many of the folks over at Computeraudiophile.com rave about the improvements in sound quality.  Then again, those folks describe H-U-G-E improvements in SQ based on using an SD card to host their music files, as opposed to the SSD drive built into their Macs.

As always, YMMV...

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,905 of 2,514
Thanks Krutsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back