AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jun 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,876 of 2,514

Would you recommend a similar setup to this ^ (usb dac with separate amp) as opposed to buying a more expensive desktop DAC with a built in amp? Right now I only have MDr V6 and Dt 770 80 ohm but I am planning to upgrade at some point to something more along the lines of an HD 600 headpone.

Not if portability matters to you.  I use my DF with a FiiO E11 when I am traveling w/ my MacBook.  It's a very portable setup that also lets me use the same E11 amp with my HTC One or iPod 5.5 gen.  I like to mix it up with my gear so, for me, the E11 is all about flexibility and portability; oh yeah, and it's like $US 50 which is a great value IMO.

You can't compare the above with a desktop setup.  Even my entry-level NuForce Icon HDP blows the portable rig out of the water - especially with the rest of the stuff connected in my sig.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,877 of 2,514
I don't see myself traveling with my laptop too much so I would definitely go with quality of sound for my money over portability. With a portable setup I will probably end up getting an E11 for my classic ipod. If I am looking at spending less than $350 on a desktop DAC/AMP could you recommend some models to me? Any help is much appreciated

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,878 of 2,514
  I don't see myself traveling with my laptop too much so I would definitely go with quality of sound for my money over portability. With a portable setup I will probably end up getting an E11 for my classic ipod. If I am looking at spending less than $350 on a desktop DAC/AMP could you recommend some models to me? Any help is much appreciated

You should check out the Head Gear section (see tab at the top) and do some reading.

At that price range, the Schiit Magni and Modi combo is highly regarded by many here (I've never heard them).

Another option that I've been considering myself: iFi Nano iDSD USB DAC Headphone Amp.  Either option is roughly $200.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,879 of 2,514
  It really depends on the individual equipment you are thinking about buying more than the comparison of separate vs built in amp.  I currently use the Dragonfly with the Little Dot Mk V, a solid state amplifier, and I get great results. (The LD mkV works great with the HD 600 btw).  Also consider that the Dragonfly has a built in amp, which can make do until you save up for a dedicated headphone amp.  The one argument that goes for getting separate DAC and amp is that you will have more options to choose from.  

+1. I'd say that if you'd like to add an amp better go with one that offers a significant amount of more power that the DF.

I'm running my Q701 on the DF right now and I'm pretty surprised how well it drives them. Not a huge different from the Magni actually (not even in bass impact). If one would like to just get a different soundsignature things would be different though.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,880 of 2,514
So Dragonfly DAC (not headphone amp) output question. V1 vs V1.2.

Is most of the improvement in the new version the DAC? The headphone amp is a plus to me for travel for when I just want to take my laptop, but not uber important. But for a secondary headphone setup that is movable around my house, I'd be using it with a portable amp (C&C BH or E12) or my Meier Corda Rock desktop amp (it's pretty small).

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,881 of 2,514
From the website: "Among the improvements, the circuitry between the DAC chip and the analog output stage has been refined to create a more direct signal path, leading to even greater transparency and immediacy. Also, the DAC’s power supply has been fortified, which gives the sound more “grip,” and even greater dynamic contrast."

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac 

Jun 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,882 of 2,514
From the website: [COLOR=0000FF]"Among the improvements, the circuitry between the DAC chip and the analog output stage has been refined to create a more direct signal path, leading to even greater transparency and immediacy. Also, the DAC’s power supply has been fortified, which gives the sound more “grip,” and even greater dynamic contrast."[/COLOR]

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digital_analog_converter/dragonfly-dac 

Thanks! But I'm more interested in what Head-Fiers with experience with both units say over company claims in marketing prose :)

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,883 of 2,514
An excerpt from a Stereophile review: 
"The sonic differences between the original and v1.2 DragonFlys were almost as obvious as those between the Sennheiser Momentum and B&W P3 on-ear headphones. Where the original DragonFly excelled in clarity and detail, v1.2 added a richer, more colorful midrange, improved spatial abilities, and a greater sense of ease. Through the DragonFly v1.2, "Sleeping Is the Only Love" sounded thrilling and beautiful, with an awesome amount of space around the drum kit, a solidly focused center image, and overall clarity and tonal accuracy that made following guitar riffs and subtleties of drumwork a total pleasure. Best of all, though, was the v1.2's way with David Berman's simple, familiar voice: Singing "I'd crawl over 50 yards of burning coals just to make it with you," he sounded drunk and restless with desperation and love—just as he should. I believed every word of it."

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,884 of 2,514
An excerpt from a Stereophile review: 
[COLOR=333333]"The sonic differences between the original and v1.2 DragonFlys were almost as obvious as those between the Sennheiser Momentum and B&W P3 on-ear headphones. Where the original DragonFly excelled in clarity and detail, v1.2 added a richer, more colorful midrange, improved spatial abilities, and a greater sense of ease. Through the DragonFly v1.2, "Sleeping Is the Only Love" sounded thrilling and beautiful, with an awesome amount of space around the drum kit, a solidly focused center image, and overall clarity and tonal accuracy that made following guitar riffs and subtleties of drumwork a total pleasure. Best of all, though, was the v1.2's way with David Berman's simple, familiar voice: Singing "I'd crawl over 50 yards of burning coals just to make it with you," he sounded drunk and restless with desperation and love—just as he should. I believed every word of it."[/COLOR]

I've already read that too. I'm looking for Head-fier comments :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,885 of 2,514
I've already read that too. I'm looking for Head-fier comments
smily_headphones1.gif

I upgraded to V1.2 and never took the time to A/B against V1.0 - I suspect most are in this category, which might explain the lack of comments from head-fi'ers. For me, it's more comparing my work rig (w/ DF 1.2) and my desktop rig (my signature) and there's just no comparison, for my ears and my tastes.

That said, when I started using the new version, I don't recall thinking "...WOW, this is just amazing, compared to the old, stone-knives-and-bearskins version 1.0!"
L3000.gif

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #1,886 of 2,514
I upgraded to V1.2 and never took the time to A/B against V1.0 - I suspect most are in this category, which might explain the lack of comments from head-fi'ers. For me, it's more comparing my work rig (w/ DF 1.2) and my desktop rig (my signature) and there's just no comparison, for my ears and my tastes.

That said, when I started using the new version, I don't recall thinking "...WOW, this is just amazing, compared to the old, stone-knives-and-bearskins version 1.0!" :L3000:  

Thanks for the comparison. But since the setup was for music anyway, I decided to grab the DX50 for $199 today on Amazon. I'll wait on the Dragonfly. :)

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,887 of 2,514
I'm a new owner of the DF 1.2 (nerver heard the 1.0 version) and used it at work all day yesterday and I very enjoyed it. I find it very musical and engaging with my Aurisonics ASG-2. The bass was excellent. I used to own the DACport and it's been a few months since I sold it to my friend but the DF seems more fun to me but still very detail and accurate. This is just some early impression and YMMV but so far it's a keeper for me.

Also one thing a very like it's how I can control the volume and play/pause next/back right on my keyboard. Make it very nice for work environment where I get disrupt on a regular basis.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #1,888 of 2,514
Does anyone use this with a long extension (like 6 feet) on Windows 7? Whenever I reformat, it has an issue playing through the extension where after like a minute of playing a song, it'll emit a single beep and cut out. When replugging it in, it emits a ton of static when music or any sound is played. I disabled the USB Suspend State but that doesn't appear to be it. Can't figure out what driver it would be if it is one. Using the Asus Z87-Pro and I've installed the USB 3.0 drivers.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,889 of 2,514
Does anyone use this with a long extension (like 6 feet) on Windows 7? Whenever I reformat, it has an issue playing through the extension where after like a minute of playing a song, it'll emit a single beep and cut out. When replugging it in, it emits a ton of static when music or any sound is played. I disabled the USB Suspend State but that doesn't appear to be it. Can't figure out what driver it would be if it is one. Using the Asus Z87-Pro and I've installed the USB 3.0 drivers.

This happened to my DF1.0 on a win7 pc and win8/8.1 laptop... I used a 2 ft cheapo usb extension cable. I always thought it was just a bad cable, but the DF just might not like the long throw...

I prefer using the Dragontail to relieve stress, and have a longer analog cable (interconnect) for connecting devices.

Not sure how you're using your DF in your setup, but there are probably a few different solutions... my guess is your DF just isn't getting enough power from the source.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,890 of 2,514
This happened to my DF1.0 on a win7 pc and win8/8.1 laptop... I used a 2 ft cheapo usb extension cable. I always thought it was just a bad cable, but the DF just might not like the long throw...

I prefer using the Dragontail to relieve stress, and have a longer analog cable (interconnect) for connecting devices.

Not sure how you're using your DF in your setup, but there are probably a few different solutions... my guess is your DF just isn't getting enough power from the source.

I actually just found out the issue / solution. Intel's USB 3.0 extensible Controller Driver seems to have many issues. Uninstalled it and it's working perfectly. Previously it used to mess with my external hard drives until they updated it. Now it's just completely uninstalled though and I'm letting Windows handle the USB 3.0 drivers.

I'm running my DF to the back of my amp, which is next to my speakers, since I take it on the go occasionally. Don't want to put it behind the case because it'll be a PITA to remove and replace over and over again. They're basically about 4~5 feet away from my tower and above my desk rather than below my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back