AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 29, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,146 of 2,514
  I think that jnorris's point is that it is very difficult to distinguish between two very good DACs by ear, and it is surprising that someone who can tell the difference between two very good DACs does not find the difference between both of them and a mediocre one significant. But maybe I misunderstood!

Perhaps this source is flawed, but it's debatable that the DACs inside of MBAir, iP6 and iP6S are "mediocre":

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements

Zoomed spectrum of 10,007 Hz 0 dBFS sine wave. (CBS CD-1 track 9, R&S UPL.)
This is FANTASTIC! This is significantly better than previous iPhones, and better than many audiophile DACs, and almost as good as a professional reference DAC like the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

Spectrum of 1,002.27 Hz 0 dBFS square wave. (CBS CD-1 track 16, R&S UPL.)
This is very good, way better than Bluetooth and better than most outboard DACS. 
The iPhone 6 Plus won't distort or do anything crazy when playing modern CDs that are recorded at 110%.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,147 of 2,514
Originally Posted by MarcoGV 

I think that jnorris's point is that it is very difficult to distinguish between two very good DACs by ear, and it is surprising that someone who can tell the difference between two very good DACs does not find the difference between both of them and a mediocre one significant. But maybe I misunderstood!

Thank you MarcoGV.  That is exactly what I meant.  I spent hours trying to find a difference between DACs, but only minutes in determining that both were better than on-board sound.  And if it's better, then I want it.

If the Apple DACs are so good, then by all means save your money and return them - or better yet, keep the DACs and use them with a device that allows some storage expansion so that maybe you can build up a collection of music to listen to...maybe even without being shackled to iTunes!

As for those test results, I'm not impressed.  Many components test well - especially those designed for low level signals - but fall short when the rubber meets the road.  Case in point is the previously well-regarded Sansa player that measured ruler flat with no load, but showed a precipitous bass roll-off when attached to a real-world headphone.

I also take with a grain of salt any Apple review that is generously sprinkled with superlatives (WOW, Fantastic, Superb, Magnificent).  He lost me when he said "Way better than Bluetooth".  Really?  There isn't much in the wired world that isn't "Way better than Bluetooth".

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,148 of 2,514

Gotcha.

And yes, I have returned both DACs. Not so much because Apple's DACs are that good (I'll take your critique of that review as more knowledgable than what I could grok from it), but because the value added by the two DACs to my ears, given how I listen, etc etc, caveat emptor, carpe diem, IMHO $0.02, wasn't enough to keep them. That said, glad to learn not to trust frequency graphs as gospel :wink: 

Cheers

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #2,149 of 2,514
Just bought the DragonFly. I saw it at a store and it was being sold at a reasonable price. Originally I was looking for something from Schiit or another alternative like Meridian...the Dragonfly was not even on my radar or suggested to me. But I thought, I would try it out, and so far it's been a great purchase. It's my first real amp/dac purchase (the Creative Soundblaster that I have really doesn't do much for me and has issues). Music and Video's sound so much more alive and detailed with the Dragonfly. And it's so damn small...it's awesome! 

I'm still going to look at Schiit or Meridian...maybe I'll get one of those for my PS4

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #2,150 of 2,514
  Just bought the DragonFly. I saw it at a store and it was being sold at a reasonable price. Originally I was looking for something from Schiit or another alternative like Meridian...the Dragonfly was not even on my radar or suggested to me. But I thought, I would try it out, and so far it's been a great purchase. It's my first real amp/dac purchase (the Creative Soundblaster that I have really doesn't do much for me and has issues). Music and Video's sound so much more alive and detailed with the Dragonfly. And it's so damn small...it's awesome! 

I'm still going to look at Schiit or Meridian...maybe I'll get one of those for my PS4

Congrats. I think the DF DAC section is pretty good, but the headphone amp can use some help. If you are thinking about adding to your rig, consider just adding an amp, like the Schiit Magni or something portable from FiiO (e.g. E11K).

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,151 of 2,514

Congrats. I think the DF DAC section is pretty good, but the headphone amp can use some help. If you are thinking about adding to your rig, consider just adding an amp, like the Schiit Magni or something portable from FiiO (e.g. E11K).

I use it with an Objective 2.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,152 of 2,514

I've definitely looked at the Schiit Magni and I've heard only good things about FiiO in general. I'll definitely have a look at them.

But why do I need to look at them? What about the DF headphone amp needs help? Just curious to know. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,153 of 2,514
  I've definitely looked at the Schiit Magni and I've heard only good things about FiiO in general. I'll definitely have a look at them.

But why do I need to look at them? What about the DF headphone amp needs help? Just curious to know. 

Maybe *need* is the wrong word, but I've found that the DF scales well with an external amp. If it's working for you, just enjoy the music.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,154 of 2,514

Maybe *need* is the wrong word, but I've found that the DF scales well with an external amp. If it's working for you, just enjoy the music.

So far it's been great for such a little thing. But I'll definitely consider the ones you mentioned in the near future.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2,158 of 2,514
Sooooo.. Is the dragonfly still the best dac/amp for small laptops? I know it's been out for awhile...
The DF works well for me with my MacBook Pro 13" when I'm traveling or just sitting out on the patio.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,159 of 2,514
The DF works well for me with my MacBook Pro 13" when I'm traveling or just sitting out on the patio.

Awesome stuff. Does it work just as well with windows??

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2,160 of 2,514

Awesome stuff. Does it work just as well with windows??

Yes.
beyersmile.png
  Also note that there are two versions: 1.0 and 1.2.  I have the 1.0 version and am very satisfied with it.  The 1.2 version is supposed to be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back