AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,161 of 2,514
guess i don't see what all the fuss is about on this product, but
admittedly was pretty excited when i first got it yesterday...
have tried it on both my laptop as well as on my nexus with an otg cable
going back and forth (with DF and without) using the same musical piece repeatedly (tidal hi fi)
my easy to drive iems are the sony xba h1.

....yeah sure there is a slight difference, but i was left disappointed,
expecting more (so this being my first dac/amp, maybe i set the bar too high, esp
with all the hype around it).

.... will continue evaluating...who knows..maybe it's me: i'm just getting into audio now
so my ears aren't as refined as many of you on here.
maybe i'll keep it...or will step up to the geek out v2 or even the mojo.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #2,162 of 2,514
I cannot speak for the quality of the XBAH1, but this isn't strange. If your phone/laptops output is clean and powerful enough, the Dragonfly should make for little difference. IEMs are very sensitive and do not need amplification (I cannot speak to the quality of your source either), so if the source is transparent it should not make a world of difference.

I like my Dragonfly with full-sized headphones between 40 and 300 ohms. I did not enjoy it universally with IEMs. In-fact, I felt there was too much noise with the Fidelio S2.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #2,163 of 2,514

thanks faisal2003456

I, like many here, have read frequently that for the most part our laptops have subpar sound cards... so if you're running your iems or cans from your laptop 'tis best to get a better dac/amp for sound quality...which is what i tried to do...thanks for the imput.

Quote:
  I cannot speak for the quality of the XBAH1, but this isn't strange. If your phone/laptops output is clean and powerful enough, the Dragonfly should make for little difference. IEMs are very sensitive and do not need amplification (I cannot speak to the quality of your source either), so if the source is transparent it should not make a world of difference.

I like my Dragonfly with full-sized headphones between 40 and 300 ohms. I did not enjoy it universally with IEMs. In-fact, I felt there was too much noise with the Fidelio S2.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #2,164 of 2,514
The most important thing is getting the targeted current and voltage output for our desired listening volume.

The second is ensuring you have a clean and transparent source. My laptops headphone jack was utter garbage (and very loose). YMMV 

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,165 of 2,514
guess i don't see what all the fuss is about on this product, but
admittedly was pretty excited when i first got it yesterday...
have tried it on both my laptop as well as on my nexus with an otg cable
going back and forth (with DF and without) using the same musical piece repeatedly (tidal hi fi)
my easy to drive iems are the sony xba h1.

....yeah sure there is a slight difference, but i was left disappointed,
expecting more (so this being my first dac/amp, maybe i set the bar too high, esp
with all the hype around it).

.... will continue evaluating...who knows..maybe it's me: i'm just getting into audio now
so my ears aren't as refined as many of you on here.
maybe i'll keep it...or will step up to the geek out v2 or even the mojo.

For 100 bucks more you'll probably much happier with the v2 ($250 currently at Amazon).

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,167 of 2,514

The DF works well for me with my MacBook Pro 13" when I'm traveling or just sitting out on the patio.

Awesome stuff. Does it work just as well with windows??

Yes. :beyersmile:   Also note that there are two versions: 1.0 and 1.2.  I have the 1.0 version and am very satisfied with it.  The 1.2 version is supposed to be an improvement.

The 1.0 is sonically superior than v1.2.
I have both.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2,172 of 2,514
The 1.0 is sonically superior than v1.2.
I have both.
I think that the v1.2 DF is sonically more even in its presentation when it comes to treble/bass balance, especially when listening older pre 2000 recordings.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,174 of 2,514
Dragonfly Black at $99, which is the new updated version of the Dragonfly. The big change is that in addition to a lower price, instead of just working with high-powered computer USB connections, the Dragonfly can now work with phones and tablets. Both iOS and Android are supported. One of the ways they made this happen was with more efficient chips inside and lowering the output voltage a tad to 1.2 volts.

New Dragonfly Red at $199, described as a hot-rodded Dragonfly. It has a higher output voltage and has been better optimized for driving headphones.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2,175 of 2,514
  Dragonfly Black at $99, which is the new updated version of the Dragonfly. The big change is that in addition to a lower price, instead of just working with high-powered computer USB connections, the Dragonfly can now work with phones and tablets. Both iOS and Android are supported. One of the ways they made this happen was with more efficient chips inside and lowering the output voltage a tad to 1.2 volts.

New Dragonfly Red at $199, described as a hot-rodded Dragonfly. It has a higher output voltage and has been better optimized for driving headphones.

Very interesting!  I do not see this on the AudioQuest website (http://www.audioquest.com/)  yet.  Has this just been announced at CES?  I also hope that there will be Windows Phone support for the Dragonfly Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back