Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Feb 17, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,006 of 1,214
Spent the whole day in bed and had enough time to read through the PurePower manual, noticed that the power connector needs to be pushed in again after threading for proper locking.

It makes a satisfying click once it's locked. Mine was spinning freely for months now. Locking made an improvement in quality.

The manuals says "Push, thread, then push again"

http://www.audiophilleo.com/docs/manual_purepower.pdf

Something worth checking?

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,008 of 1,214
Whenever I move my kit around, this catches me out. Very easy for it not to be inserted correctly leaving the AP1 having a fit.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #1,009 of 1,214
It locks on my AP2, just needs and extra push.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,010 of 1,214
so, i tried the Ehanced Digital Output mod for my Squeezebox Touch last night.
i downloaded the necessary app, and then plugged the Audiophilleo2 w/ PurePower into the squeezebox USB port.

i can report that this works without a problem.  and the sound is excellent.
compared to my Empirical Audio Synchro-Mesh, which i was using before, there's not a big difference - perhaps just a touch tighter all around...

i am using the Vaunix USB hub with this SBT setup, just to make sure the PP charges correctly.
i have seen reports that the AP/PP will work without a hub, and charge off the SBT usb output.  but i did not try it without the Vaunix.

my 2 channel rig now competes in SQ with my head-fi rigs, and this makes me very pleased...  
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,012 of 1,214
I have an AP2 with PP and love it.
I was reading reports recently of the Teddy Pardo power supplies and how they are better than a DC battery. How much bettter it is I don't know, but it got me thinking - how much more room is there for improving the AP performance? Also got me wondering how well an AP with an iFi USB (and no PP) would perform against an AP with PP?

I'm also assuming that the quality of the USB Cable into the AP would make a difference, hence the supplied Wireworld Violet, with its separation of power lines from data. But how about separating them further as with the iFi Gemini cable? And making the cable as short as possible?

Likewise with the supplied USB cable connecting he PP to the AP, how about if this were eliminated with an even shorter cable or a small adapter only (no cable)?

Steve N from Empirical mentions that there is still performance to be eked out of his devices, particularly in the area of power supply, so is there still more that we can get out of the AP also?

Lots of questions. Any answers? Or further thoughts?

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,013 of 1,214
I have AP1 + PP and tested tonight the ultraviolet usb cable with a generic 36 feets usb cable (active).

USB cable MATTER even with Purepower.

I don't know if I like the ultraviolet. It's "sterile" sound ... RCA (brand name) USB cable is very cheap and sound very good.

My 36 feets sound more open but it's less black background, less transparent, less dynamic, less detailled and have a bit less bass than the ultraviolet.

Pure power is a big upgrade over stock ... I tested my purepower against a stock audiophilleo and it's a no brain upgrade for me.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,014 of 1,214
Anyone tried connecting the PP to the AP via an Empirical Audio Shortblock?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,015 of 1,214
Quote:
Anyone tried connecting the PP to the AP via an Empirical Audio Shortblock?

It wont work. The AP needs power.
The Short Block severs the +5V wire in the USB cable, so devices that rely on the +5V power in the USB cable cannot use the Short Block.

I've connected mine (which has the PP) to various "clean" USB power sources but honestly I haven't noticed any improvement.

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #1,016 of 1,214
Maybe I wasn't clear - connect the PP to the AP with a ShortBlock.  This connection does not require 5v as it is cut here and uses 5v from the battery.  The position you can't use the ShortBlock in is between the source and the PP which does require 5v for charging.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,017 of 1,214
I find the iUSB to be a very interesting device as well. I did have the Aqvox low noise USB power supply, and the PurePower absolutely blew it out of the water. Not sure how much better iUSB might be.

I have an AP2 with PP and love it.
I was reading reports recently of the Teddy Pardo power supplies and how they are better than a DC battery. How much bettter it is I don't know, but it got me thinking - how much more room is there for improving the AP performance? Also got me wondering how well an AP with an iFi USB (and no PP) would perform against an AP with PP?

I'm also assuming that the quality of the USB Cable into the AP would make a difference, hence the supplied Wireworld Violet, with its separation of power lines from data. But how about separating them further as with the iFi Gemini cable? And making the cable as short as possible?

Likewise with the supplied USB cable connecting he PP to the AP, how about if this were eliminated with an even shorter cable or a small adapter only (no cable)?

Steve N from Empirical mentions that there is still performance to be eked out of his devices, particularly in the area of power supply, so is there still more that we can get out of the AP also?

Lots of questions. Any answers? Or further thoughts?

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,018 of 1,214
After having sold off my AP2 and PP months ago, I picked up a brand new Musiland 03 USD and have been pretty pleased with its performance. It seems like a good performing value solution. Granted I still wouldn't mind having my AP2 PP back. I just needed to liquidate some stuff. It felt like reference level performance.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,019 of 1,214
Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear - connect the PP to the AP with a ShortBlock.  This connection does not require 5v as it is cut here and uses 5v from the battery.  The position you can't use the ShortBlock in is between the source and the PP which does require 5v for charging.

The USB input to the AP, even the PP version, uses the 5V power line, so it wouldn't work. The PP only supplies the internal clock. See the diagram picture on the PP site: http://www.audiophilleo.com/ppgallery.aspx

Mar 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,020 of 1,214
Quote:

The USB input to the AP, even the PP version, uses the 5V power line, so it wouldn't work. The PP only supplies the internal clock. See the diagram picture on the PP site: http://www.audiophilleo.com/ppgallery.aspx

Thanks for this info. So there is probably even more scope for cleaning signal AND power before it gets to the AP. Could it improve it I wonder? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back