Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,021 of 1,214
Quote:
Quote:

The USB input to the AP, even the PP version, uses the 5V power line, so it wouldn't work. The PP only supplies the internal clock. See the diagram picture on the PP site: http://www.audiophilleo.com/ppgallery.aspx

Thanks for this info. So there is probably even more scope for cleaning signal AND power before it gets to the AP. Could it improve it I wonder? 

I doubt it. A few of us have tried using better power through USB with no noticeable differences. That only seems to work with the standard AP1/2 (without the Pure Power).

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,022 of 1,214
Quote:
Thanks for this info. So there is probably even more scope for cleaning signal AND power before it gets to the AP. Could it improve it I wonder? 

There is a possibility, but chances are you will be doing more harm than good.  Tweak money is better spent towards an even higher performing transport IMO.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #1,023 of 1,214
Just curious, but do you guys notice a difference using the AP with a DAC that reclocks signal? It seems redundant to me.

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,026 of 1,214
I think Benchmark does this, probably a few others I can't think of.  If reclocking 100% fixes jitter then yes you may as well use any asynch USB input as they all should be the same performance.  IMO its not that simple, these boxes also offer galvanic isolation which cuts down the noise on the digital inputs to the DAC, whereas very few USB inputs to DAC's are properly isolated.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,027 of 1,214
I was under the impression that most DACs that reclock, only reclock for USB input. Is there an example of a DAC that reclocks a SPDIF signal?

Most of the high-end DACs I believe do this since the SPDIF signal does not actually contain timing information as out of band data (this is from memory so please look it up on Wiki or Google).

The sender dictates the rate for the receiver to clock to in real-time. Any fluctuations in the sender will result in jitter (whether its audible or not is completely up for debate).

My biggest beef with the AP1/PP design is I wish it was one unit.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,028 of 1,214
Hello,
New AP2 owner here and loving what I hear so far feeding my Bryston BDA-1 DAC.  Previously used a HiFace converter until it stopped working and can tell the AP2 is much better.  I've read through most of the posts in this thread and conclude that the PP is a significant improvement.  However, it's a bit expensive to me and I want to explore cheaper altenatives.  I've read mention of the Vaunix hub and the Aqvox, and both seem inferior to PP.  I've heard mention of iUSB but no feedback.  Any further thoughts on iUSB vs PP, or any other alternatives?  Thanks

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #1,029 of 1,214
Quote:
Hello,
New AP2 owner here and loving what I hear so far feeding my Bryston BDA-1 DAC.  Previously used a HiFace converter until it stopped working and can tell the AP2 is much better.  I've read through most of the posts in this thread and conclude that the PP is a significant improvement.  However, it's a bit expensive to me and I want to explore cheaper altenatives.  I've read mention of the Vaunix hub and the Aqvox, and both seem inferior to PP.  I've heard mention of iUSB but no feedback.  Any further thoughts on iUSB vs PP, or any other alternatives?  Thanks

Im using a KingRex UC384 you can see my sig for additional info too. Their landing page is here You can get a custom AES/EBU cable from RedCo Audio for it as well if you wish. Hope that was helpful! Oh and 32/384 capability via IIS is on the way!

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #1,030 of 1,214
Quote:
Hello,

Besides PP iUSB could be the best option today.
There is a good discussion on Computer Audiophile forum.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-iusb-power-supply-neat-tweak-and-upgrade-usb-dac-13832/
Internals of iUSBPower
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/my-review-ultra-fi-abisque-usb-filter-and-audio-optimization-guide-mountain-lion-14696/#post203426

May 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,031 of 1,214
Has anyone directly compared the SQ of the AP2 with AP1? With or without PP. If it's been posted sorry, but I couldn't find it.

-------

Later update:
Answered meanwhile.

May 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #1,032 of 1,214
Today I have received my AP2. No Pure Power. I hooked it up to the SPDIF end of my Burson Conductor and I was immediately impressed. However, giving the whole shabang a few hours to warm-up this is what I've got: an immersive 3d soundstage with lots of air, everything flows, superb microdetail and extension accross of the frequency spectrum, liquid natural sounding vocals. Even some previously forgettable music (but well recorded), is now so immersive it makes you forget everything else. The latter part is actually coming from my wife who was previously thinking I'm starting to lose the plot for spending this money on "an USB port". This was the best £300something (deal price) I've ever spent on audio.

Tomorrow or Friday I should receive my IFI IUSB from Amazon and find what that brings to this table. Will have another update in a couple of days or so.

May 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,033 of 1,214
Keep us informed for the ifi ...

I have AP1 + PP ... USB cable still matter and it's not subtle at all for me.

Don't be afraid to try different usb cable, it's MAJOR in SQ ...
I have active 32 feets usb cable, ultraviolet 3 feet and usb to rj45 adaptor ... It's all different sound. It's system dependant ... taste ... RJ45 and ultraviolet are those having the most details. The 32 feets active is just fun to listening because it's a bit "blurry" and I find it more musical to others.

I am sure adding a USB cleaner in the path will give something different again in the equation.

May 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,034 of 1,214
I have been compiling a lot of findings in regards to AP2, AP2 + IFI IUSB, various USB cables and should update very shortly.  It's all sounding very good indeed.

May 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,035 of 1,214

Users who are viewing this thread

Back